Newbie recovering from coma

Waterfall 888

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Was diagnosed on my birthday last October when I went into hospital in a diabetic coma. Pretty traumatic - life support, kidney failure, couldn't walk or talk. It's a few months on now and I am getting back into life. People wouldn't know anything was wrong with me if they passed me on the street. I have come a long way but still fragile. I am finding my memory has been affected. There are many gaps from the last few years. I have some interviews coming up soon. I just feel so vulnerable because I am still finding out what my brain is capable of. I know there will be some questions I can't answer because I don't remember things. Am trying so hard to stick to a low carb diet to keep the pancreas function going. The kidneys are normal now. I feel like i have a cold all the time. I got labryinthtis last month which seems to be sticking around. It's been really difficult as I used to be fit and look after others in my job. I have had **** experiences - you really find out who you can rely on when the chips are down. The information on this forum has been brilliant. I am so grateful for all the experience shared. It's so good when someone else understands what you are going through. It is very tough.

Reactions: porl69

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can only suggest that you are open about your past, but optimistic about your future.
I do know someone else who has had a similar experience, though not from diabetes. He has found that his brain has made a recovery, though there are gaps in his memory he, himself, feels that he is back with us.
Now that you have a diagnosis and treatment there is every chance that you'll never be so badly affected again - my own experience with the far less dramatic diagnosis of type two and change to low carbing has changed my own life considerably, for the better - even more than the diagnosis of failed thyroid and a supplement being prescribed and that was quite significant.
You have been through quite a bit of turmoil physically and emotionally - and it is still early days - find some music and dance - do something with colours, go out and see if there are flowers yet - summer is coming.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Waterfall 888

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I can only suggest that you are open about your past, but optimistic about your future.
I do know someone else who has had a similar experience, though not from diabetes. He has found that his brain has made a recovery, though there are gaps in his memory he, himself, feels that he is back with us.
Now that you have a diagnosis and treatment there is every chance that you'll never be so badly affected again - my own experience with the far less dramatic diagnosis of type two and change to low carbing has changed my own life considerably, for the better - even more than the diagnosis of failed thyroid and a supplement being prescribed and that was quite significant.
You have been through quite a bit of turmoil physically and emotionally - and it is still early days - find some music and dance - do something with colours, go out and see if there are flowers yet - summer is coming.
Thanks so much. Was looking at your H scores - motivates me to stick to low carbing. I will dance. Once tried to dance a high bg down. Art helps when it all gets too much. Great advice much appreciated!

Reactions: Lotties

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh no, that sounds so traumatic - sending big hugs. I’m a year older than you (also October birthday) and recently diagnosed late onset type 1 but definitely didn’t have such a shock diagnosis. That’s brilliant that you have come through the worst, you must be a really strong person. It’s so unfair what happened to you, it must feel incredibly stressful and emotionally tough. I absolutely understand the turmoil - the last few months have been the worst of my life and I’m looking forward to Spring as a new start in a way, where I’ll be in a much better place emotionally and physically - and you too :)

Waterfall 888

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh no, that sounds so traumatic - sending big hugs. I’m a year older than you (also October birthday) and recently diagnosed late onset type 1 but definitely didn’t have such a shock diagnosis. That’s brilliant that you have come through the worst, you must be a really strong person. It’s so unfair what happened to you, it must feel incredibly stressful and emotionally tough. I absolutely understand the turmoil - the last few months have been the worst of my life and I’m looking forward to Spring as a new start in a way, where I’ll be in a much better place emotionally and physically - and you too :)
I am totally get how you are feeling. It's so overwhelming. Thanks for your support. Am so grateful for the freestyle libre cgm. Wouldn't have the confidence to go and about without it. Hope things get easier for you too.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Was diagnosed on my birthday last October when I went into hospital in a diabetic coma. Pretty traumatic - life support, kidney failure, couldn't walk or talk. It's a few months on now and I am getting back into life. People wouldn't know anything was wrong with me if they passed me on the street. I have come a long way but still fragile. I am finding my memory has been affected. There are many gaps from the last few years. I have some interviews coming up soon. I just feel so vulnerable because I am still finding out what my brain is capable of. I know there will be some questions I can't answer because I don't remember things. Am trying so hard to stick to a low carb diet to keep the pancreas function going. The kidneys are normal now. I feel like i have a cold all the time. I got labryinthtis last month which seems to be sticking around. It's been really difficult as I used to be fit and look after others in my job. I have had **** experiences - you really find out who you can rely on when the chips are down. The information on this forum has been brilliant. I am so grateful for all the experience shared. It's so good when someone else understands what you are going through. It is very tough.

Your post took my breath away. I gave you a winner because you are! You were thrown in at the deep end and swam for your life.

Doing these interviews must make you very anxious. But I'm positive the more you do the easier it will become. It has only been a few months since your ordeal began. Is it possible for you to explain about your memory loss in the interview? So people can really hear everything you have to say. Great that your kidney function is normal again. What a relief.

Thank goodness for this forum. It is such an amazing support system. We all support each other. And the understanding is phenomenal.

Reactions: JMoli

Lucylemonpip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, well done and good luck for the interviews. You obviously have a great strength of character and have lots to be proud of by what you have achieved, I am sure there were times when you thought you’d never get better, but you have and will continue to do so. :)

A low carb diet is a big change. I’m a Type 2 and my HbA1c was 50. I’ve looked at recipes etc, but find them so full of different ingredients and seem quite a faff, if I’m honest. Lol. I experiment now and again, but mostly just want to eat ‘normally’, as it were and I don’t mean rice, pasta, bread and potatoes etc, as I obviously avoid those. I mean, ‘basic’ and quickish kinds of meals. Here is what most of my meals are:

1.) Salmon fillets x 2 (Sainsbury’s frozen) baked in foil with a bit of butter and lemon juice, with a mixed leaf salad and a couple or 3 small baby plum tomatoes, plus a few cubes of Feta cheese. I use low carb balsamic salad dressing, along with a smallish spoonful of sweet chilli sauce (this is a bit indulgent, but my bg is ok with it).

2.) Pork chops, or pork medallions fried in butter, plus salad, toms and feta, as above with salad dressing. Small blob of French mustard.

3.) Chicken slices with salad, as above, plus some bacon rashers, some cheddar cheese and a bit of chutney that I did actually make, as its low sugar.

4.) Steak fried, with fried mushrooms and salad, as above. Maybe some bacon as well.

5.) Omelette - cheese and tomato or mushroom and / or bacon or ham.

6.) Sausages (Linda McCartney vegetarian ones), with broccoli or kale, as below.

With some of the meals above, like the pork and steak ones, I’ll swap out the salad with oven baked kale or broccoli, having baked them with a covering of some olive oil, balsamic vinegar, pepper and garlic granules. Very nice and surprisingly tasty. I also like sliced runner beans. I do like salmon quite a bit, so will usually have that twice a week. I generally don’t eat Lamb, but that’s another avenue for eating, with lamb chops and lamb shank slow cooked etc. Then, of course, there are beef stews and such. Simple, but easy to make meals. You could also batch cook stews and freeze them for another time.

When we do eat out, I’ll have something like an all day breakfast, or like the other day, I had scampi, chips and salad. I gave my husband some more chips! Lol. Luckily, my bg only goes up by 2 or 3, so to compensate I’ll get on my exercise bike and do 3 miles while watching a favourite tv programme, to bring it back down and maybe do a 14hr fast from later that evening, which also helps set things straight again.

I hope the above helps a bit. :)

Reactions: Lizzie2 and Lotties

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Am trying so hard to stick to a low carb diet to keep the pancreas function going.

So you're T1/LADA ? (I ask this because T1s stop producing insulin sooner or later). While many of us T1s (including me) find a low carb diet helpful because it helps reduce tall he amount of insulin we take, there is no need to fear insulin. It is the T1's friend.

So sorry you had such a dramatic start to diabetes. 50 years T1 here, things do get easier.:)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gosh, @Waterfall 888 , that's quite an ordeal you have been through. I'm so pleased for you that you seem to be looking towards the future and trying to grasp your new normal.

In my late 20s I had a period of ill-health (nothing to do with diabetes) and I have lost some time. It took me a very long time to accept I would never remember what happened in those blank spaces and have stopped trying to fill in the blanks.

Of course, that may not be an appropriate course of action for you, but I'm sure, given time, you will find your own way of dealing with it.

In terms of your interviews; t isn't clear if you are the interviewer or interviewee, but perhaps it might ease yourmind or help you relax a little if you make some notes before the interviews? If you sort of know what you have forgotten (of course it's unlikely to be that straightforward) a few notes might just help as in-fills during the meeting. It might also be quite useful to take notes during your interviews if you can, so that if asked anything you have forgotten you can use that aide memoire as a means of trying to fill in the blanks, or develop strategies for the future.

Were I in your shoes, and were I the interviewee, I might try to get my mindset into a place whereby I maybe could allot the first one or two interviews almost as research and to learn a bit more about how I coped and what strategies I might put into place moving forward.

I really do wish you all the very best for your ongoing recovery. Recovering from blows such as you have experienced takes time. Don't be too anxious if it doesn't all fall into place at once. That's not likely to happen, but your attitude so far suggests you'll find a way.

Best wishes and please let us know how you get along with things.

Waterfall 888

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Your post took my breath away. I gave you a winner because you are! You were thrown in at the deep end and swam for your life.

Doing these interviews must make you very anxious. But I'm positive the more you do the easier it will become. It has only been a few months since your ordeal began. Is it possible for you to explain about your memory loss in the interview? So people can really hear everything you have to say. Great that your kidney function is normal again. What a relief.

Thank goodness for this forum. It is such an amazing support system. We all support each other. And the understanding is phenomenal.
Thanks for your suggestions. Much appreciated.

Waterfall 888

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, well done and good luck for the interviews. You obviously have a great strength of character and have lots to be proud of by what you have achieved, I am sure there were times when you thought you’d never get better, but you have and will continue to do so. :)

A low carb diet is a big change. I’m a Type 2 and my HbA1c was 50. I’ve looked at recipes etc, but find them so full of different ingredients and seem quite a faff, if I’m honest. Lol. I experiment now and again, but mostly just want to eat ‘normally’, as it were and I don’t mean rice, pasta, bread and potatoes etc, as I obviously avoid those. I mean, ‘basic’ and quickish kinds of meals. Here is what most of my meals are:

1.) Salmon fillets x 2 (Sainsbury’s frozen) baked in foil with a bit of butter and lemon juice, with a mixed leaf salad and a couple or 3 small baby plum tomatoes, plus a few cubes of Feta cheese. I use low carb balsamic salad dressing, along with a smallish spoonful of sweet chilli sauce (this is a bit indulgent, but my bg is ok with it).

2.) Pork chops, or pork medallions fried in butter, plus salad, toms and feta, as above with salad dressing. Small blob of French mustard.

3.) Chicken slices with salad, as above, plus some bacon rashers, some cheddar cheese and a bit of chutney that I did actually make, as its low sugar.

4.) Steak fried, with fried mushrooms and salad, as above. Maybe some bacon as well.

5.) Omelette - cheese and tomato or mushroom and / or bacon or ham.

6.) Sausages (Linda McCartney vegetarian ones), with broccoli or kale, as below.

With some of the meals above, like the pork and steak ones, I’ll swap out the salad with oven baked kale or broccoli, having baked them with a covering of some olive oil, balsamic vinegar, pepper and garlic granules. Very nice and surprisingly tasty. I also like sliced runner beans. I do like salmon quite a bit, so will usually have that twice a week. I generally don’t eat Lamb, but that’s another avenue for eating, with lamb chops and lamb shank slow cooked etc. Then, of course, there are beef stews and such. Simple, but easy to make meals. You could also batch cook stews and freeze them for another time.

When we do eat out, I’ll have something like an all day breakfast, or like the other day, I had scampi, chips and salad. I gave my husband some more chips! Lol. Luckily, my bg only goes up by 2 or 3, so to compensate I’ll get on my exercise bike and do 3 miles while watching a favourite tv programme, to bring it back down and maybe do a 14hr fast from later that evening, which also helps set things straight again.

I hope the above helps a bit. :)

That does help! Thanks. So good to know what to eat. Am thin and have GERD. Trying to manage keeping weight up and not have reflux. My HB was off the chart in hospital but 53 in Jan. Next test is June. Apparently I am in the honeymoon period. Am giving 1'5 units of fiasp with meals and was taken off tresiba a few weeks ago. Watching diet carefully lentil soup,black pudding and corn on the cob makes my bs go high :) Still so much to learn. Good to hear how well folk are doing. Makes me feel hopeful.

Waterfall 888

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So you're T1/LADA ? (I ask this because T1s stop producing insulin sooner or later). While many of us T1s (including me) find a low carb diet helpful because it helps reduce tall he amount of insulin we take, there is no need to fear insulin. It is the T1's friend.

So sorry you had such a dramatic start to diabetes. 50 years T1 here, things do get easier.:)
Yes. I must be Lada. Still getting used to it all. Good to hear it gets easier!! Have read if you keep low carb after T1-diagnosis some folk kept some of their pancreas function. I guess everyone is different. I take insulin with meals but no background one needed for honeymoon period. Low carb has stopped hypos and is keeping my bs stable. I am taking it day by day so much to learn.

Waterfall 888

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Gosh, @Waterfall 888 , that's quite an ordeal you have been through. I'm so pleased for you that you seem to be looking towards the future and trying to grasp your new normal.

In my late 20s I had a period of ill-health (nothing to do with diabetes) and I have lost some time. It took me a very long time to accept I would never remember what happened in those blank spaces and have stopped trying to fill in the blanks.

Of course, that may not be an appropriate course of action for you, but I'm sure, given time, you will find your own way of dealing with it.

In terms of your interviews; t isn't clear if you are the interviewer or interviewee, but perhaps it might ease yourmind or help you relax a little if you make some notes before the interviews? If you sort of know what you have forgotten (of course it's unlikely to be that straightforward) a few notes might just help as in-fills during the meeting. It might also be quite useful to take notes during your interviews if you can, so that if asked anything you have forgotten you can use that aide memoire as a means of trying to fill in the blanks, or develop strategies for the future.

Were I in your shoes, and were I the interviewee, I might try to get my mindset into a place whereby I maybe could allot the first one or two interviews almost as research and to learn a bit more about how I coped and what strategies I might put into place moving forward.

I really do wish you all the very best for your ongoing recovery. Recovering from blows such as you have experienced takes time. Don't be too anxious if it doesn't all fall into place at once. That's not likely to happen, but your attitude so far suggests you'll find a way.

Best wishes and please let us know how you get along with things.

Thank you. Such good advice. I am the interviewee and it's something very close to my heart that I have been working on for a couple of years. Will try the suggestions. They are very useful. It's having these goals that made me well and keeps me going. Future decisions need to consider health and well-being now and maybe taking alternative routes. Something I need to accept. Your supportive message was very appreciated.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. Such good advice. I am the interviewee and it's something very close to my heart that I have been working on for a couple of years. Will try the suggestions. They are very useful. It's having these goals that made me well and keeps me going. Future decisions need to consider health and well-being now and maybe taking alternative routes. Something I need to accept. Your supportive message was very appreciated.

Waterfall, my the only thing I'd like to chip in at this time is to ask you not to make too many big decisions at this time, that you could not easily change.

Moving forward from my period of ill-health, for quite a while (it's a long time ago now, so I would be disingenuous to put a time-frame on it) I felt quite weak and maybe even a but frail, but as I recovered more I began to realise that having fought my way back from that abyss of illness, I could probably achieve anything. OK, "anything" is a massive over statement, but it did help me to realise that I have more grit, determination and drive that I knew before. Those attributes are things I see in many people who have faced adversity of one kind or another, including those living with diabetes.

Just take things steady. You'll know where your boundaries are, but sometimes its just good to "be" for a while and look at bigger challenges at another time.

Waterfall 888

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Waterfall, my the only thing I'd like to chip in at this time is to ask you not to make too many big decisions at this time, that you could not easily change.

Moving forward from my period of ill-health, for quite a while (it's a long time ago now, so I would be disingenuous to put a time-frame on it) I felt quite weak and maybe even a but frail, but as I recovered more I began to realise that having fought my way back from that abyss of illness, I could probably achieve anything. OK, "anything" is a massive over statement, but it did help me to realise that I have more grit, determination and drive that I knew before. Those attributes are things I see in many people who have faced adversity of one kind or another, including those living with diabetes.

Just take things steady. You'll know where your boundaries are, but sometimes its just good to "be" for a while and look at bigger challenges at another time.
Thank you. I will ponder over your advice and see where it takes me. There is nothing like the wisdom of someone who has been there and done that. Much appreciated.

Lizzie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

Waterfall - after all that you've been through an interview will be a doddle.
You should be really proud of yourself. What you’ve been through must have been incredibly tough and here you are - out the other side. Well done.
As someone said I’d be totally honest and up front about everything. Take a copy of your CV and anything else you have sent to the people doing the interviews and keep it handy, you could always enlarge it to make it easy for you to glance at if you need to.
Lucylemonpip’s menu suggestions look great so enjoy them.

Reactions: Waterfall 888

NéjiSaïdi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fake knowledge
Hi

You are doing a great job. Keep the low carb diet going. I think you might try ramping up fat (mostly animal source fats + olive + flax seed and nuts) in your diet. You might want to know that we can regenerate brain cells and synaptic connections. Keep it up.

Reactions: Waterfall 888