Newbie to forum

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect that your apple and orange had rather more carbs than you think - double or triple, depending on the size.
I am very sensitive to carbs and eat 40 gm per day maximum. With the restriction on going out, I am eating even fewer, but these are strange times.
With normal exercise I was able to maintain normal blood glucose and not gain weight year on year.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
How on earth did you get your blood sugars down while still eating porridge, cereal and fruit...!? Are you magic? (Colour me impressed!) :)

Anyway, hello. You've probably already seen the Nutritional Thingy as I scatter it around here quite liberally, but I'm another one who keeps to about 20 grams or less of carbs a day. Eggs really do help things along. As does just having tea or coffee for breakfast. :)
Hello to you too. Yes I wonder myself now also how I remained in remission - although may be not now as my last bloods were due in March and got cancelled - they would have been interesting (may be not) - back on the straight and narrow now - better late that not at all but this is probably why my bloods have been creeping back up a tad and also I probably wasn't testing that much over the last year as I was in remission but also my bloods have not gone down more like a lot of other people on this and hopefully they will now I am back on track - one positive out of lockdown I am back on track and have discovered you friendly lovely people. Take care and Keep safe

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect that your apple and orange had rather more carbs than you think - double or triple, depending on the size.
I am very sensitive to carbs and eat 40 gm per day maximum. With the restriction on going out, I am eating even fewer, but these are strange times.
With normal exercise I was able to maintain normal blood glucose and not gain weight year on year.
Hi there - I hope you are well. Yes I have been eating cereal, apples and oranges regularly thinking I was eating healthy - I think I read somewhere that fruit was ok for diabetics as it was full of fibre and it was only fruit juice that was bad but perhaps this may some reasons why my blood sugar has been going up and not down! Hopefully, now I am back on track I will see it go down. Yes very strange times at the moment and with the fear of COVID-19 I had started testing again and was getting 7s, 8s and even 9s and you lovely people have re-educated me, as up until this point I had absolutely no idea how many carbs were too much - the enemy for us eh. Also, upping my walking with having more time which should help matters too. Take care and keep safe.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello to you too. Yes I wonder myself now also how I remained in remission - although may be not now as my last bloods were due in March and got cancelled - they would have been interesting (may be not) - back on the straight and narrow now - better late that not at all but this is probably why my bloods have been creeping back up a tad and also I probably wasn't testing that much over the last year as I was in remission but also my bloods have not gone down more like a lot of other people on this and hopefully they will now I am back on track - one positive out of lockdown I am back on track and have discovered you friendly lovely people. Take care and Keep safe
You have a very positive outlook, which is completely justified: You'll get your blood sugars back to perfection soon, I'm sure!

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Another hello and welcome from me too.

I'm another that has gone very low carb- less than 20 grams a day and have reduced my HbA1c by doing so. I've also lost weight without counting calories. My cholesterol has gone up but not my Trigs. My view is that as I am losing weight and using fat for fuel there will be fat in my system particularly as I have a lot of weight to lose. There are some great threads to read up on cholesterol. I think @bulkbiker is the authority.

Welcome and Good luck

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Another hello and welcome from me too.

I'm another that has gone very low carb- less than 20 grams a day and have reduced my HbA1c by doing so. I've also lost weight without counting calories. My cholesterol has gone up but not my Trigs. My view is that as I am losing weight and using fat for fuel there will be fat in my system particularly as I have a lot of weight to lose. There are some great threads to read up on cholesterol. I think @bulkbiker is the authority.

Welcome and Good luck
Hello to you too! I too reduced my HbA1c into non diabetic range by purely cutting down on carbs (and even at that not really low carb as I have learned from being on this) purely just cutting out obvious carbs to me such as pasta, pizza, baked potatoes, chips etc. I never really had a sweet tooth more savoury. I lost almost 3 stone in the first year which I think helped also - so keep going and don't give up! I have actually just joined up to this as I have fell off the wagon again not deliberately but probably just got a bit laid back about things as the last 2 years I had non-diabetic readings - I never got my bloods done or review in March but suspect my BS will have gone up as I have had some readings on my meter of 6s,7s,8s ad even a couple of 9s a few weeks back and I had put on a stone over the winter into March this year. But I am back on it and have lost 12 pounds which hasn't been easy but now I only have 2 more pounds to go and that's the stone back off and now doesn't seem so bad as I remembered it had done to lose the first couple of pounds at the end of March. Keep going the weight will come off if you keep at it honestly - I think probably 5/6 years ago I was probably about 5 stone heavier. I am now a petite 9 stone 2 pounds. Oh and I have now cut down on portion size quite considerably. Lovely to chat to you. Take care.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
How on earth did you get your blood sugars down while still eating porridge, cereal and fruit...!? Are you magic? (Colour me impressed!) :)

Anyway, hello. You've probably already seen the Nutritional Thingy as I scatter it around here quite liberally, but I'm another one who keeps to about 20 grams or less of carbs a day. Eggs really do help things along. As does just having tea or coffee for breakfast. :)
That's a good question. We're all built differently. I too can tolerate porridge for breakfast with no adverse effects. I don't know why. I don't have other cereals and very little fruit, they do cause me problems. I'll qualify it by saying that it must be traditional rolled oats and not the quick oats. 50g of Lowan brand plus the milk is around 30g of carbs. Normally I restrict carbs to 20g per meal. Occasionally 30g but only low GI types. Guess it comes down to the individual's physiology. Of course, I wouldn't know any of this without access to a BG meter.