Maureen B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I was diagnosed in august of last year, type 2. I’m on metformin and jardiance.
Yesterday, I felt so ill, I don’t know it it’s diabetic related. I felt shaky, light headed, tired and so very thirsty. I don’t feel so bad today, apart from the insatiable thirst. Could this be diabetic related?

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Maureen B and welcome to the forum. The shaky/light-headed/tired/thirst feeling is something I can identify with - I was always thirsty and tired while my blood glucose was high. Less so the other two.

I've never been on metformin or jardiance so can't say if it's anything you might expect from those. I'm sure other people will be able to comment.

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello and welcome Maureen. Do you have a glucose monitor? That will show you where you are with things

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I was diagnosed in august of last year, type 2. I’m on metformin and jardiance.
Yesterday, I felt so ill, I don’t know it it’s diabetic related. I felt shaky, light headed, tired and so very thirsty. I don’t feel so bad today, apart from the insatiable thirst. Could this be diabetic related?
Hi @Maureen B , welcome to the forum.

Had you eaten a lot more carbs than usual when you felt so ill?
Do you have a meter to test your blood glucose?

Being on Jardiance, there is a very small risk of something called ketoacidosis, even without high blood glucose.
Should you feel nauseous, develop a stomach ache, funny breathing, or a strange fruity smell on your breath, seek medical help immediately.
I assume you don't have any ketostix to test for ketones?

If in doubt, please call 111 for advice.

Good luck, and let us know how you are!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It could be diabetes related however it is all too easy to blame any symptom on our diabetes. Get yourself checked out if this reoccurs.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And this is why a monitor is crucial... It does sound like high blood glucose, but without a meter, we're just guessing... So you might want to invest in one. We can make an educated guess, though... What did you eat before you felt this way? Almost all carbs turn to glucose once ingested, so if it was a carb-heavy meal, then yeah... High blood sugars are likely. But maybe for next time, get a little stabby with a finger prick test? It'll tell you loads, and it will help us help you, as well.

Anyway, welcome, and hopefully you'll feel better soon!
Jo

Maureen B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you everyone for replying. I don’t have a glucose monitor but, I will definitely invest in one.

Maureen B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you everyone for replying. I don’t have a glucose monitor but, I will definitely invest in one.

Reactions: Debandez