Josie49

Hi, I'm Jo and was diagnosed with T2 Diabetes earlier this week, at the moment I'm in shock, in denial and feel so alone.

so far I've been given 500mg metformin twice a day and simvastatin 40mg once a day

results of a recent fasting blood test was 7. something (non fasting blood test was 8.4) and i don't know the choloresterol was?

I've told to write down a diet sheet and make an appointment with the dietitian and the Dr has booked me a place on an all day course and going to get my eyesight checked ( retinopathy?)

but at the moment I'm still eating what I was and wondering if I'm eating the right foods, Dr hasn't said anything about testing blood sugar levels before or after meals so I'm assuming I will be told all about this on this course?

what else oh yes, last month my Mum was told she has stage 4 lung cancer and me and hubby are taking her to chemo sessions each week

Jo x

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Jo and welcome to the forum :)

I'm very sorry to hear about your Mother.

Here is the information we give to new members. I hope it will be useful to you. Ask all the questions you need and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 70,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear Josie49,
I'm sorry to hear of your and your Mums' problem. If it's any help you have found the right place for help and advice over your T2 diabetes and of you recent diagnosis. It comes as quite a considerable shock to all of us when first diagnosed 'It can't possibly be right, or it cant be ME' we've all been there and in the early denial stage.

Diabetes is a very complex condition and in the first instant after diagnosis there seems to be so much to take in and learn, so don't worry unduly, you'll get through it, we all have, just take one day at a time and don't try to take in or learn everyting at once. Keep a notebook and jot down the things that intrest you and over a short time you'll soon be talking 'diabetes' just like the rest of us !!!!

As for the Metformin that you've been prescribed, incase you haven't been told that there are a few side effects with this medication, particulaly common when you are first put on it. I think I personally worked through all the listed side effects and then a few more besides. I personally found it better to go onto the Metformin slowly, starting with a half dose (I split the 500mg tablets in two) and weaned myself using the half dose for the first week or so before going onto the full dose.

If you have any furthur diabetic questions then please feel free to ask as there are many of us who will only be to willing to help.

Best Wishes - Lazybones

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Welcome to the very large world of diabetics; you are not alone! Daisy has given you some good advice and links. Yes, diet is key and you need to reduce your carbs as far as necessary to keep your blood sugar in the right range. Do get hold of a meter regardless of what the doc says as it enables you to check what foods affect you most. The doc may advise against it and that will be due to the cost of the test strips. You don't need to test every day but test after certain meals. Testing 2 hours after the meal is usually adequate to keep the cost down rather than doing before and after. Keep any carbs you do have low-GI where you can. Don't worry too much about fats despite what you may be told by the dietician. Diabetes is a condition where the body can't manage carbs properly hence the need to reduce them. The doc will probably do an HBa1C blood test in 3 months or so and this will tell you the average blood sugar over the previous 3 months.

Josie49

Hi, thanks for the welcome, sorry for not being back, I had an appointment with the nurse practitioner on friday and had a chat, I managed to get my HbA1c results = 47 and fasting blood test which is 7.0 exactly.

She agreed that eating without testing and not knowing what I'm eating is like eating blind, anyway she gave me a monitor, True Results and 10 testing strips, had four attempts before working out what to do with it!

anyway this morning's reading before breakfast was 5.6 and two and half hours later was 5.4, are they good results? and I had a chocolate biscuit with my cup of tea!

I have an appointment with the dietitian next week.

and hubby is now concerned that the Dr that diagnosed me as T2 diabetic is being over-cautious.

Jo

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear Josie49,
On their own these two results won't give you the whole picture, though by themselves they are very, very good.

Your Doctor will have the whole picture with both your HbA1c result, which will show him/her the average value of your Blood Glucose levels over the 120 days that preceeded your blood test. It is possibe to diagnose Type 2 diabetes from the HbA1C result alone, but this will usually be supported by the early morning 12 hour fasting blood test which in order to be proven as diabetic the individual will need to have reached or exceed 7.0 mmol/L (Plasma) usually on 2 closely timed occasions, though with a HbA1C result that indicates 'Diabetes' it is usual that only the one fasting blood test may be all that is needed.

It comes as a shock to all of us to be diagnosed as 'Diabetic' as it's something that always happens to someone else, but when it does come to us, after we get over the initial rejection, anger and denial, we all come to realise that it is better that it was found out when it was so that medications (if they are needed) or revised diet and lifestyle changes can be quickly implimented which will only help in preventing an otherwise 'crippling and accute condition' from ever reaching that particular stage in the indivual's life.

If you follow the diabetic rules, eat well and sensible, exercise (dancing, walking swimming etc:) diabetes can be tamed and you can live out a normal life.

You've done well so far, it does get easier with time - Lazybones