People mainly.
Quick update because I can't leave this bloody meter alone... 8.5 :mrgreen:

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Brilliant :thumbup:

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
Thanks xy,

Rest assured, all family have been contacted at this late hour to let them know :lol:

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
Had some strange goings on with the meter this morning.

Woke at 8:30 and recorded 9.7, then about ten minutes ago I thought i would do another and recorded 13.8. My heart was in my mouth and couldn't figure out what was going on, so took a reading from my index finger and it was 11.2. Confused, I broke out the control solutions and carried out the tests using both high and low solutions and both came back ok, so tried the thumb on my right hand and recorded a result of 11.3.

I don't always change the needle on the fastclix device I use so I am presuming there was some issue with that or something on my left thumb as i then cleaned my left thumb with an alcohol swab (I let it dry and all evaporate) and changed the needle and tested again, 11.4 so everything seems to be back to normal regarding the metter and testing procedure, but it is still pretty high given what my waking result was.

I can only presume that as recently my sleeping pattern has been skewed to going to bed in the early hours and waking later in the day that the liver is dumping glucose later in the day as a result?

Anyway, no biggie, but just thought I would put it in the thread as part of the record of the journey.

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
day 4 (and final day) of the fast and 1 week of the ND results today are:

I have done nothing but look at food and recipes online today :lol:

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Another great day and see you hit a new world record with the 8.5. Keep at it!

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
Thanks xyzzy,

Yes 8.5 is rocking my world lol but it has been one constant battle between me and my mind today, sick of thinking about food, sick of not eating food, I just want to go and grab a sandwich like i would have previously if hungry (or bored, or fed up, or whatever) but its not an option. I WILL get my numbers down and give myself the best possible chance at controlling this through lifestyle.

Again, thanks very much for your comments, I have read a few of your posts while trawling the forum, you seem to have come (diabetically speaking) from a similiar place as me. You are providing me with quite the inspiration as to what is achievable, so thanks for that too :lol: :mrgreen:

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not a problem. Yes I started slightly better off than you (hBA1c 11.3%) but didn't do ND but rather jumped straight to a low carb 50g / day regime as that's what my son who is T1 advised me. I found the constant thoughts about food did pass but it took a few weeks. Likewise when you do get control you'll find the worry and stress of db will begin to fade into the background too if you're anything like me. Like yourself I went mental with the testing. I tested religiously 7 times a day for 4 months. The act of typing in the numbers into some kind of dairy (or in my case a spreadsheet) is an excellent way of keeping on the straight and narrow in my opinion. If you make a dairy and have a competitive instinct then those readings show how you are beating the damned disease into submission. You want to win so it makes cheating the regime psychologically difficult as the meter won't lie! Suddenly on May 26th it dawned on me I didn't need to test that much any more as I had the confidence and knowledge to know what was safe to eat and the good people on the forum had given such great dietary advice that I actually enjoy my low carb regime better than what I was eating by some considerable margin. So nowadays I restrict to testing just before and two hours after my main meal just to keep an eye on things and make sure the disease is still held totally in check and totally and utterly under my control.

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
Hi xyzzy,

Thats brilliant how you just turned it all around and continue to follow the path of righteousness lol I think the points about keeping the diary and being able to use it to better your regime over time in conjunction with the meter is bang on. At the moment i haven't kept a diary as such, i am just putting my readings into a phone app and charting the downward trend but obviously when i move onto the re-feeding part after the 8 weeks I will have to keep a detailed diary or what my readings ar and what food and how much was eaten. It will probably be quite hard as I am pretty chaotic at the best of times, but i can definitely appreciate the help and determination that would provide in keeping the plan on course. Of course, it would also, as you say, provide invaluable knowledge and reference for what foods exactly are safe.

I would be pretty stranded without this forum, being able to follow other people's paths and experiences is empowering in a way that floundering about without any real plan or idea as to how to progress just isn't, additionally, it helps to reduce the stress and fear associated with this diagnosis as I feel able to be pro-active in the management of this disease and that I can contribute towards my own outcomes and it doesn't have to be all doom and gloom. So far my sum nhs advice has literally been "take these tablets, test once or twice a week and eat a healthy diet"... er thanks.

I have just had my psych nurse round this morning and got told off for the 4 day fast and ND diet, I just can't lie when asked what am I doing etc. I will however continue on the ND, but thank god the 4 day fast is over. That was some harsh excrement lol It is amazing what a 4 day fast will do for your taste buds though. I have just had a biggest loser bar, I intentionally picked a flavour i know i dont like, but I just nibbled off a tiny corner to start with and WOW it was so so sweet and dead chocolatey and really really good lmao, I am sure by tomorrow they will be back to tasting of cardboard and being dry and manky lol

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
so yesterdays results are thus:

11.2 pre biggest loser bar
10.5 +1hr
10.0 +2hr
7.9 pre evening meal of 250g broccoli, beansprouts, red pepper stir steamed in 1-2 tablespoons of soy sauce, dehydrated garlic bits and water.
8.9 +2hr evening meal. What the bloody hell happened here? I can only presume the pitifiul amount of dehydrated garlic and soy sauce trashed my readings.

bit gutted with yesterdays readings despite the 7.9, I literally can't do any more than fast completely for four days as well as doing the ND diet.

I have been thinking of going on the metformin, I might leave it another week to see what happens but I dont think I have much of a choice if these readings stay around the ten-ish average

C

catherinecherub

What was in the big loser bar? Might have been something there that peaked later?

l0vaduck

dazzer1975 said:
so yesterdays results are thus:

11.2 pre biggest loser bar
10.5 +1hr
10.0 +2hr
7.9 pre evening meal of 250g broccoli, beansprouts, red pepper stir steamed in 1-2 tablespoons of soy sauce, dehydrated garlic bits and water.
8.9 +2hr evening meal. What the bloody hell happened here? I can only presume the pitifiul amount of dehydrated garlic and soy sauce trashed my readings.

bit gutted with yesterdays readings despite the 7.9, I literally can't do any more than fast completely for four days as well as doing the ND diet.

I have been thinking of going on the metformin, I might leave it another week to see what happens but I dont think I have much of a choice if these readings stay around the ten-ish average

I didn't realise soy sauce had carbs, I would have been blaming the red pepper. Mind you a change of +1 is probably what would happen to a non-diabetic. It's only because your pre-meal was above non-diabetic levels that the change put you over at 2 hours.

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
Hi,

the biggest loser bar has the following:

per 55g serving (1 bar)

cals 206

protein 16g

total carbs 19g
sugars 1.9g
polyols 6.1g

fat 7.5g
saturates 3.9g

fibre 6.2g

I switched to the bars as they were similiar calorific and have the multivits and minerals but have considerably less carbs than the shakes I am using

As for the soy sauce, it contains sugar (well I have two, a dark soy by heinz and a light one by amoy and both contained sugar), but I literally used a teaspoon full and watered it down and used this to then cook the veg in. It couldn't possibly have affected my readings to such a degree, the amount of sugar in that spoonful must have been utterly miniscule.

On the other hand, what else can it be, gotta be that i suppose?

All the veg mentioned is listed on the ND as being suitable, the garlic and soy sauce isn't listed, but were in such small quantities...

Needless to say i wont be using soy or garlic again during the diet, I will be sticking to chilli or pepper.

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
Todays readings are:

8.0 (recorded after taking my first ever metformin. So depressed with my numbers seemingly static or even rising I decided to use it)

been a **** couple of days, today particularly, physically and mentally. I think I have deduced I am coming down with a cold, so I hope that is the reason for my weird numbers lately, I have been sneezing for the last 2 or 3 days a great amount and after taking the metformin earlier had to go to bed because i just felt off and weird, awoke at 10pm with a bout of sneezing and stuffy nose and general prickly feeling in my airways, so am definitely coming down with something.

Diarrhoea returned...which is nice (not) but I don't know if I can attribute this to the metformin, or my return to eating after the 4 day fast... maybe it is a bit of both?

In the light of my discovery of a cold, I am not sure wether to keep on the metformin or to resume without it. I dont know, I will decide later.

Defren

Hi Dazzer and welcome to the forum. I am a huge fan of the ND and I see my diary has been posted for you. I have read all through your diary and I am really impressed. You are another person who has the strength to grab the bull by the horns and do what you can to get tight control - well done!

I only have one concern; while you are doing the diet you are also fasting. Your calorie intake while doing the ND is low anyway, and by doing a four day fast are cutting your calories down for the week to very low levels. The reason I am concerned is you will be missing out on many vitamins, minerals and vital nutrients your body needs. If I could make a suggestion? Complete the ND - that is a challenge in itself, then perhaps try the 5/2 fast? I plan to start the 5/2 fast this week with my fasting days being Tuesdays and Thursdays. If you want to see the program where the 5/2 idea comes from I will try to find it for you.

Apart from anything else, I wish you the very best of luck, your dogged determination is so inspiring to many of us, me included. I love to see people really grasping the nettle and achieving great things, and you are doing just that. Keep up the amazing work, and the updates.

Jo

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
Hi Defren,

it is really humbling to receive all the words of encouragement and support and even praise. I think though I am helped by a few things that perhaps others aren't which probably makes it a bit easier for me than others. I have been attempting and thinking and psyching myself to commence a diet pre diagnosis and generally sort my life out, and possibly the bigest help is that I watched my dad, my hero, suffer with many serious diabetic complications and an early grave so I have seen and experienced exactly what diabetic complications mean to your everyday life, so really, I have no choice. Those who can do this without any of that prior insight are the ones who have the true grit and determination, I am just operating out of fear lol

As to the fast, I have completed that now and resumed on the ND, (I watched the horizon programme, excellent programme and after seeing that you can't really not fast) I wont be doing another fast again just yet, at least for the duration of this diet, but may incorporate some kind of fasting regime into my everyday life in the future, it won't be the alternate day thing, but could very well be the 5:2 thing or even again the 4 day fast... that is for after the ND now though i've done my fasting bit for the time being... thank god lol

Vitamin wise I am taking an effervescent multivitamin, of course, it won't cover all the bases but its a bit of a top up.

I have had a chaotic couple of days with regards sleeping, which then impacts upon my shakes/bars and broccoli etc, for instance I took a metformin yesterday, felt weird, so went to be bed,, around 6pm ish woke at 10pm and was awake until 8am this morning. I ate nothing between 10am and 8 am, and then woke today at 6pm and took a reading which was 8.3. I took a later reading perhaps around 8pm pre my meal of broccoli and the reading was 9.3.

I think I am beginning to understand the importane of routine and regular meals (whatever those meals are, in this case shakes/bars etc) I am presuming my liver is dumping glucose as a result of the long periods between inputting energy, so obviously my next job is to sort my sleeping routine out and then that is conducive to regular intakes of energy through the day. It may even help me get out and doing the odd walk if I am up early enough before the rest of the world wakes up lol it is taking me a while to get my head around this but I will get there as I experience more and more I suppose my picture of how it all fits together will become clearer.

8 weeks though... I can't believe what I have let myself in for, i'm only in week 2 and all my waking moments are spent fantasising about bread lol

Again though, many thanks for the words, I have read through all of your thread and borofergies and another chap whose name I can't recall and the numbers speak for themselves. If I can just get mine within safe levels would be good, if i can get them anywhere near normal, well, that would be the icing on the cake....mmmmmmm icing lmao

Defren

I know the dreaming about food bit well :lol: I did the first four weeks only shakes, no solid food at all, and the first meal I had on week 5 was like a banquet :lol:

You really truly ought to be very, very proud of yourself. You will look back on these 8 weeks and you will feel a sense of real achievement, I did and still do. As a real foodie, never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I could do it, but I did. Now, food wise, I know I can do anything. It also helped me change the way I look at food. I did see it as a comfort, now I see it as fuel for my body - period. That has helped me to cut snacking and also to eat only the healthiest of foods and in portions my pancreas along with Metformin, Gymnema and Cinnamon can deal with (the Gymnema and cinnamon I take as supplements).

If I can help in any way, just shout. Now I am back I am around just about every day, and will help you if I can. Like I said, I am a huge fan of the ND and anyone who is daft enough to try it. :lol:

Jet lag is hitting, I need my bed. :D

Jo

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
Hi Defren,

many thanks again for your kind words and offer of support, it is always valuable having the experiences of others who have gone through the same thing. At the start of last week I was ultra determined, this week I am equally determined but I just can't get food out of my mind lol Hopefully that will lessen as it did with you the longer I continue on this.

Regarding this, well my readings are really ******, I don't know if the cold is still affecting them, although I have felt fine this last 12/24 hours so not even sure if I still have it or even if my bg readings will be affected for a day or two after clearing up any infection encountered? Anyway, as a result of how depressed they are making me feel given everything I am doing, I am not going to take any readings for a week and just carry on as I am doing on the ND (can't do any more than that regardless of what the readings are anyway. So, next Monday I will resume testing and if the numbers are still the same I will return to metformin and continue on it for however long necessary.

As it is, here are the readings recording recorded from yesterday Morning until now:

9.7 at 07:45 yesterday
8.3 at 18:30
9.5 at 20:15
10.2 at 22:45
9.8 at 04:31
11.7 at 06:32

I just don't understand it, other than my chaotic sleep pattern and haphazard meal times are taking their toll, in addition to the cold/whatever. I will work on establishing a set meal and sleeping pattern this week and hopefully that will go some way toward helping the numbers decline, but I won't find out until Monday.

I also have liver problems, being diagnosed with a possible fatty liver 2 years ago, and recently having some liver function tests I have yet to hear the results of (just hoping whatever it is, it is still in the reversible stage) but I have no idea if this would prevent me ever achieving good control through diet? Would appreciate some insight if anyone has an idea to that answer?

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
just weighed myself, lost 10 pound this week, meaning ive lost 70pound or 5 stone since end april/beginning of may

Silver lining to my cloud lol

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's a fantastic weight loss dazzer. More a shaft of sunlight rather than a silver lining in my book, don't forget that all that weight was in effect pushing up your BG levels. :thumbup: