Newcastle Diet Low Calorie

diabeticnewby

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi can any let me know if they had gone on a low calorie diet (Newcastle Diet). I’m under the hospital and with the support of the diabetic diatician, I’m going to be doing this starting on September 1st.

How did you feel?
How much weight did you loss?
Side affects had?

I’ve got to have 3 slimfast shakes and 80g of veg.

I’m nervous but keen to give it a go. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi can any let me know if they had gone on a low calorie diet (Newcastle Diet). I’m under the hospital and with the support of the diabetic diatician, I’m going to be doing this starting on September 1st.

How did you feel?
Side affects had?

Hi there - Several members here have done the Newcastle Diet. There are several threads about it. I'll tag my colleague @Pipp. She has followed the diet.

Good luck with it all.

Reactions: diabeticnewby

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
"Several"? ho ho ho. More than several, methinks :). Several hundred? Several thousand? Ditto threads. Anyone counting?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hiya.
Will post tomorrow some time in the afternoon. Very tired at the moment.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Would add that I think @Fleegle could also give a good recent account,

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

How did you feel?
Side affects had?

Hello @diabeticnewby .
I did follow the Newcastle Diet, with medical supervision, way back in 2011. I had read and researched in advance, as had my GP, who was very supportive. I felt very positive, as it was my own decision, not something I had been pushed into.
After the second day I felt no hunger, had plenty of energy, was able to exercise ( mainly swimming and aquafit) for 6 or 7 one hour sessions a week.
I followed the restricted calorie phase for 12 weeks, then had a month break, when I ate mainly vegetables with some fish, chicken, or eggs. Then did a follow on of 9 weeks with the meal replacements. In total I lost 49 kg. More importantly, my blood glucose levels fell to non-diabetes range within days of starting.

I found for around 2 years I was able to eat anything, including high carb foods, but regained around 20kg of the weight lost. Though blood glucose remained fine. Until very recently that is, but that is another story.

I didn't have any side effects. Although I hadn't been advised to take some oil with the vegetables to prevent the growth of gallstones. I already had gallstones that were giving no bother at all as they were more the size of grains of sand. They did grow bigger and I needed gallbladder surgery after. So I hope you have been advised to have some oil with the veg?

It is also important that you do have support of those around you. Doesn't help having if people don't respect what you are doing, or trying to coax you to have a day off or criticising. Also, social occasions can be a problem. I once attended a weekend celebration in a fine hotel with 6 friends and sat through several meals, sipping mineral water, as they tucked into feasts.

I would also emphasise that if you are on medication then that needs to be reviewed regularly. I was seen by a pharmacist weekly when I was tested for ketones in urine, and had blood pressure, blood glucose and weight checked. I was also seem by the GP nurse every 2 weeks. You say you have the support of the diabetic dietician, @diabeticnewby , but not what that support entails. Do you mean the diabetic dietician is recommending the Slimfast and vegetables, and will you be seen him / her regularly?

What many people fail to realise is that the ND is not just a period of very low carb nutrition. The follow on is just as important. The literature recommends eating less than you had prior to the calorie restriction phase. For the rest of your life.

I would recommend you read about it and prepare yourself mentally and physically before you start. It is not for everyone, but my reasoning behind it was that as an alternative to bariatric surgery, and with the possibility of solving the high blood glucose levels I had had for 6 years, it was worth a try.

This is the link to the work of Prof Roy Taylor et al.
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

Hope this has been of some help.
Good luck, and keep us informed how you get on.

Reactions: Petaluk and zand

Tannith

BANNED
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press/articles/archive/2017/09/type2diabetesisreversible/
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/36/4/1047

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/03/160322080542.htm:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/12/151201141231.htm
Here are some links to Newcastle that might help you.

I did ND for about 4 months including a short break and finished about the start of this year. Since then I have tried to eat about 2/3 of what I previously ate. (real food). I have lost about 2 lbs more. ON the diet , which I found hard, I lost about 11.5 % of my weight. I used real food and a lenient version of the diet of about 900 to 1000 cals. Some days the hunger just seemed to vanish. Others I was hungry, sometimes I was ravenous. I consider it was well worth it. I can now eat carbs if I want to without raising my BGs, thoough I am cautious about them because they are fairly high in calories. To me a short though hard diet is well well worth the struggle in order to put the T2 into remission. I have not found it hard at all to eat less since the diet finished, possibly because this is still more than I was eating before I started it. Good luck.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press/articles/archive/2017/09/type2diabetesisreversible/
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/36/4/1047

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/03/160322080542.htm:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/12/151201141231.htm
Here are some links to Newcastle that might help you.

I did ND for about 4 months including a short break and finished about the start of this year. Since then I have tried to eat about 2/3 of what I previously ate. (real food). I have lost about 2 lbs more. ON the diet , which I found hard, I lost about 11.5 % of my weight. I used real food and a lenient version of the diet of about 900 to 1000 cals. Some days the hunger just seemed to vanish. Others I was hungry, sometimes I was ravenous. I consider it was well worth it. I can now eat carbs if I want to without raising my BGs, thoough I am cautious about them because they are fairly high in calories. To me a short though hard diet is well well worth the struggle in order to put the T2 into remission. I have not found it hard at all to eat less since the diet finished, possibly because this is still more than I was eating before I started it. Good luck.

Tannith - I'm probably misinterpreting something, but in yourr above post you state

".... Since then I have tried to eat about 2/3 of what I previously ate. (real food).... ", then "....I have not found it hard at all to eat less since the diet finished, possibly because this is still more than I was eating before I started it...."

I'm confused as to whether you are eating more or less than before you started - 2/3 of what you previously ate, or more than you were eating before you started it?

diabeticnewby

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all and I apologise for late reply, and hope I’m doing this forum reply correctly so you all see it. I’ve not been well these last 2 weeks and been signed off work , but today was the day and I’ve started the plan. I’ve had the 3 meal replacements (slimfast) it has keeped me going. I then had my 80g of non starchy veg, made up into a soup. It was minimal and I was like . I’ve read the leaflet (NHS one from hospital Diabetic unit/ diatician) and I can’t not think Surley I need more?
As well as the meal replacements it advised I can have milk at 250ml quantity of 1.I can’t drink milk on its own otherwise I will be I know this seems silly as slimfast is milk with sugary powder!.so not sure if getting the amount of calories needed? As not having the extra glass of milk with my 3 shakes a day. I might add some more veg but don’t want to mess up if I don’t stick to it. I am starving Marvin at the minute, the evening seems the challenge as the day has been ok. My bedtime sugar was 9.2 from my normal high 16 to 18. Thank again all :)

Reactions: Pipp

diabeticnewby

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all me again sorry to be a pain. So day 4 and my sugars have dropped to 7 in the day which is good for me, they have got lower in the morning to a 11, but still seem to rise from when I go to bed to waking, I have been advised prior to starting to stop Novarapid and just take my Levemir 8 units in morning and 20 units at night. What I cant understand is why I am only allowed 80g of veg to make my soup? I have gone onto the Newcastle University website and seen that when they did the study people were allowed 250g non starch veg. I have asked my diabetic dietician if it is 80g and she said yes. I am right for think that the information provided in the NHS is different? and the NHS version is different? The front of the leaflet I have been given says A very low calorie diet for weight loss. I am due to go to the hospital on Monday. I am a big lad and was 139kg when started and now 136.5kg so weight is coming off. Really appreciate your help guys thanks you :)

Having Slimfast 3 times a day 250ml with skimmed milk
80g of veg and 200ml water. (Increased 200ml water to 300ml as hardly anything to consist of a soup)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, @diabeticnewby

Hey, no need to apologise for asking questions. You are not a pain, just someone finding advice you have been given confusing. However, you are seeing some success with weight loss, and some lowering of blood glucose levels. So pat yourself on the back for a good start.
Your higher blood glucose levels in the morning are probably due to the following:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/dawn-phenomenon.html

As for the adice you have been given, is there any way you can copy the leaflet from the dietitian , so we can know what you are being advised?