Newly Diagnosed 21 month old

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I don't have a kid. But I did have a dog that had type 1 and I had to give injections to her. I was already a type 1 so it made it a lot easier. But I belonged to a couple of boards of diabetic dog owners and they would constantly ask if it got easier and they were upset they were causing their dog pain. And I would always tell them, sure sometimes it hurts, but most of the time it doesn't, but you are saving their life. That is the thing to remember, it has to be done for them to live. It's the way it is. You love them and that is why you are doing it.

Given that, it does get easier as you get used to doing it. I hope you have a CGM for him. If not I would really recommend it. I had one on my dog and it was a lifesaver.

• Winner
Reactions: Robbity

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Reactions: filly
I was 3 years old When I was diagnosed with type one diabetes and I’ve had it for 17 years now I’m 20 live in the life that a normal person would have but still with Diabetes still battling it but when I first started out I was on injections at first. At first I was terrified because I didn’t really understand the whole situation was, I didn’t know what Diabetes was.

When I three years old are used to run away from my mum when she used to try and check my blood sugar and inject me with Nova rapid and Lantus solo star but now I’ve been on the Omnipod since I was 12 years old. That’s helped me so much over the years, plus I’ve also got the G6 sensor that can also check your blood without checking your blood with needles but also the NHS Diabetes team can also look at my blood sugar’s how it’s been over the months and week, even days and that keeps the NHS an estimated result of my HB1C (as I call it)

Yes it’s scary growing up with the hypos and the hypers and keytones, but also I’m the only one in my family with type 1 diabetes no one else has this so I’m scared of worrying my family. I hope your little one gets the Omnipod when they’re older trust me it is amazing also if you would like their number it’s

the diabetes teams have leaflets about it and how it works same with the Dexcom G6 where you can just look at your blood sugar from your phone or tablet.

I hope this information will be of some help for future help.

button100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Our 3 year old was diagnosed last Tuesday. So one week ago. We’ve got a dexcom6 sensor now which has already made life much easier. We’re still doing injections but get our pump a week on Friday which by all accounts makes it much easier. It’s only been a week and we’re feeling a lot more confident about it. Keep going. It’ll be ok. Xxx

Brian mc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All
My youngest was taken into hospital on Friday and diagnosed with type 1. Total out of the blue no family history. Just wanted to say hi and does injecting him get any easier
My 2 year old was diagnosed with type 1 recently. Again, same as yourself, was just totally out the blue. Has it got easier to manage for. You and your family? We are only 3 weeks in and it's just so stressful. Would be great if you had any advice or hints and tips.

Sending love to you and your little one.
Take care

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM and filly

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Brian mc Hopefully they see this and respond, that would be really nice. But you might start a new thread and ask for help? More people might see it. There is recently a @katie32 that recently had a child diagnosed too.

Reactions: Brian mc

Brian mc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Marie. I'll do that.

My heart goes out to @katie32 . Its such a massive change. Just 1 step at a time and we will all get there.

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM

fawbs

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Insulin
You should watch the diabetic solution it's about children diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and the benefits of a low carb diet x

fawbs

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Insulin
It really is avery interesting documentary and really highlights the low carb lifestyle x

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Brian mc Be careful of putting a child on low carb diet. Nutritionally you want to make sure they have a well rounded diet. It's not that they can't learn to snack or eat low carb foods, but kids already feel different when they are a type 1 and not being able to enjoy the foods along with classmates and friends can be an added burden. It's usually best from other type 1 kids to try to let them be as normal as possible. They already feel different and that's rougher on a kid. It's usually hard enough to explain the restrictions of I have to give you insulin for everything you eat, so I need to know what you ate. Or have them sneak the cookie and not tell you.

fawbs

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Insulin
And here in lies the problem. Quite simply being type1 means you can't eat what other kids eat. I understand your point but when tou are trying to balance overall health vs 'fitting in' health always comes first. Low carb or carb restrictive diets have been proven rime and rime again to limit issues and improve overall health in diabetics child or not.

I suggest watching the documentary before commenting :). It follows several families of young children who were initially doing as you say and letting their kid eat anything to 'fit in' and they became very poorly as a consequence. The reduced carb diet dis not affect them in any way other than to allow them to reduce overall insulin intake and increase blood stability.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@fawbs Mody that you have is different than type 1. A type 1 has to take insulin for everything you eat and you have to learn to carb count. Lower carbs is sometimes easier to judge the right insulin amount and it doesn't mean some people aren't successful in gearing their kids towards eating low carb foods. But what a book says about a few successful families ,(and that not everyone agrees on as being good), doesn't mean there is any long term research on purposely restricting and raising a kid low carb. Removing processed food is good for any kid, but it's also important to try to let a kid be a kid and to make sure in a type 1's case that they learn they have to have insulin for food without causing any more issues than you need too.

It doesn't mean you can't choose low carb foods, but it does mean a full range of nutritious foods should be eaten. A type 1's journey is different. There is no food restrictions as we have to have insulin even for a bowl of rboccoli. And obviously for any kid or adult, choosing broccoli over a cookie is better for you. But you also have to pay attention to making sure the kid gets to be a kid for mental health too.

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM

fawbs

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Insulin
I have taken insulin since the age of 14 and am VERY aware of how to carb count.

If I maintain a low carb diet I take less insulin and my blood sugars are much more stable overall.

[mod edit to align with forum etiquette.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: filly

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@fawbs At 14 is rough. Adolescents that are type 1 have the worse control because a lot don't want to take their insulin as needed. But at least at 14 they know the reasons, they just don't want to do what it takes or believe they have to. But there is difference in a young child having to have insulin for everything they eat and restricting their diet and that there is no research to show that it's good for them long term. Lower carbs foods can be chosen to eat and it can be easier to dose for. But raising a young child restricting their diet to low carb, might not be a good choice health wise or emotional wise.

bluechickadee

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi All
My youngest was taken into hospital on Friday and diagnosed with type 1. Total out of the blue no family history. Just wanted to say hi and does injecting him get any easier

Hey….I am so sorry you’re a part of this group.

My daughter was diagnosed in April ‘22, she was 3 1/2.

We tried spoons in the freezer, that really worked well for a few days. You might have more luck with it.

The first little while we were doing shots we sang songs. Helped a little bit.

For us the best thing has been to let her enter her numbers into Dexcom as I’m doing her shots. Not really helping her be more independent doing her own shots, but I’m not worried about that right now. Just trying to get her through…she also likes to colour on my phone. I just open up Notes and let her scribble.

Basaglar stings when it goes in, so I always let her pick where that one goes. She’s quite lean, but has a bit more chunk on her legs. Usually picks her legs for it.

When it’s time for shots I try to let her have ultimate decision power when to have her shots. Finish playing her game, etc. Sometime she needs a minute to work up to it (especially the morning one cause of her long lasting). And for the most part she gets to pick the spot she has it.

I know it’s tough….I don’t know if it gets easier, but it becomes your new normal. I still don’t like doing it, especially knowing it’s going to upset her but I need to do it to keep her out of the hospital so I put on my brave face and go for it.

How are you doing a month in?