Newcastle diet starting Monday, done it once who gonna join me on my journey??

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But the cake is for tomorrow and it is in the fridge. I am a masochist!

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Indy51 beat me to it - have you been checked out for b12 deficiency? Sometimes the symptoms are just like neuropathy.

But I also agree wth @AndBreathe you may not have gone below your personal fat threshold.

@AndBreathe & @Brunneria

Thank you both for your inputs. My condition has improved from worst levels. I may not yet have come below my personal fat threshold. I am scheduled to see my neurologist on Monday week. I've been quite good taking my B-12 vitamins. I'm investing a few dollars in my bicycle to enjoy riding it. The exercise clearly is very important to my overall well being. I am also moving to be closer to my gym. That will be 1/2 mile walk away within 3-4 weeks. So I'll keep up the good work and not give in..

FWIW, I was diagnosed with T2 a year ago with an A1C of 6.5 next readings were 6.2 then 6.1. I've not had a test in over 7 months and I've worked out pretty much every day since my last blood test. I am down 53 ½ lbs from my worst levels TG

JM

PS @AndBreathe one more thing. I tried out a pair of Levi's 550 jeans that are 34" on the waist. There was noticeably less "Muffin top" going on than the last time I tried them. They are a new pair of jeans that my wife has treated me to. I'll probably need to lose another 8-10 lbs and that should nail the fit on the jeans and nail the neuropathy and put my diabetes finally into remission! We can all pray and hope for a good outcome.. Happy Easter everyone.

Have a great Easter Monday too!

Last edited by a moderator:

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A confession. Last night, sorting through freezer, a stray cornetto, sort of fell into my hands. Left there months ago by the kids. It had freezer burn, and was heading for the bin, but somehow managed to unwrap itself and leap into my mouth and before I knew it, it was chewed up and swallowed.

Doh! Should never drop one's guard. Still I added up and averaged calories so far this week and it came to 836 a day. Could be better, but I won't beat myself up about it. Back to a day of just meal replacements, and being alert for family meal tomorrow.

Will leave scales and BG. Measurement a day or two longer.

@Pipp you have been forgiven! I know temptations are everywhere!

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Pipp you have been forgiven! I know temptations are everywhere!

Thank you.

How is everyone getting on?

Where are those who completed recently?

I have eaten real food today, but avoided the wrong stuff. Stayed under 900 cals. Difficult because of celebration meal with family. Did not eat cake.

Back to just meal replacements tomorrow for a few days. Then will have 2 days of the week with a low cal meal included.

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you.

How is everyone getting on?

Where are those who completed recently?

I have eaten real food today, but avoided the wrong stuff. Stayed under 900 cals. Difficult because of celebration meal with family. Did not eat cake.

Back to just meal replacements tomorrow for a few days. Then will have 2 days of the week with a low cal meal included.

@Pipp

I've been avoiding meals in the mornings these days as often as possible. (to scavenge the fats out of my liver & pancreas - Per Dr Jason Fung). This morning was a nice surprise too with my weight 14St. 3lbs or 199lbs. I still get the neuropathy but I am off to the gym in a moment with my daughter. I try and eat two decent meals a day + work out lots doing plenty of "E" as in Exercise. You can search for ABCDEF diet. I've modified what I've previously posted so everyone can find it.. It's Phil Jeremy Personal training 's diet. He gave it to me & I 've been lucky!

FWIW anyone can google Phil Jeremy Personal Training for help..

& Yes Pipp It's a constant battle for me to stay around 14 stones!

Last edited by a moderator:

Alpaca

I've recently been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes with blood glucose levels around 8 and told I should be able to control it with my diet. I'm very interested in the Newcastle Diet and have been following the forum posts with great interest. Just starting it seems such a huge step and I hate feeling hungry but the results seem to be amazing. Tomorrow will be my first day...

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've recently been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes with blood glucose levels around 8 and told I should be able to control it with my diet. I'm very interested in the Newcastle Diet and have been following the forum posts with great interest. Just starting it seems such a huge step and I hate feeling hungry but the results seem to be amazing. Tomorrow will be my first day...

Keep posting. Ask questions and let us know how you are getting on.

Good luck.

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

@Alpaca

There's lots of help here to be had. Professor Roy Taylor has helped us all enormously! Good luck to you..

JM

squarebanana

Alpaca don't worry about feeling hungry, that shows it's working, when the hunger pangs get too strong I quench them with a pint of sparkling mineral water with ice.

not posted for a couple of days, I seemed to stall a bit, but jumped on the MTB and completed 2 x 10 mile runs last night and the night before, and the weights coming off again, down to 18st 8lb this morning, Fasting BS Now down to 4.3 so really chuffed with that, stopped taking my metformin from Thursday with no ill effects, and I'm glad I'm off them, just the blood pressure one to attack now which is liniprosil at 10mg which I hope won't be needed, as the weight comes off some more and I get the MTB biking regime to around 20 miles a day.

One thing I have noticed I am having my shakes but only 1 or 2 a day with the rest of my calls being made up of veg either in soups or salads but I ain't been the loo for a number two for nearly a week, I can take laxatives to sort this but should I be worried.

AL
SB

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have same prob. Three to four days but I think we r eating nothing and burning out a lot of calories too. Is there anything left? :) let me also know what laxatives you take but at the moment I am on a 4 day rotation but I only have salad twice a day about 150 calories and rest from shakes and on and off egg just alternate days may be or even rare. Did have a small piece of chicken 100 calories the other day. Yesterday total calories ate 370 and burnt about 700

Alpaca

Thanks for encouraging comments @Pipp, @Living-by-the-beach, @squarebanana and tips, I'm feeling very positive this morning, sloshing in green tea. It's a beautiful day so off for a power walk, I think I'm probably going to feel hungry and grumpy later. I'm not very good at self denial but am feeling very focussed and up for this. Reading all your posts is very motivating, it's good to realise I'm not the only one.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Alpaca don't worry about feeling hungry, that shows it's working, when the hunger pangs get too strong I quench them with a pint of sparkling mineral water with ice.

not posted for a couple of days, I seemed to stall a bit, but jumped on the MTB and completed 2 x 10 mile runs last night and the night before, and the weights coming off again, down to 18st 8lb this morning, Fasting BS Now down to 4.3 so really chuffed with that, stopped taking my metformin from Thursday with no ill effects, and I'm glad I'm off them, just the blood pressure one to attack now which is liniprosil at 10mg which I hope won't be needed, as the weight comes off some more and I get the MTB biking regime to around 20 miles a day.

One thing I have noticed I am having my shakes but only 1 or 2 a day with the rest of my calls being made up of veg either in soups or salads but I ain't been the loo for a number two for nearly a week, I can take laxatives to sort this but should I be worried.

AL
SB
Increase veg, especially stuff like celery, green beans and veg with peel. Add some fibreclear powder to water. Available in supermarkets and pharmacies. Also drink plenty of water.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have same prob. Three to four days but I think we r eating nothing and burning out a lot of calories too. Is there anything left? :) let me also know what laxatives you take but at the moment I am on a 4 day rotation but I only have salad twice a day about 150 calories and rest from shakes and on and off egg just alternate days may be or even rare. Did have a small piece of chicken 100 calories the other day. Yesterday total calories ate 370 and burnt about 700

I worry about you, you know.

For a man, consuming 370 calories in a day, back to back with other very low calorie days, your body must be trying to shut down. I think you're, personally, pushing this VLCD envelope to breaking point. Surely, you should be trying to at least consume the calories the ND suggests. That's brutal enough.

Your HbA1c is already in the non-diabetic range, so striving for that is a non-goal. Striving to be able to eat more carbs is going to be a lottery anyway, in my view. You may already have enough tolerance to do that without this starvation, and if you don't, malnourishing yourself (which I can't help think must be happening on 370 calories, whilst active) isn't going to help with that, except for a tiny window of time as your body potentially recovers.

Please think long and hard about this one.

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I worry about you, you know.

For a man, consuming 370 calories in a day, back to back with other very low calorie days, your body must be trying to shut down. I think you're, personally, pushing this VLCD envelope to breaking point. Surely, you should be trying to at least consume the calories the ND suggests. That's brutal enough.

Your HbA1c is already in the non-diabetic range, so striving for that is a non-goal. Striving to be able to eat more carbs is going to be a lottery anyway, in my view. You may already have enough tolerance to do that without this starvation, and if you don't, malnourishing yourself (which I can't help think must be happening on 370 calories, whilst active) isn't going to help with that, except for a tiny window of time as your body potentially recovers.

Please think long and hard about this one.

I have to agree. If your BG is normal range, and not overweight then time to change eating regime.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Didn't eat cake yesterday, but had 2 glasses red wine.

Not a good idea.

vladikavkaz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've started today; my blood sugars have been creeping up recently and i've seen an increase in symptoms such as itching; lethargy and a need to wee more often. I have quite a lot of weight to lose and zero will power.

Today i've had two shakes and a small bowl of vegetable soup; i've drunk oodles of water, but my head is killing me. I'm thankful for the bank holiday so I can spend the day lying in bed. I'm assuming after a couple of days that the side effects lessen? If anyone has documented their progress I'd love to have a read.

Thanks

Glitterbritches

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @vladikavkaz

@Glitterbritches and @thelittlewhitehen recently completed and have posted blogs with details of progress.
And I apologize for having gone missing - since "finishing" the diet almost two weeks ago I have been very busy. Having lost about 50 pounds I started pushing my body to test my ability to metabolize carbs.

The diet might not work for everyone, but it worked for me! Carb - heavy meals are not spiking like anything resembling my pre-diet spikes. Now, 60 - 80g of high GI carbs hit 130 mg/dL tops, before dropping below 100 mg/dL at two hours. I've now transitioned from weight loss/restoring beta cell function to the next phase: combating insulin resistance. I have not smoked in 10 days, and my exercise levels are through the roof (training for a triathlon, even though I have never, ever been athletic previously). I will come back periodocally, mostly too see all of your awesome progress. Based on what I've read, wanted to leave a couple points.

1. DO NOT OVER EXERCISE. Biking 20 miles a day is daft on these few calories - the only reason to exercise is to reduce the amount of lean muscle mass lost, you sure as hell are not going to get into shape on starvation levels of calories.

2. When the urge to cheat hit me, I reminded myself of two words - "Dedication" and "Motivation." Dedicate yourself to restoring your pancreatic function, and remind yourself that diabetes is what is motivating you to lose all this weight - you CAN do this, and you WILLL. Second thoughts have no place here, nor does excessive tinkering. This is a hard diet, just keep it simple, add some light exercise, and drink water nonstop.

Know that you are screwing up your metabolism too. I'm netting 1600 calories per day and not losing any more weight, despite a lot of exercise. It'll take at least another two months to get my metabolism back, so know that the ND diet is just the first step towards correcting your metabolism and shedding all that visceral/organ fat. YOU CAN DO THIS. KEEP IT SIMPLE. STAY DEDICATED, STAY MOTIVATED.

I love all of you that are putting yourselves through this hell in order to bring some normalcy back to your bodies. I can say that even if I hadn't seen the BG results that I did, it still would have been worth all the pain to see my mom crying when she saw how much healthier I looked at Easter compared to the last time she saw me (Christmas).

Stay strong.

Reactions: 14 people