Newcastle Diet but still elevated Glucose levels

Time2Change

I am in my 3rd week of the Newcastle diet but found that my glucose levels are consistently in double figures e.g. between 11 and 14 throughout the day.

Is this due to fatty liver dumping or am I probably going to have to consider a more aggressive medication package ?

Currently on Metformin 2*500mg

• Hug
Reactions: JoKalsbeek

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi, How are you getting on with your 'Newcastle Diet'? How much weight have you lost and how much more is wanted?
Metformin even at maximum dose is unlikely to have a huge effect on your Blood Glucose.

The theory behind the diet is that the reduction in weight (which is mainly body fat) will reduce your Insulin resistance, which will make your own natural insulin more effective and thus reduce your Blood Glucose. There is another effect which varies a bit depending upon what the actual diet consists of i.e. how much Protein, how much fat and how much carbohydrates.

The fewer of the calories which come from carbohydrates, the lower your Blood Glucose is likely to be. - This is because all digested carbohydrates turn into glucose (both sugars and starches), so the more carbohydrates in your particular Newcastle Diet, the higher your glucose regardless of the total calories.

If your ND is low in carbs then it's probable that your liver is (at least occasionally) dumping glucose. Livers do that a lot until they get accustomed to lower glucose levels. That is what the Metformin is supposed to reduce and 3 weeks isn't that long,

I have not personally used ND, instead I used Low Carb for my T2 Diabetes control and remission. For me it was easier to adjust my carb intake in order to reduce my BG than to reduce my calories and hope that would reduce my BG.

Consistently high BG numbers during the day when not eating very frequently, sounds like a there may be non-food reason. There are many of these, but the most common include:
Injury
Illness
Stress
Lack of Sleep
Medication such as Statins or Steroids

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am in my 3rd week of the Newcastle diet but found that my glucose levels are consistently in double figures e.g. between 11 and 14 throughout the day.

Is this due to fatty liver dumping or am I probably going to have to consider a more aggressive medication package ?

Hi @Time2Change. When you say you are on Newcastle diet, can you be specific about what you are using for nutrition? I ask this because some folks have suggested wide variations. For example, some follow the original method of 3 meal replacement shakes plus two servings of veg per day. Others use real food and restrict that to 800 calories a day.

Time2Change

Hi @Time2Change. When you say you are on Newcastle diet, can you be specific about what you are using for nutrition? I ask this because some folks have suggested wide variations. For example, some follow the original method of 3 meal replacement shakes plus two servings of veg per day. Others use real food and restrict that to 800 calories a day.
Started on the original shake one but found that i cut down to 1 or two and just have extra veg and salad.

I came off it at the weekend there because the results have been poor and my levels are in the 20's now !

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Started on the original shake one but found that i cut down to 1 or two and just have extra veg and salad.

I came off it at the weekend there because the results have been poor and my levels are in the 20's now !
Could you be a tad bit more specific? List what you had at every mealtime? What have you been eating since you came off it at the weekend?

Keep an eye on your levels, and if you start feeling ill at any point, call 111 and tell them your numbers are high.

lawrence21360

i found that my weight has reduced significantly either if i mix one or two shakes with equivalent meals of about 250 kcals or solely with shakes which is more difficult and boring to sustain .i dont drink alcohol because of liverprobs which has helpbut newc diet works for me my hbiac is about 40 mmol down ffrom 60

Reactions: Pipp