1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Newly Diagnosed 21 month old

Discussion in 'Children & Teens' started by MamaBettany, Jan 25, 2022.

1. MamaBettany

MamaBettany · Newbie

Hi All
    My youngest was taken into hospital on Friday and diagnosed with type 1. Total out of the blue no family history. Just wanted to say hi and does injecting him get any easier

• Hug Hug x 6
  2. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

I don't have a kid. But I did have a dog that had type 1 and I had to give injections to her. I was already a type 1 so it made it a lot easier. But I belonged to a couple of boards of diabetic dog owners and they would constantly ask if it got easier and they were upset they were causing their dog pain. And I would always tell them, sure sometimes it hurts, but most of the time it doesn't, but you are saving their life. That is the thing to remember, it has to be done for them to live. It's the way it is. You love them and that is why you are doing it.

Given that, it does get easier as you get used to doing it. I hope you have a CGM for him. If not I would really recommend it. I had one on my dog and it was a lifesaver.

3. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

4. Dark_Progress19

Dark_Progress19 · Member

I was 3 years old When I was diagnosed with type one diabetes and I’ve had it for 17 years now I’m 20 live in the life that a normal person would have but still with Diabetes still battling it but when I first started out I was on injections at first. At first I was terrified because I didn’t really understand the whole situation was, I didn’t know what Diabetes was.

When I three years old are used to run away from my mum when she used to try and check my blood sugar and inject me with Nova rapid and Lantus solo star but now I’ve been on the Omnipod since I was 12 years old. That’s helped me so much over the years, plus I’ve also got the G6 sensor that can also check your blood without checking your blood with needles but also the NHS Diabetes team can also look at my blood sugar’s how it’s been over the months and week, even days and that keeps the NHS an estimated result of my HB1C (as I call it)

Yes it’s scary growing up with the hypos and the hypers and keytones, but also I’m the only one in my family with type 1 diabetes no one else has this so I’m scared of worrying my family. I hope your little one gets the Omnipod when they’re older trust me it is amazing also if you would like their number it’s

the diabetes teams have leaflets about it and how it works same with the Dexcom G6 where you can just look at your blood sugar from your phone or tablet.

I hope this information will be of some help for future help.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook