Newly Diagnosed and Confused

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love almonds and walnuts
Quick word of warning.. I find my off switch with nuts is quite hard to activate.. easy to have more than you intended..
see if you can weigh out a small portion, eat them and then stop..

IBEX82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Quick word of warning.. I find my off switch with nuts is quite hard to activate.. easy to have more than you intended..
see if you can weigh out a small portion, eat them and then stop..

They are very moreish.. I shall weigh a serving and see how I get on... or maybe just use two to three peacans crushed with my full fat yoghurt and strawberries in the morning in place of blueberries.

M

Member496333

Ohh no! Almonds are off then.. I like peacans :) off to read up, thank you :)

No, not necessarily. Just making you aware that they are not the lowest of the low with regard to carbohydrate. Only you will know/discover if you’re happy with that.

IBEX82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
No, not necessarily. Just making you aware that they are not the lowest of the low with regard to carbohydrate. Only you will know/discover if you’re happy with that.

I can always try and test :)

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Almonds are low in Carbs, but not as low as most other nuts - that is why I suggested them for a night snack to prevent going Hypo. If they had no carbs they would be useless for that !

IBEX82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Almonds are low in Carbs, but not as low as most other nuts - that is why I suggested them for a night snack to prevent going Hypo. If they had no carbs they would be useless for that !

Doh! Apologies.. didn’t even think - 100% right. I’m easily confused :)

IBEX82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just got some almonds for my bedtime snack if needed and some pecans to add to my breakfast. I got small packs so I can’t over indulge :)

And thanks so much for the diet doctor link - that website is amazing!

I also weighed in this morning and I’ve lost 1.3kg in two weeks of low carbing.. I know this is very modest but since I’m on steroids I’m taking it as a huge win :)

Also, anyone else find they were a little constipated when going low carb?

M

Member496333

Sainsbury’s also sell handy 100g packs of macadamia halves. I now rarely bother, as I’m currently almost entirely carnivore, but the 100g bags are a good size to avoid overconsumption.

Reactions: IBEX82

IBEX82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sainsbury’s also sell handy 100g packs of macadamia halves. I now rarely bother, as I’m currently almost entirely carnivore, but the 100g bags are a good size to avoid overconsumption.

Yes! I found a 3 for 2 at Tesco today - 100g ‘snack’ packs. I figured they’d last me a bit - just a couple crushed in my breakfast and keep the almonds if I’m too low before bed.

I was also reading flaxseed is good for you in small amounts and can be good for constipation. At £5.00 for a bag of linseed milled flaxseed I was a bit put off. However, Tesco had the golden whole flaxseeds for £1 and I have a nutribullet so I’ll have a go grinding my own I think.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
anyone else find they were a little constipated when going low carb

Really constipated as having to strain or simply "going" less?
Low carb diets tend to have less "bulk" so you may need to go less often.

Reactions: IBEX82
M

Member496333

I wouldn’t worry too much about constipation unless it persists or is severe. It’s fairly normal for people to experience it a little when adapting to low carbohydrate eating, but this usually passes in time. There are also studies that show fibre actually increases constipation, but that’s probably controversial and not worth getting into here.

IBEX82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Really constipated as having to strain or simply "going" less?
Low carb diets tend to have less "bulk" so you may need to go less often.

Just going less and then when I am going just slightly hard which I’m trying to avoid as I’m on anticoagulant injections and paranoid about getting a tear etc.

I was going every day and now about every other day?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was going every day and now about every other day?

That sounds ok.. you may need some extra salt in your diet? That has been known to help a bit.

It does take a while for your body to adapt I've had a few hard poo episodes but they were fairly few and far between.
Doing an experiment of beef only for January I didn't go for 10 days and got a bit worried I will admit. Added some magnesiun citrate to my coffee and all settled down again but with a very small amount. Beef is amazingly nutritious and leaves very little waste was my finding.

Reactions: Caeseji and IBEX82

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Seeds are an excellent way of helping prevent constipation. I have chia seeds made into chia pudding and I make a low carb chocolate granola which is made predominantly seeds. A dessertspoon of that is lovely with yoghurt or cream

M

Member496333

If you want irregular visits to the throne, try eating a diet rich in raw meats and organs. Once every few days isn’t uncommon. Virtually no waste at all :D

Reactions: Caeseji and IBEX82

IBEX82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
That sounds ok.. you may need some extra salt in your diet? That has been known to help a bit.

It does take a while for your body to adapt I've had a few hard poo episodes but they were fairly few and far between.
Doing an experiment of beef only for January I didn't go for 10 days and got a bit worried I will admit. Added some magnesiun citrate to my coffee and all settled down again but with a very small amount. Beef is amazingly nutritious and leaves very little waste was my finding.

Yeah I think every other day isn’t bad, as I say they’re just harder than normal and literally harder to pass. Isn’t the body a wonderful thing?! I never thought I’d be discussing my bowels on the internet, but here we are! :D

IBEX82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If you want irregular visits to the throne, try eating a diet rich in raw meats and organs. Once every few days isn’t uncommon. Virtually no waste at all :D

I think I’d prefer this... at least if there’s nothing to pass there’s no hard stools :p

IBEX82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Seeds are an excellent way of helping prevent constipation. I have chia seeds made into chia pudding and I make a low carb chocolate granola which is made predominantly seeds. A dessertspoon of that is lovely with yoghurt or cream

Great tip, I love chia seeds and used them in kale and Greek yogurt smoothies before :) I’ll have to get some in.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sadly that also means by just failing to show up someone who could benefit (they may have no knowledge at all and some is better than none) or want the appointment doesn’t get offered it. Same with all nhs appointments. Please reconsider doing this.

Of course I wasn’t referring to booking an appointment and not turning up!! Don’t book the appointment in the first place - which is exactly what I said in the post and what I did myself.

Reactions: HSSS

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Of course I wasn’t referring to booking an appointment and not turning up!! Don’t book the appointment in the first place - which is exactly what I said in the post and what I did myself.
Ah sorry. Mine was booked by the practice not directly by me, so I read “make the appointment” as meaning attend rather than book.

Last edited: