Andybuff2000

Hi, another newbie, was diagnosed t2 a couple of days before Christmas, with a reading of 85, doc put me on sukkarto, and going ok, haven't had any of the side effects, previously ate a high carb diet and have a sweet tooth, drinking lots of sugary drinks, cut those completely and stick to water or zero sugar squash. Cut my carbs and trying to stick to 50 gr a day, waiting for an appointment with diabetes nurse. Going to get a meter, any other suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Reactions: urbanracer

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, another newbie, was diagnosed t2 a couple of days before Christmas, with a reading of 85, doc put me on sukkarto, and going ok, haven't had any of the side effects, previously ate a high carb diet and have a sweet tooth, drinking lots of sugary drinks, cut those completely and stick to water or zero sugar squash. Cut my carbs and trying to stick to 50 gr a day, waiting for an appointment with diabetes nurse. Going to get a meter, any other suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
You're well on your way, by the sound of it... You're being proactive, getting a meter and cutting down the carbs... The sweet tooth will vanish as your palette adjusts and your carb cravings go away, give that a moment. Should you experience fatigue, muscle/joint pain or headaches, have some extra salt, maybe some magnesium, as you'll need a moment to get your electrolytes back in balance, when you make drastic changes in diet.

But all in all... You got on the right track extremely fast. Well done. Seems to me you're going to have this thing beat in no time at all.

Good luck!
Jo
PS: Redundant, but still: https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html Just in case there's something in there you didn't already know. :)

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome to the forum.

You sound like you have made a great start. Good luck and keep reading around- there is a lot of wisdom on this site.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

No snacking really helps. Only eat if you are hungry and not just because it is a certain time of day. You don’t need three meals a day, especially if you aren’t truly hungry. Good luck.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. You're doing all the right things. Make sure you have enough proteins and fats to balance the lower carbs

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No snacking really helps. Only eat if you are hungry and not just because it is a certain time of day. You don’t need three meals a day, especially if you aren’t truly hungry. Good luck.
@Andybuff2000
For me, carbs give me the munchies. If I want to snack in between meals (I generally eat once, maybe twice, a day) I know I have underdone either the fat or the protein or overdone the carbs. My first goto on snacking is to drink tea, coffee or water. If that doesn't work (and it often doesn't for me) I eat something high fat or high protein or both, like coffee with double cream, pork scratchings, some corned beef, cooked chicken or a slice of butter. If it was carbs that caused the problem it can take me a day of wanting to snack every few minutes to get over it. I've very recently started testing and my food cravings outside meals are correlating with blood sugar levels lowering after a meal.
So, if snacking between meals is or becomes a problem, there are some snacks that stave off a roller coaster effect.
Good luck !