1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Newcastle Diet

Discussion in 'Low Calorie Diets' started by AlexMagd, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

How are you getting on with the Exante shakes?

A friend gave me a dozen shakes around... um... 4 years ago. I really enjoyed the choc mint, and the butterscotch. But then had real problems with the soups! :yuck:

2. AlexMagd

AlexMagd Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I like most of them so far. I really can't stand the Strawberry ones (so artificial tasting) and am yet to go for the Lemon Cheesecake or Chocolate Orange. They sent me a bunch of Irish Cream ones for free and I have to say I'm not a fan of those either!

The biggest problem so far is boredom, and especially that my mealtimes are now reduced to a five minute session instead of something social and longer-lasting.

What was off about the soups? I was thinking about introducing some soups into the diet later on in place of some shakes, if only because hot liquid is a bit of a change from cold liquid!

3. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Well you've got a lot of support wishing you all the best and following your thread.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

From what I remember the soups tasted really fake. Soya tasting. I was only drinking these things because my friend would have thrown them out, and because I was nosey :) and didn’t realise how bad I would feel with the glucose fluctuations they caused. :( They may have changed the recipes since I ate them though!

I did like those flavours i mentioned though... :D

Are you finding the shakes thin? I have seen people post about adding a teasp of psyllium husks to the shakes to make them thicker so they seem more satisfying.

#24 Brunneria, Mar 15, 2018 at 10:34 PM
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  5. AlexMagd

Actually not so bad at all - I make them with 200ml water so they stay quite thick and shake-like. Still a bit grainy, but still quite drinkable.

I feel OK on the glucose fluctuations - I guess highs of 9 aren't so bad in the grand scheme of things - and I'm coming down a lot faster from spikes than I usually do, which is perhaps a good thing.

• Like Like x 2
  6. AlexMagd

Thanks! I'll upload my BG results from my Libre every so often, as I think it'll be interesting for people to see. Sadly, with the distribution issues at the moment I don't think I'll be getting my next sensor for another couple of weeks so there'll be data gaps

7. Fleegle

Fleegle Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don't know what the makeup of the shakes is - but if they have milk in them, then reduce milk and replace with water. The ones I used tasted even better and you can then use the milk in your coffee without fear I think.

8. Fleegle

Fleegle Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Really good luck on your journey @AlexMagd
    Micro manage the whole thing - weeks, days, meals to go. I lined all my shakes into piles and watched them disappear.

I didnt have peeks as high as 9 I don't think but got into the 8's. I also played around with when to have them. Like you my night time readings (and I checked mornings with finger pricks) went into the mid-high 3's. then between shakes in about week 2 I started to drop into low 4's during the day. It did get on my nerves that I would be 4.2 - have the shake then hit 7.8 in an hour - made me grumpy :)

Keep going - keep posting - lots of evidence now on this forum that even well controlled people are giving this a go to see if it can push those figures down more.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

After 7 years I have forgotten what the shakes I used (Lipotrim) were like, apart from them tasting rather bland. The soups I found particularly disgusting, and the meal replacement 'flapjack' was like a cork coaster. I got through by regarding the meal replacements as 'medicine' rather than food. I have since tried , on recommendation of another member, shakes from a different company, Shake That Weight. Their powdered drinks can be mixed with milk. I found mixing them with a smaller than recommended amount of almond milk made a nice thick mousse. Also, there are cereal bars that are quite palatable. I find this strange, because normally I dislike sweet foods.

It is the social aspect of eating that can be most difficult. I did at one celebration, sit with a group of friends in a rather fine curry house and sipped water all night as they were feasting. Definitely worth the sacrifice though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook