1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Newbie recovering from coma

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Waterfall 888, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Dave Wilde

Dave Wilde · Member

I got TID after diabetic ketoacidosis with a blood sugar of 70. I was in a psychosis and coma. I’m still very depressed and feel very vulnerable. I thought it was only kids that got this. It all happened so fast. At times I’ve even felt suicidal. I was so fit and yet it still got me. I still struggle 9 months after being in ITU with the diagnosis. I have vitiligo which is linked and autoimmune disorders are rife in my family

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Swillbos

Swillbos LADA · Active Member

Gosh, Dave and Waterfall, you have both had shocking introductions to the LADA club! Such a close brush with death is bound to have a lasting impact while you deal with post traumatic stress and unwanted new realities. This year marks my 20th anniversary of ovarian cancer, which completely turned my life upside down. I now look back and it's almost as if it happened to another person, but it takes time to get perspective. I don't personally subscribe to the "best thing that ever happened" club, but, and without wanting to sound too morbid, I am profoundly grateful for knowledge of my own mortality. If you can get your head round it, it does help in difficult times. Hugs and the very best of luck x

• Like Like x 1
  3. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Waterfall 888 and @Dave Wilde, your introductions to LADA/T1 sound horrific. I was lucky in that I knew enough about diabetes to suspect it was what was happening to me before I went to see my GP, so the diagnosis was no real surprise. What was a whole new scenario was managing T1 on top of having only moved in with my new partner 3 months earlier. I hope you both have people around you who are as supportive as he was as it really makes a difference.

35 years on, so much of it has become routine. There are undoubtedly still times when I resent it and want days off, and I think that applies to just about everyone. It's getting through all the adjustments and for you @Waterfall 888 coping with other consequences. As others have said, I'd be clear at interviews that you have memory gaps and why; I'd also be clear about whether your memory is working properly now, and it is purely the past which is affected. I think it's great that you're looking forward because we sure as heck can't go back. There's so much support available on here and you've had a lot of good advice already; nothing to add here except well done on getting to where you are and keep on going - good luck both of you!

• Like Like x 4
  4. Waterfall 888

Waterfall 888 LADA · Well-Known Member

Thank you. Amazing! Good advice much appreciated.

5. Waterfall 888

Good to know. Thank you so much. Appreciate the support.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Waterfall 888

It's the years of experience that gives me hope. Thanks for sharing your support. It has been a,lonely journey but can only go upwards from here. I was very active climbing mountains before diagnosis and my mild symptoms were put down to early menopause. It is what is.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Waterfall 888

You are not alone. it is horrific. Same route as you. Finding the journey bringing other issues health, work, friendships making recovery so much harder. I take it day by day and on bad days meal by meal. I start the day with positive affirmations and end the day with gratitude. Music helps a lot and walking in the park even for 5 minutes. I tell myself I am amazing when I inject. Cheesy I know but it keeps me going. Even when done through gritted teeth. Good luck.

8. Waterfall 888

Hi od
    Thanks. Your positive message is so heartwarming and inspirational. It is good to hear!

9. Honeyend

Honeyend · Well-Known Member

I suffer from post illness, I do not how to discribe it really, I just not as sharpe as I was. I would like to go back to work but I know that at this point, as you say you look well on the outside, I am not back to normal.
    I am volenteering in charity shop, just a couple of hours at a time, I sleep two hours when I get home, just to get in to the habit of driving to work, doing something, and coming home. It gives you something to put on our CV.
    I became ill suddenly like you, and it really knocks your confidence, I worry about being ill again, but there is nothing to do but push on, and if its even just a little progress each day it all adds up. I eat a fair amount of protein, and I think this has helped with my recovery.
    I do not know is I will ever go back to my profession, which after 40 years is hard, but I get lots of enjoyment out of life, and that really the main thing.

• Hug Hug x 1
  10. Laneysystem

Laneysystem Type 1 · Newbie

11. JTL

JTL Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Wow you were hit hard!
    Well done for picking up the pieces and trying to get them back together again.
    Really really well done.
    Art gets you through with me it's my hobby of creating sounds and then trying to make tunes from those sounds and a little more conventional too ... whatever gets you through the night .....
    Keep on looking the world in the eye and moving on .... you're an inspiration.
    Do you upload your art?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook