Newcastle diet starting Monday, done it once who gonna join me on my journey??

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did as you suggested @brettsza and the results were as you might have suspected: Bedtime 5.8, waking 4.6 but 1 hour later before morning shake 5.9. Liver dump!
So here you go, now you know when to test, atleast my fasting figures are as soon as I wake up, that is what everyone suggested me on the forum and doing that, LD will happen if your BG goes too low, I think we dont realise this but to be honest till date I have not seen a lot of figures in 3's so I think I stay between 4.1 and 5.2 most of the day, I have tested before having shake, after 1 hour, after 2 hours and just randomly so I feel that is my comfortable zone.

Reactions: 2 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
politics, religion, intolerance
Day 55 - no more weight loss. Fasting blood 4.8 :p

Have family visiting from Australia (Aunt and Uncle) - have not seen them in over a year. First thing they said was not 'hello' or 'nice to see you' - but 'my God - what has happened to you? You have lost weight? Are you ok?' Love that reaction :playful::playful::playful:

Reactions: 8 people

Bewildered

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So here you go, now you know when to test, atleast my fasting figures are as soon as I wake up, that is what everyone suggested me on the forum and doing that, LD will happen if your BG goes too low, I think we dont realise this but to be honest till date I have not seen a lot of figures in 3's so I think I stay between 4.1 and 5.2 most of the day, I have tested before having shake, after 1 hour, after 2 hours and just randomly so I feel that is my comfortable zone.

Morning, I was thinking about this when I woke up and while I couldn't be bothered to get out of bed to test. I have a question… If my fasting blood test at the GP's is 12 hours without eating, then should it be the same when I am at home? I wonder this because the two results would possibly differ due to LD, for example I have the first appointment at 08:30 but I usually get up around 06:00, breakfast around 07:00-07:30 ish and then off to work. If the medics are using the 12 hour fast result will I be lulling myself into a false sense of security if I factor out the LD? Asking because I am confused about this. My fbg is 7.2 this morning, but I 'rested' in bed for at least 30 mins after I was fully awake, and I did wake around 2 hrs earlier, briefly. My bg before bed was 5.9. I have been off work this week, and so my usual routine is altered. I guess I will normally have fasted for 10 hours before waking.

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Final day - and today is the day my scales decide to no longer work. I think I wore the battery out. So, nothing to report on weight - but fasting blood went up to 6.8 - which I cant understand. I think I'll check it again latter.

Well - I made it guys :) 56 days is doable......

I'm going to follow this thread and I look forward to seeing you all at the finishing line.....

Reactions: 7 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Morning, I was thinking about this when I woke up and while I couldn't be bothered to get out of bed to test. I have a question… If my fasting blood test at the GP's is 12 hours without eating, then should it be the same when I am at home? I wonder this because the two results would possibly differ due to LD, for example I have the first appointment at 08:30 but I usually get up around 06:00, breakfast around 07:00-07:30 ish and then off to work. If the medics are using the 12 hour fast result will I be lulling myself into a false sense of security if I factor out the LD? Asking because I am confused about this. My fbg is 7.2 this morning, but I 'rested' in bed for at least 30 mins after I was fully awake, and I did wake around 2 hrs earlier, briefly. My bg before bed was 5.9. I have been off work this week, and so my usual routine is altered. I guess I will normally have fasted for 10 hours before waking.
HI B

I think the timing of the FBT is important. One morning I took my blood before and again after a shower and the two readings were different. I then had to consider if I had washed anything off my hands that may have effected the reading or is movement just in the space of 15 minutes had made a difference, or was it the warming of the blood from the heat of the water. Whatever it was, the readings were different....and in my view should not have been. It dented my confidence in the accuracy of the readings.

Wildrover

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Steve50
Bet it feels great to be at the end, ...nice one. and congrats as it's not easy, methinks that your problems are just starting as you must decide just what foods to start with, because I find that I am very conscious and aware of just what my BG's are, bet you are to, but Hey, your there now ,.... Enjoy

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks WR

Oddly, I'm not racing to the kitchen right now. I'm thinking I might have some eggs and bacon latter but I really don't want to start any weight gain - so I think I'll walk into town first and get a new battery for my scales....is this madness I wonder - or obsession? :wacky:

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Oddly - just took my blood again after my shower and it had gone up to 7???????

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done at reaching your milestone - fantastic achievement.

Oddly - just took my blood again after my shower and it had gone up to 7???????
Oooh! Sweet shower foam? o_O

Sounds like it might be "Liver Dump". I followed @brettsza's suggestion of testing on waking rather than an hour or so later when I sat down to my breakfast shake. I have recorded differences up to 4.6 rising to 5.9 without eating anything in that space of time.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks WR

s and bacon latter but I really don't want to start any weight gain - so I think I'll walk into town first and get a new battery for my scales....is this madness I wonder - or obsession? :wacky:

Hi Steve
Congrats on getting to the end mate.
Don't rush to kitchen just yet today is stilll all day to go.
I suggest you drop 1 shake every day or two days, whatever you feel you are comfortable with. I could not eat more than may b a few nuts, a bowl of soup or some salad, I did stay on these things for first week as I did not want to overload my sytem with processing food, but I did get tensed why am I not able to eat when I can eat now or when I want to eat now, it stressed me into thinking have I done something wrong by not giving my body anything to eat for so many days. But in a week it will get better. Since you are not counting calories you can eat more but I would suggest have something light, like after 4 or 5 days I wanted to have more than salad or soup so I added some nuts to salads and cheese to soups.
About weight, I am same as you, I did not want to gain any back and luckily with IF I am still maintaining it, so you are not obsessed but may be you will start thinking that I worked so hard why should I gain any back but some will happen, don't let too much weight get back though as it's not healthy again. If you have any questions please feel free to ask, I will try if I can help.

Reactions: 4 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest I never do a 12 hour fast or let's keep it like this I sleep late and get up early everyday and I reach home at 8ish so dinner by 9 normally not before that. Fasting tests I always go at 630 and at hospital at 7 I leave after giving blood so it's not 12 hours but that's how ido it due to othercommitments but I have seen this difference, I think one your are awake for sometime body needs energy and hence the dump, if I stay in bed for a very long time I see my levels higher than when I do it as soon as I wake up. I did 5 hours of gardening yesterday and only had some nuts in morning and when I tested I was 5.1 as when you are doing workout or gardening your body needs more glucose and liver dumps it. But if you test after an hour or two your bg will be lower. Just what I have observed but I have only been t2 for 10 months so I could be wrong.

Wildrover

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks WR

Oddly, I'm not racing to the kitchen right now. I'm thinking I might have some eggs and bacon latter but I really don't want to start any weight gain - so I think I'll walk into town first and get a new battery for my scales....is this madness I wonder - or obsession? :wacky:

Very funny

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Guys

Had a glass of wine yesterday. Don't recommend it. I have no tolerance for alcohol at all. The NP has robbed me of one of life's pleasures. :cool:

Hope you are all sticking with it......

Reactions: 6 people

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I stuck myself this morning and came in at 5.88millimols/litre. Whilst not the lowest reading I've had it seems to be trending the right way. I am now 60 ½lbs today off from worst levels. So weight wise and exercise wise I seem to be getting it done. The meet and greet with the neurologist will be interesting to say the least. I had a chicken salad for an early lunch (think an late breaking of the fast - Jason Fung style), & now tonight I'm having a small piece of stinky cheese and some wheat bread + a nice Honeycrisp apple. I did cycle 15 miles just prior to eating said stinky delicacy! Hope all is well with everyone on this thread!

Last edited by a moderator:

mohanankur

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just want to chime in here to note that it's now been several months since I finished the Newcastle Diet and I've been doing 16:8 IF pretty consistently (almost every day) since.

I'm happy to report that after the initial/immediate gain of approximately three pounds, I haven't gained any more weight (even though I also quit smoking after finishing ND - it's been seven weeks since a cigarette and three weeks since any nicotine gum!), and I think that IF is helping to maintain my weight.

I am eating a lot of carbs (250-350g a day, typically) but my fasting BG is still good (Occationally creeps over 100 mg/dL for a day) and my post-prandial tests are insanely good, even after very high GI meals. The ND weightloss, coupled with a renewed interest in exercise and decision to quit smoking, seems to be doing a good job of restoring my insulin sensitivity, to go along with my newfound hepatic insulin sensitivity and renewed beta cell function.

Long story short (too late?) IF might be a good plan going forward.

Glitterbritches: Thank You for your update here. I am on my way to smoke free life as well along with ND.

Reactions: 5 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Mohanankur

Very brave - fighting two addictions at once - but if you want to avoid weight gain while quitting - now if the time to do it. :blackeye:

All the very best - keep us updated.

Reactions: 3 people

Wildrover

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just thought I would mention that being on the ND, and 5 weeks in, as Steve50 says the NP, As a Warfrin user, my INR blood levels have been perfectly stable for 3 years, BUT I was shocked to find that after yesterday's INR test my reading was down to 1.2....... This has to be due to the ND diet, so must go up 5 mg' in Warfrin to compensate, So please be aware guys,

mohanankur

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mohanankur

Very brave - fighting two addictions at once - but if you want to avoid weight gain while quitting - now if the time to do it. :blackeye:

All the very best - keep us updated.
Thanks Steve. I sure will post my updates here. Weight gain is not too much of an key issue for me, as I am only 63 KG. As per ND Diet documents I need to lose atleast 15% of my weight to reverse my Diabetes. So, strangely I am worried a lot more about weight loss than weight gain. If I lose 15% I would most likely become underweight. Which probably is no good either but still will be better than upset days due to high Fasting readings.

Life takes a full circle I have been very thin all my life and one point in time intentionally started gaining weight. Which I did and went upto 74 KG. Now, I am back to 63KG when I got diagnosed. So, looks like I am heading back to where I was.

I got diagnosed during a full Body checkup, my report also confirmed that I had a Fatty Liver - Grade 1 (not sure where it came from), but that kind of reinstates my belief in Prof. Taylor's research, as it seems to be too true at least in my case. At-least with ND i will fix one of the 2 problems for sure :)

Already, ordered my shakes, Cigs down a lot (targeting to limit to max of 3 per day to begin with from one pack) , already down to 5-6 . And I am on my way to take on that organ fat head on.

I hope this works for me.

Reactions: 8 people

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Steve. I sure will post my updates here. Weight gain is not too much of an key issue for me, as I am only 63 KG. As per ND Diet documents I need to lose atleast 15% of my weight to reverse my Diabetes. So, strangely I am worried a lot more about weight loss than weight gain. If I lose 15% I would most likely become underweight. Which probably is no good either but still will be better than upset days due to high Fasting readings.

Life takes a full circle I have been very thin all my life and one point in time intentionally started gaining weight. Which I did and went upto 74 KG. Now, I am back to 63KG when I got diagnosed. So, looks like I am heading back to where I was.

I got diagnosed during a full Body checkup, my report also confirmed that I had a Fatty Liver - Grade 1 (not sure where it came from), but that kind of reinstates my belief in Prof. Taylor's research, as it seems to be too true at least in my case. At-least with ND i will fix one of the 2 problems for sure :)

Already, ordered my shakes, Cigs down a lot (targeting to limit to max of 3 per day to begin with from one pack) , already down to 5-6 . And I am on my way to take on that organ fat head on.

I hope this works for me.

@mohanankur

You can google Richard Doughty a journalist who chronicled his journey of T2D with the aid of Professor Taylor in the Guardian and Daily Mail. He had and has a very slight frame (BMI) and if you need some encouragement you can email him directly at his website. A very personable person, a gentleman if you will, who knows all too well the goings on of T2D.

Good luck to you..