Gaz190078

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Smokers and winter
Hi everyone :)

Can anyone give me some advice I have recently been diagnosed with Type 2 (On Metformin) should I get myself a blood sugar levels monitor to help with this or can I just get on with it and just take my medication as prescribed?

Thanks

Gareth

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone :)

Can anyone give me some advice I have recently been diagnosed with Type 2 (On Metformin) should I get myself a blood sugar levels monitor to help with this or can I just get on with it and just take my medication as prescribed?

Thanks

Gareth
Depends wholly on what you want, really... Most here, myself included, would advise getting a meter and getting your diet sorted. Metformin can make a bit of a difference, but it can't fix everything, usually. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html might help some in getting some insight.

A dist overhaul, or a lifestyle change, which is really for the long run, isn't for everyone though. But it's worked for quite a few of us here. So if you're willing, and/or want to get your blood sugars back into the normal range fairly quick, then give that a go.

Gaz190078

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Smokers and winter
Hi JoKalsbeek

Thanks for the advice, its the first lot I've had not even any from my GP!!! if I get a monitor do i get it from my GP or should I just buy one? if so what would you recommend?

Thanks

Gareth

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi JoKalsbeek

Thanks for the advice, its the first lot I've had not even any from my GP!!! if I get a monitor do i get it from my GP or should I just buy one? if so what would you recommend?

Thanks

Gareth
@Rachox can tell you more about meters, as what's available in the Netherlands differs some and I'm quite useless in that regard. But basically, yeah... Most T2's aren't advised to test, mainly because if they were, the NHS would be bankrupt in the blink of an eye. Keep in mind the testing is a bit of an investment at the start, but once you know what foods do what to your blood sugars, you end up testing a whole lot less. I barely ever do now, except when I'm ill (virus, jaw infection etc), of if I've eaten something I'm not too sure about. While I used to go through a little pot of strips in a week at first, I now use half of one a year, if that.

Gaz190078

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Smokers and winter
@Rachox can tell you more about meters, as what's available in the Netherlands differs some and I'm quite useless in that regard. But basically, yeah... Most T2's aren't advised to test, mainly because if they were, the NHS would be bankrupt in the blink of an eye. Keep in mind the testing is a bit of an investment at the start, but once you know what foods do what to your blood sugars, you end up testing a whole lot less. I barely ever do now, except when I'm ill (virus, jaw infection etc), of if I've eaten something I'm not too sure about. While I used to go through a little pot of strips in a week at first, I now use half of one a year, if that.
Thanks Jo

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Gaz190078 and welcome to the forum.

Here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned.

HOME HEALTH have the Gluco Navii, which is a fairly new model and seems to be getting good reviews.

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...ose-meter-test-strips-choose-mmol-l-or-mg-dl/

Links to the strips for future orders:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/glucose-navii-blood-glucose-test-strips-50-strip-pack/

Then they sell the older SD Code Free, details to be found here!

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

SPIRIT HEALTHCARE have a meter called the Tee2 + which is quite popular:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...e2-blood-glucose-meter?variant=19264017268793

The strips are to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...py-of-tee2-test-strips?variant=19264017367097

If there is a choice of units of measurement then ‘mmol/L’ are the standard units in the UK, ‘mg/dl’ in the US, other countries may vary.

Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

• Friendly
Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oopsie! Cross posted @Pipp , still better twice than not at all!

Reactions: Pipp

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
When I was diagnosed I was supplied a bg monitor as I was prescribe meds. I didnt take the meds and came here, the rest is history. I was informed that if you are on meds you get a monitor from the gp surgery. DN told me this, not sure if its the same now but worth a try. Its the strips that can be expensive the meters are cheap or even free. I self fund and have done since the start. 1 box of strips is not enough for my testing needs ;)

Sax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No longer being prescribed metformin.
Metformin is the default medication for all type 2 diabetics and helps a little by reducing insulin resistance, but isn't a substitute to diet changes.

• Agree
Reactions: Rachox

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was diagnosed I was supplied a bg monitor as I was prescribe meds. I didnt take the meds and came here, the rest is history. I was informed that if you are on meds you get a monitor from the gp surgery. DN told me this, not sure if its the same now but worth a try. Its the strips that can be expensive the meters are cheap or even free. I self fund and have done since the start. 1 box of strips is not enough for my testing needs ;)
Often depends on what meds one is perscribed though.... Metformin usually doesn't cause hypo's, but things like gliclazide or insulin can, and then they do get perscribed. Though even in that case, not always. If you got a meter with just metformin, your GP is an excellent one, a rare jewel.

Reactions: lovinglife

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Often depends on what meds one is perscribed though.... Metformin usually doesn't cause hypo's, but things like gliclazide or insulin can, and then they do get perscribed. Though even in that case, not always. If you got a meter with just metformin, your GP is an excellent one, a rare jewel.
@JoKalsbeek is right, sometimes even when I was on Gliclizide many moons ago my the GP wouldn’t prescribe strips - his reason “because I don’t drive I don’t need to check” so I funded my own, eventually managed to get 1 pot a month out of him but didn’t help really. I’ve moved and I am only on metformin now but my new GP will prescribe strips for me if I want them also very big advocate for keto which is brilliant- as always it’s a post code lottery

Reactions: DJC3 and Pipp

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I was prescribed gliclazide but never took it and its hit and miss now if the gp gives a repeat script for the strips. Works out cheaper for me to self fund to be honest.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek