Newcastle Diet

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

I've started my Newcastle Diet today armed with a ton of Exante shakes, and a bunch of multivitamins. I'm doing the methodology from the most recent Direct study - 4x shakes per day over 8-12 weeks totalling 800 calories. I've already 'reversed' my T2D through following a low-carb diet, but I'm curious to see what else this can achieve for me and my body's insulin sensitivity, and the extra weight loss is a nice bonus too!

My one concession to sanity is a cup of coffee with a dash of milk in the morning, because my job is horrendous at the moment and I need it for my sanity ;-)

I'll update when I can, or if anything interesting happens.

DAY 1

Weight:
16st 2lbs
Fasting BG: 5.8

So far, results as expected - BG spikes after drinking the shakes which are, on average, around 15g per shake. My mixer bottle is awesome and works really well. It's like living in the future!

DAY 3

Weight:
15st 11lbs
Fasting BG: 4.6

Last edited:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @AlexMagd good luck, would you be able to detail what the spike was.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Best of luck! I think I’d just miss chewing :nailbiting:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Best of luck to you.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@AlexMagd Your signature states you have already reduced your HbA1c dramatically. So is the purpose of your ND for weightloss?
Wish you luck, whatever your reasons. Remember to be planning your forever eating regime post ND.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck @AlexMagd . Please keep us updated. As a matter of interest, do you have scales that measure your body composition, as well as weight?

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
all the best. will watch this closely

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @AlexMagd good luck, would you be able to detail what the spike was.

Hi @Mbaker - at the moment I'm spiking up to around 9.2 on average. They're fairly regular spikes so far, though my 'resting' BG levels are going down - into the high 3's at night.

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@AlexMagd Your signature states you have already reduced your HbA1c dramatically. So is the purpose of your ND for weightloss?
Wish you luck, whatever your reasons. Remember to be planning your forever eating regime post ND.

Kind of. The weight loss will be an added bonus as I am still around 3 stone above my target healthy weight. What I'm really hoping it will do is improve my insulin sensitivity to the point where I can reintroduce more carbs into my diet. Obviously the dream is to be able to return to the semblance of normal eating - albeit smaller portions - though personally I think this is unlikely!

Reactions: Pipp

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck @AlexMagd . Please keep us updated. As a matter of interest, do you have scales that measure your body composition, as well as weight?

I don't actually, though have considered them. Any recommendations? I'm always a bit curious as to how they measure body fat

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Kind of. The weight loss will be an added bonus as I am still around 3 stone above my target healthy weight. What I'm really hoping it will do is improve my insulin sensitivity to the point where I can reintroduce more carbs into my diet. Obviously the dream is to be able to return to the semblance of normal eating - albeit smaller portions - though personally I think this is unlikely!
With the post ND eating plan it will be important to slowly introduce carb based foods, if you are choosing to eat that way. Also, most important to test blood glucose and record results including what you have eaten. That way you will know what you can tolerate, and be able to make any adjustments.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't actually, though have considered them. Any recommendations? I'm always a bit curious as to how they measure body fat

The do it by electrical impedence. I have these here. There are many, many around - costing more and less. I particularly wanted these because of the hand grasps, that they measure visceral fat and have a memory of up to 4 users, plus a Guest.. Allegedly they are more reliable the more measuring points they have.

https://www.omron-healthcare.com/en-gb/products/weightmanagement

I have always used a step-on/step-off routine each morning, just looking at my weight (which varies daily, depending on what I've eaten, drunk and other factors), and once a week, I do a full scan, including my VF score. I keep an eye on the VF, rather than be too, too concerned about +/-1kg. That said, my weight has been pretty stable for about 4 years now.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Mbaker - at the moment I'm spiking up to around 9.2 on average. They're fairly regular spikes so far, though my 'resting' BG levels are going down - into the high 3's at night.

Ah ... typical example of how the HbA1c, being just an average of the highs and lows, is not a true reflection of what is going on post meal. I now understand why you are embarking on the ND.