Newcastle diet Magic 800 cals

MRSDUMPLIN

Hi, I've been following the Newcastle diet for 3 weeks, really happy with progress so far. But been wondering...

Is is the Magic 800 cals that potentially reverses type 2 or the fact that you lose weight?

Sometimes I've pipped over the 800 with a ni carb snack, boiled egg or ham but still lost weight?

Many thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Starvation/crash diets will often lead to short term weight loss.. the key is maintaining that loss when eating "normally".

Do you have a plan for when you stop the 800 or so calories (there's nothing very magic about it).

Reactions: Sad21+ and Dudette1

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Icy, cold winds where I live, when I want to be outside ;)
I hadn't heard of this diet @MRSDUMPLIN so I can't answer your question. I have a couple of questions though, as I took a look at an article on this site regarding the Magic 800. Do you weigh on a scale, and have you also lost inches? Do you feel strong, good energy levels while on this diet? I am pretty new here, just diagnosed Jan. this year with T2, so I am learning new things every day.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I've been following the Newcastle diet for 3 weeks, really happy with progress so far. But been wondering...

Is is the Magic 800 cals that potentially reverses type 2 or the fact that you lose weight?

Sometimes I've pipped over the 800 with a ni carb snack, boiled egg or ham but still lost weight?

Many thanks

the theory is that the weight loss (rapid or not) will cause fat loss. Type 2 diabetics often (but not always) have fat in their pancreas and the liver. They often have fat under the skin too, but that is less relevant to the ND theories.

So overall weight loss results in subcutaneous fat loss as well as visceral fat loss (around and in the organs).
It is the visceral fat loss that Professor Taylor suggests is allowing the liver and pancreas to become more functional again.

Taylor looked at the amount of weight lost by the people in his study and noted that, on average, they had lost 15kg (2 st 5lbs) to see the benefits of the diet. Individual reactions varied considerably as to how they reacted to the diet, and the duration of the benefits.

may I suggest that you go to Newcastle University’s website and read the actual study information?
There is a tremendous amount of information and word of mouth all over the internet about the ND. By reading the actual info you will be in a position to understand both the pros and cons, and have realistic expectations of the whole process, and what to do afterwards to maintain the benefits.

MRSDUMPLIN

Starvation/crash diets will often lead to short term weight loss.. the key is maintaining that loss when eating "normally".

Do you have a plan for when you stop the 800 or so calories (there's nothing very magic about it).
I do, a more normalised low carb diet

MRSDUMPLIN

I hadn't heard of this diet @MRSDUMPLIN so I can't answer your question. I have a couple of questions though, as I took a look at an article on this site regarding the Magic 800. Do you weigh on a scale, and have you also lost inches? Do you feel strong, good energy levels while on this diet? I am pretty new here, just diagnosed Jan. this year with T2, so I am learning new things every day.
Hi,
Lost 6lb in the first week, 2lb second 3lb this week,. Haven't measured yet..

I'm doing soups & shakes supplemented with some low carb veg.
Feel absolutely fine,

Reactions: G0ldengirl68

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi,

Feel absolutely fine,
Ok, my first 10 lbs were lost in 1 month, and I did lose just one inch around my waist. It's important to me to lose fat (burn fat) and as one person mentioned, burn fat around vital organs like liver. Now I'm lost 12 pounds in 2 months, and 2 inches (not exact on the days, but around 2 months). For me it's important not to lose lean, muscle, mass, something I learned a few years back. You didn't mention how your energy and strength are? I ask because I can tell when I am not fueling my body with enough nutrition. I get lethargy, just a real lack of energy. I do look at food as fuel, and even if I was in a coma on life support, they'd give me at least 1100 or 1200 calories in an IV. I may be off on those numbers but someone here can correct me if I'm wrong. Always open to learning.

Apologies, you did mention how you were feeling, I missed that.

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My understanding is that the rapidity of the weight loss allows fat in the liver and pancreas to be targeted preferentially, and this helps restore metabolic function (ie insulin sensitivity). I haven't looked at the studies in a while, but I remember the data supporting this non-uniform weight loss. Liver fat loss was higher than "visceral" as a percentage, and visceral was higher than total-body. Slow, uniform weight loss is less likely to make rapid improvements in the liver. Again, this is from memory and my memory on it is somewhat stale.

Reactions: MRSDUMPLIN

MRSDUMPLIN

My understanding is that the rapidity of the weight loss allows fat in the liver and pancreas to be targeted preferentially, and this helps restore metabolic function (ie insulin sensitivity). I haven't looked at the studies in a while, but I remember the data supporting this non-uniform weight loss. Liver fat loss was higher than "visceral" as a percentage, and visceral was higher than total-body. Slow, uniform weight loss is less likely to make rapid improvements in the liver. Again, this is from memory and my memory on it is somewhat stale.
Thanks Roggg,
I'll stick to it a bit more rigidly now.
Thanks for the explanation, I can understand that.

MRSDUMPLIN

Ok, my first 10 lbs were lost in 1 month, and I did lose just one inch around my waist. It's important to me to lose fat (burn fat) and as one person mentioned, burn fat around vital organs like liver. Now I'm lost 12 pounds in 2 months, and 2 inches (not exact on the days, but around 2 months). For me it's important not to lose lean, muscle, mass, something I learned a few years back. You didn't mention how your energy and strength are? I ask because I can tell when I am not fueling my body with enough nutrition. I get lethargy, just a real lack of energy. I do look at food as fuel, and even if I was in a coma on life support, they'd give me at least 1100 or 1200 calories in an IV. I may be off on those numbers but someone here can correct me if I'm wrong. Always open to learning.

Apologies, you did mention how you were feeling, I missed that.
I'm feeling fine, thank you. Not hungry at all, U have a set if those scales that measure body fat and that's going down.
Energy is much the same as usual, so hoping when a few more llbs off I'll feel a bit more energetic, but I have a hectic life.
That's a great loss.

Reactions: G0ldengirl68

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm glad you are doing good. I need to stick to people's questions, not start questioning them on things that I worry about. Worry is a waste of time right ;) I just saw that 800, but I didn't know all your circumstances. I hope you will stick around, and I will too. There are lots of folks here that have been at this a long time, and have succeeded.

I wish I'd get past that hunger thing but thinking, and reading, that I need more fiber in my meals to keep me full longer ;)
See you later and don't forget to get your rest ;) Denise

Reactions: MRSDUMPLIN

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Congratulations on your results so far. It was a great intervention for me returning my sugar levels to normal and stopping medication after eight weeks. I would stick to the 800 cal (give or take 20-30 cal). Are you testing your levels each morning?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Feel absolutely fine,
Hi @MRSDUMPLIN , I hope you are including a small amount of oil, about a teaspoon a day, with the veg. It is recommended as it can prevent gallstones, forming, or increasing if already there.

Your plan to follow a low carb diet after the Very Low Calorie Diet phase is a good one. Especially if you are not following the very low calorie diet for longer than the recommended 8 to 12 weeks. You won’t starve if using good quality, nutritionally sound meal replacement products. If they are also low carb your weight loss could be due to your body being in a state of ketosis, which means it is burning fat.

Lipidz

Out of curiosity which shakes are these? I'm looking to try the Newcastle study diet but I'm not sure where to look for the best priced shakes which offer the correct nutritional values.

Would appreciate any suggestions, thanks!

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
In Australia Optifast Shakes are the most used however I seem to recall they are only available by prescription in the UK. If my memory serves me some UK Newcastle Diet members on here were using SlimFast shakes. I'm sure there are other options that the locals can suggest

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Out of curiosity which shakes are these? I'm looking to try the Newcastle study diet but I'm not sure where to look for the best priced shakes which offer the correct nutritional values.

During my original Very Low Calorie Diet,10 years ago, My GP contacted the Newcastle University team, as Optifast was not available to purchase. The recommendation from the Newcastle guys then was that any brand of shakes would be ok. We chose to use Lipotrim. This is a Total Food Replacement diet. I lost a lot of weight and within days was seeing a return to non-diabetes blood glucose levels.
Later, around 5 years ago, following a period of immobility, and hospital food, weight gain, I used meal replacement shakes from Shake That Weight. Chosen because I had checked the carbohydrate content, and these provided 50g of carbs a day. I wanted to remain on low carb diet.
Not making any particular recommendations. Other members have used supermarket own brands. What I would recommend is that anyone embarking on this method seeks advice from GP, especially if on medication. Also, although I believe the NHS approves of Very Low Calorie Diets in some circumstances, many GPs are not up to date with the methodology, so I would read and print the info from the Newcastle University study to share and discuss with GP or nurse.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

For what it's worth, in the Newcastle study, they used what they used, but there was no claim that the specific formulation has anything to do with the results. Their entire hypothesis was around calories. So I wouldn't get too hung up on following too closely. Shakes are convenient, because they give very consistent controls on calories. There's no reason why you couldn't do it entirely on real foods though.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For what it's worth, in the Newcastle study, they used what they used, but there was no claim that the specific formulation has anything to do with the results. Their entire hypothesis was around calories. So I wouldn't get too hung up on following too closely. Shakes are convenient, because they give very consistent controls on calories. There's no reason why you couldn't do it entirely on real foods though.
An advantage of using meal replacement products is that they reportedly contain required nutrients, and do away with the need to calculate oneself.
I believe in the Newcastle study meal replacements were used to remove the confounding variable of different foods being used by the participants.
I confess, I chose the meal replacement route because I was busy and stressed with caring responsibilities at the time, and it removed the need to plan ahead when I was often having to change plans at short notice, due to emergencies with the people I was caring for.

Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
A daft question but for those who have tried this.

Do you think it is a sustainable, method of weight loss, I have tried meal replacements in the past and found with in a week. I was back eating my old ways.

I have found low carb, high protein, seems to work the best for me.

I have seen it has good feedback, but i was wondering about long term, will you keep it up in a year?