Sarahlou1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise that makes me feel like I'm dying
Hello,

I have seen the NICE guidelines for healthy blood glucose levels, does this take into account the size of the individual?

My mum has been a diabetic for 20 years and manages to keep herself right with diet. However she is 5"7 and 6 stone lighter than me. She says she works best between 8 and 10mmol.

I'm currently 13.1 at my lowest and I feel so ill when I'm this low.
My highest has been 19 and I felt very energised but not really ill in any way.
My "normal" blood glucose for my 6ft 20 stone frame is 13 to 15 mmol- and I feel ok, maybe a little irritable and tired, especially after food (OMG food coma is an understatement).
Since I started the metformin I've felt so much worse, I thought this stuff was meant to make you feel better not worse.

Any guidance would be much appreciated. I've kinda just been left to fend for myself from the doc since Monday.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The numbers are a concentration - the size of the individual is of no relevance - but the numbers you are quoting are high, rather dangerously so if they are really the usual levels.
If you lower your levels towards normal there might be some slight sensations of being 'hypo' or of 'carb flu' until you become used to them - but they were quite brief when I had them. I eat low carb foods and found that they lowered my blood glucose levels so they became lower, on average, each week.
I did not like Metformin at all - nor the statin, and stopped taking them, relying on diet alone. I did not feel ill when high, but do feel a lot better now my levels have come down.

Reactions: zand

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Your body gets used to being high and when sugars get lower you (and you mum) experience "false hypos" where you feel rubbish.
You both need to gradually lower the numbers and get used to normal again.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Sarahlou, it is my opinion that over years high blood glucose levels puts people at higher risk of complications and makes it harder to control your levels whatever the body size.

It sounds like what you are experiencing with lower blood sugars are what is called "false hypos" your body is used to running at a higher levels and will take time to get used to the change to the new normal. I don't like the term "false hypo" because there is nothing false about the effect. Your body wants to stay in that sweet spot.

It is great that you can share your experieces with you Mum, is she a member of the forum too?

This is an amazing community of people living with diabetes who have a wealth of knowledge and experience. A great place to get support and up to date information.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello,

I have seen the NICE guidelines for healthy blood glucose levels, does this take into account the size of the individual?

My mum has been a diabetic for 20 years and manages to keep herself right with diet. However she is 5"7 and 6 stone lighter than me. She says she works best between 8 and 10mmol.

My "normal" blood glucose for my 6ft 20 stone frame is 13 to 15 mmol- and I feel ok, maybe a little irritable and tired, especially after food (OMG food coma is an understatement).
Since I started the metformin I've felt so much worse, I thought this stuff was meant to make you feel better not worse.

Any guidance would be much appreciated. I've kinda just been left to fend for myself from the doc since Monday.

Hi @Sarahlou1982 :)

The recommended blood sugar levels are the same whatever your height or weight.

Your levels are too high and although you might feel ok, those higher than recommended levels will be damaging your body.

The fact you felt ill at a blood sugar of 13.1 shows you've been running too high for quite a while. Your body has got used to high levels, but that's not good. See your doctor or nurse, tell them your levels and get some advice about diet and medication if necessary.

Let us know how you get on :)

Jo123

Hi Saralou,
Totally agree with others you get used to running high but in the long term it will make you more likely to have diabetic complications. You really need to get a monitor and test before and two hours after eating, basically you don't want to eat anything which increases your bg more than two points. I found it was carbohydrates which increased my bg the most. You will not feel hungry you can eat more fat to fill you up.
Please have a good read around the forum and come back for more advice.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As others have said, your BS is to high and you feel good with it high because its what your body has become used to .. when you first start to reduce your BS you will feel different, as your body rebells against its lack of sugar.

Reactions: Sarahlou1982

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Hello,

Hi Sarah my levels were like yours a month ago and until they started to come down I didn't realise how poorly I had felt . Persevere and eat plenty of things we can eat ! There's no need to starve and make yourself feel worse . The Metformin will kick in too . Hope you improve soon .

Reactions: Sarahlou1982

Sarahlou1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Sarahlou, it is my opinion that over years high blood glucose levels puts people at higher risk of complications and makes it harder to control your levels whatever the body size.

It sounds like what you are experiencing with lower blood sugars are what is called "false hypos" your body is used to running at a higher levels and will take time to get used to the change to the new normal. I don't like the term "false hypo" because there is nothing false about the effect. Your body wants to stay in that sweet spot.

It is great that you can share your experieces with you Mum, is she a member of the forum too?

This is an amazing community of people living with diabetes who have a wealth of knowledge and experience. A great place to get support and up to date information.

She's not unfortunately. She mentioned about my size being a factor which was why I was a little confused.

Sarahlou1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you so much for replying, I was wondering if you could give me any tips on staying awake after lunch at work.
I'm very worried about it.

Sarahlou1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Sarah my levels were like yours a month ago and until they started to come down I didn't realise how poorly I had felt . Persevere and eat plenty of things we can eat ! There's no need to starve and make yourself feel worse . The Metformin will kick in too . Hope you improve soon .

Thank you

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

Hi and welcome,

Metformin can make people feel poorly at first, especially tummy problems. Usually these wear off after a week or two, but if they don't, there is a different slow release version that is kinder to your tummy, so you could ask your doctor for that.

No matter how tall we are, or how heavy, we all have similar amounts of blood in our bodies, so size has no effect on blood sugar levels.

I agree with all the others. Your levels are far too high and will cause you damage. NICE recommends the following levels:

Fasting and before meals 4 to 7mmol/l
At least 90 minutes after a meal, less than 8.5mmol/l

Even your mum's levels are far too high. Basically, apart from immediately after a meal, you should never be higher than 8.5, and should be well below that at other times.

Diet is the key, and carbohydrates are the culprits. All carbs convert to glucose once inside the system, and all this glucose does us no good at all. Eliminating or seriously reducing bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, breakfast cereals and flour is the way forward.

I'll tag @daisy1 who has some excellent information for newcomers. Please read it carefully, and have a good read round the forum. If you have any questions, just ask.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for replying, I was wondering if you could give me any tips on staying awake after lunch at work.
I'm very worried about it.

Carbohydrate excess makes us sleepy. I expect you are eating to much of it at lunch, and that is why you fall asleep.

Perhaps you could give us some details of what you normally eat in a day and we may spot something?

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Sarahlou1982

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask on the Forum if you have any questions and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why.
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

You say your normal levels are 13 to 15 mmol which is a bit to high.and you mum says she is best between 8 and 10mmol which would also be to high for some people but if she has had diabetes for 20 years...is she T2.. and you say she keeps herself right with diet what diet does she follow and what medication is she on and do you intend to eat the same way as her.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

you´ll get all kinds of adding disease if you stay on such a high level in longer periods, the raised blood glucose seems to be the reason why many end up with infections that can´t heal and then have their legs amputated or get heart attacks...

the blood glucose to aim for is under 6 mmol in fasting levels in the mornings and even lower between meals

this you can achieve by counting the grams of carbs you eat daily, most can get low enough by not eating more than 100 grams of carbs on a whole day... the most easy way is to eat a breakfast totally without carbs like bacon and eggs or an avocado or cheese with nuts and no bread.. or if one miss bread a lot LIDL has some freshly baked protein rolls that only contain very little carbs...

so try to eat meat, fish (without coating) cheese, nuts, avocadoes, only vegs grown over ground like tomatoes cucumbers salats spinach broccolli onions mushrooms...pork schratchings , berries with whipped cream

NO bread pasta sugar and fruits NO cerials NO cakes.