Newly diagnosed and complications already

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone!

I'm new here and hoping to seek advice / support. I was just diagnosed this week with Type 2. I was not surprised to hear this as my levels had been high since Oct 2017 and a strong family history. I am not on medication yet as we are going to see if diet will help first. I am 28 and have always been relatively healthy and active until mid 2017 when I had to finish my degree which came with high stress, no sleep, no time to eat healthy or exercise. Safe to say my body suffered terribly.
The diagnosis doesn't scare me however in the lead up to the diagnosis I have been suffering a number of other problems. I'm concerned because is it common to suffer such bad complications this early on?

My issues in the lead up to diagnosis over the past 3 months are:
muscle twitching (mainly my thumbs), loss of thumb range of motion on my dominant hand, nerve pain in my outer forearm and tricep of the same arm coupled with extreme muscle tightness in those muscles. My left calf in particular is extremely tight even at rest, nothing relieves it, there is also what appears to be some kind of dent if you will, in that stiff spot. The tightness is travelling up into my quads and hamstrings now as well.

So I was wondering if anyone can share if these other issues are related or experienced anything similar?! - my doctors aren't really helping me and it's impacting my everyday life. 3 months of these nerve and muscle issues that just seem to get worse each day.

Thanks guys!
Hi there, have they definitively stated you are type 2?, you are young, your bmi appears normal. I was told that if you present like that they should do further tests (ie antibodies/C Peptide etc) but what do I know!

dani1001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Dani

Good start !!

Low carbs will reduce the blood sugars, so HbA1c falls will naturally follow. That will flow through to your arms, hands and leg and feelings in the limbs should return in time. You're here now so be prepared for a lot more help. What we're here for :)

Lot to learn Dani but that's fine ... and a huge compliment to you for staying around. Some just don't

You do

Mike

Hey Mike,
Thanks! Would you recommend I follow up about my issues regarding the constant muscle tightness though?

dani1001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there, have they definitively stated you are type 2?, you are young, your bmi appears normal. I was told that if you present like that they should do further tests (ie antibodies/C Peptide etc) but what do I know!

Hi KK,

Thanks for your reply! Yep my diagnosis was a severe glucose intolerance and T2! My BMI is 31 so its quite high. I have done all the anti body and peptide etc bloods and they all came back squeaky clean!

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure if this wil help but make sure your fluid intake is good. Sometimes the causes muscles cramping etc. is dehydration.

Reactions: dani1001 and Incyb

CoastGirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @dani1001 and welcome! It is not possible to get an accurate test for magnesium as the majority of it is stored in the bones and not the blood. I would definitely try a bath or foot soak once or twice a week in magnesium flakes or Epsom salts. I am not medically trained but your symptoms do sound like a deficiency in minerals. T2 diabetics can have a problem with mineral absorption.

Reactions: dani1001 and Incyb

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi KK,

Thanks for your reply! Yep my diagnosis was a severe glucose intolerance and T2! My BMI is 31 so its quite high. I have done all the anti body and peptide etc bloods and they all came back squeaky clean!
I notice that people are asking about it being a magnesium deficiency. However, is it only in certain parts of your body that you get this problem? Could you be tensing some parts without realising it?

I have similar symptoms when I havent had enough salt that day, but it tends to be in both my legs and arms. I hope it can be sorted for you.

Reactions: dani1001

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey dani1001, welcome to the Forum! You will find this a great place to come and ask all kinds of questions and get all kinds of interesting/helpful answers and certainly lots of support. Now, I am not a Dr but have a couple of thoughts for you to consider:
1) You mentioned that you have been crazy busy finishing your degree, which I suspect means many hours on the computer, writing notes....general tension all around, especially your dominate hand....Some of this cramping could be from being "tight" in those areas, especially how you describe your forearm and thumb.

2) Regarding your leg, I'm wondering about your seating arrangement as that can bring a lot of stress/pressure to your sciatic nerve if you are not sitting ergonomically. Also probably doing a lot of sitting with all the school work. (Guys can have problems like you describe with sitting on their big fat wallets in their back pockets!!)

3) You are female and with your monthly cycle, you could be low in magnesium....which can cause you to feel tightness in your muscles.

I take magnesium supplements to ease my muscle pain/spasms and it helps a lot. I get terrible pain and spasms in my forearms and legs and it's usually due to being on the computer too much.... Also R-Alpha lipoic acid is said to be good for tingling//numbness in diabetics....You might want to look into these options.

i would suggest that you also start doing some gentle stretches, perhaps some yoga moves that would loosen things up for you? Dr. Google would probably be helpful - youtube maybe for videos????

Hope that gives you something to think about !Blessings/L

Reactions: Incyb

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome.

You said that all your tests for deficiencies came back fine.
Did you actually see copies of that, and see what your results were and how they fit into the reference ranges.

For example, a test for a particular vitamin or mineral may have a 'normal reference range' of 100-400, and the patient may have a test result of 101 and be told 'everything is fine'.

But, of course, that isn't necessarily so, and the patient may have symptoms of deficiency which would be rectified if their personal reading rose to 150.

See what I mean?

I would strongly suggest that you ask your doctor's surgery for a print out of the actual results, or sign up with the receptionist for online access. That way you get to see your actual results and can look them up and understand them at home, in your own time.

Also, it is perfectly possible that your muscle problems are unrelated to nutrition or diabetes. They could come from posture, or exercise, or repetitive movements at work, at a desk, etc. You may find that stretching, yoga or pilates have a profound effect.

Hope that helps. :)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Hey Mike,
Thanks! Would you recommend I follow up about my issues regarding the constant muscle tightness though?

Depends on the level of discomfort Dani and the underlying cause .... but the suggestions above warrant some thought :)

Mike

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
2) Regarding your leg, I'm wondering about your seating arrangement as that can bring a lot of stress/pressure to your sciatic nerve if you are not sitting ergonomically. Also probably doing a lot of sitting with all the school work. (Guys can have problems like you describe with sitting on their big fat wallets in their back pockets!!)

That's something I was wondering about. I had a nine month spell at work where I was working ten to twelve hour days most days and most of that time was spent sat down. Towards the end of the period I started getting pain in my lower back which then became a pin in my leg which moved around quite a bit - one day it would be the thigh, the next the shin, plus my calf was cramping in the night. Saw my GP about it who referred my on to a physio at my local hospital and his option was that I'd pinched my sciatic nerve.

Anyway, I hope you get everything sorted soon @dani1001

dani1001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's something I was wondering about. I had a nine month spell at work where I was working ten to twelve hour days most days and most of that time was spent sat down. Towards the end of the period I started getting pain in my lower back which then became a pin in my leg which moved around quite a bit - one day it would be the thigh, the next the shin, plus my calf was cramping in the night. Saw my GP about it who referred my on to a physio at my local hospital and his option was that I'd pinched my sciatic nerve.

Anyway, I hope you get everything sorted soon @dani1001

Hey @david1968 thanks for your message! I really hope that's all it is. I cant take much more! My leg is stiff all day everyday now even when i'm sitting down! Glad you got yours sorted :)

dani1001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome.

You said that all your tests for deficiencies came back fine.
Did you actually see copies of that, and see what your results were and how they fit into the reference ranges.

For example, a test for a particular vitamin or mineral may have a 'normal reference range' of 100-400, and the patient may have a test result of 101 and be told 'everything is fine'.

But, of course, that isn't necessarily so, and the patient may have symptoms of deficiency which would be rectified if their personal reading rose to 150.

See what I mean?

I would strongly suggest that you ask your doctor's surgery for a print out of the actual results, or sign up with the receptionist for online access. That way you get to see your actual results and can look them up and understand them at home, in your own time.

Also, it is perfectly possible that your muscle problems are unrelated to nutrition or diabetes. They could come from posture, or exercise, or repetitive movements at work, at a desk, etc. You may find that stretching, yoga or pilates have a profound effect.

Hope that helps. :)

Hey @Brunneria

Thank you very much for your response! I have got copies of all my results and the only thing that came back in the "low normal" range was magnesium. However I have been on a strong magnesium for 4 months with no relief now! So i do start to worry as it gets worse and no better! Unfortunatley my leg or arm hasn't responded to 2 months worth of rest or physio either! Very frustrating! I will look into yoga this week! Thank you so much :)

dani1001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @dani1001 and welcome! It is not possible to get an accurate test for magnesium as the majority of it is stored in the bones and not the blood. I would definitely try a bath or foot soak once or twice a week in magnesium flakes or Epsom salts. I am not medically trained but your symptoms do sound like a deficiency in minerals. T2 diabetics can have a problem with mineral absorption.

Hi @CoastGirl Thanks for your reply! I like the idea of soaking in the magnesium salts! I will give this a try!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is great that you have the printouts :)

What magnesium type are you using? There are (I think) around 8 different types of magnesium supplements sold, and each one has a different absorbability, from 10% to 90% and with varying levels of laxative effect.

Might be worth checking how much of your supplement is likely to be being absorbed.

dani1001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is great that you have the printouts :)

What magnesium type are you using? There are (I think) around 8 different types of magnesium supplements sold, and each one has a different absorbability, from 10% to 90% and with varying levels of laxative effect.

Might be worth checking how much of your supplement is likely to be being absorbed.

Can magnesium deficiency cause these problems only in certain areas though? Like specifically in my right arm and left leg?

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sorry you are having problems but I would say the stiffness etc you are having is not down to diabetes but is more like stress and worry that is making your body so tense. Most people with complications have had uncontrolled diabetes for many years but it is not inevitable for all diabetics to get complications You really need to see your GP about it

_markwilburn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was having trouble with tightness and cramp in my lower legs and feet. I used magnesium supplements and the issue stopped after a couple of weeks I also keep really well hydrated. Exercise is really important too even if it's just a walk for 30 minutes or so. Good luck and I'm sure you'll be fine.