Newcastle diet starting Monday, done it once who gonna join me on my journey??

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have decided to stop the meal replacements. They have served me well, but my goal of maintaining non-diabetic levels has been well maintained.

The weight loss over the last few weeks has been good, 9kg. However it has stalled in last week probably due to steroids for allergies. For the foreseeable future I will be using low carb method, and keeping to around 1200 calories maximum per day. Will exercise in water as much as possible.

Good luck to everyone choosing ND. Make sure you get support of GP, and take notice if your body is giving you hints that it is not the right method or the right time for you.
hi Pip, 1200 cal will give you a greater variety in your diet and is around the recommended amount for continued weight loss 6 months after bariatric surgery. 1200- max1500 cal
going by a low carb keto, chart, you will be burning out 50% body fats

“Dr Eric C. Westman, MD and president elect of the American Society of Bariatric Physicians, has 15 years of experience helping patients lose weight and improve their health using low carb. He has also helped do several high-quality scientific studies on low carb.”
" Don't do low carb and low fat "

there is a fair bit on youtube about low carb diets
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KYYnEAYCGk
upload_2015-4-24_21-25-38.png

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I am thank you.
I often have allergic reactions, so it is not due to ND. Probably tree pollen this time. I just want to emphasise the importance of taking notice of your body. ND was designed to reverse diabetes. I have apparently been in reversed state for over 3 years, just still have a lot of weight to lose. So ND has helped, but right now my body is telling me to eat real food. Also, not much good trying to do extreme calorie reduction when steroids have me bulking up like a marshmallow man.
Thanks, but I am still very fat, so will celebrate with more veg and a full British breakfast at the weekend.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi Pip, 1200 cal will give you a greater variety in your diet and is around the recommended amount for continued weight loss 6 months after bariatric surgery. 1200- max1500 cal
going by a low carb keto, chart, you will be burning out 50% body fats

“Dr Eric C. Westman, MD and president elect of the American Society of Bariatric Physicians, has 15 years of experience helping patients lose weight and improve their health using low carb. He has also helped do several high-quality scientific studies on low carb.”
" Don't do low carb and low fat "
Thank you Jack. I won't do too low fat, more like moderate, as I have difficulty digesting much fat.

I have been learning from you LCHF folks. Much gratitude.

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
politics, religion, intolerance
Day 20. No more weight loss. Fasting blood 4.9.

Reactions: 6 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Steve. Bg is only coming down so that's really good. I also got into 4's in about 3rd week, saw my first 3 yesterday at 3.9

Reactions: 5 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Rettsza

That's a fantastic result for you. How much longer do you have on the ND? Do you think you have achieved reversal?

Alpaca

Diagnosed about 2 years ago and have pretty much stuck my head in the sand for the majority of that time. I'm now feeling extremely motivated (at last!!!) and inspired by those of you doing the Newcastle Diet. I know it will be tough, but, feel for me it would be the best start. What shakes do you all use???
I use Celebrity Slim but only because they were half price, Slim Fast otherwise. Also I only have them ocasionally and use real food mostly. Good luck.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Rettsza

That's a fantastic result for you. How much longer do you have on the ND? Do you think you have achieved reversal?

Hi Steve

I don't know about reversal but I have not seen 5's for some time even after an hour of shake. I did test one day and I went from 4.2 to 4.8 and back to 4.2 in hour.

My nd finishes on 12 but if I can I will continue for few more days but I might give up looks like :) but I will have some shakes and miss food as I am sure we can't just start eating.

Reactions: 4 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Day 21. End of week 3. Weight down 0.1kg - but fasting blood - 7.7!!! How could that be?

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Day 22. A pleasing weight loss of 0.4kg. BMI now 24.7. Fasting blood settled a little - 6.1.

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks - maybe if I ate like a grasshopper it would fall a little

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Please don't :) The weight fall will accompany a drop in BS together with a good diet Hand in glove .... never known it not to as it sure worked for me and many others.

Reactions: 5 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks - maybe if I ate like a grasshopper it would fall a little
That would mean eating at least your own weight in plants and animal poo each day. Not recommended!:***:

You are doing well, so plod on!

Reactions: 4 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Day 23. Weight down again - a new low :D. New BMI of 24.6 - total weight loss 6.5kg. Fasting blood 6.2. :meh:. Staying patient - trusting that those who have been here before, know from experience that it will drop.

Reactions: 8 people

trotskyite

I did the newcastle diet and when I was finished (at bmi 25) i still had fasting of 6 or so. I thought I would probably be stuck there but then I spent a year upping my activity and I def lost fat without weight loss. Then I started to feel much better in myself I checked my fasting and was 5 that was a good while ago and it has never gone up, hba1c is always around 36 since then,on no meds. So I needed a 25kg drop to have a full reversal. I can now get away with 400g of carbs a day but before I couldn't have more than 100 without skyrocketing blood sugar.

Reactions: 8 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Day 24. Weight is dropping. Now lost 7.2kg :) which gives me a BMI of 24.4. :D. Fasting blood was down also to 5.6. :cool: I tested it last thing before I went to sleep to see if the dp would come into play and I was 9.2 - that was 2 hours after I had eaten salad veg. :confused: So it dropped overnight. I can only assume that by now my body is running like a Prius - some of the energy I burn coming from fuel (c800 cals) and the rest from stored fat. I also presume the stored energy is mostly contributing to my blood sugar count. o_O So I must be burning stored energy from a past and quite indulgent lifestyle. Must be all that red wine and cognac I used to drink - which I am now getting double value from if I am now burning the stored energy from it.:rolleyes:

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I did the newcastle diet and when I was finished (at bmi 25) i still had fasting of 6 or so. I thought I would probably be stuck there but then I spent a year upping my activity and I def lost fat without weight loss. Then I started to feel much better in myself I checked my fasting and was 5 that was a good while ago and it has never gone up, hba1c is always around 36 since then,on no meds. So I needed a 25kg drop to have a full reversal. I can now get away with 400g of carbs a day but before I couldn't have more than 100 without skyrocketing blood sugar.
So what percentage of your weight was 25kg? I'm asking because Prof T suggests a 25% weight reduction for reversal.