Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, thank you for this. Researched it, Practice knew nothing about it but there is a programme but it states you can’t go on it if you already have a diagnosis, which makes no sense especially as the adverts show a patient with type 2 reversing it, so not expecting to be accepted! Was told to expect heart disease, strokes etc as the disease progresses and now other half is terrified. Hard to be positive today, well done to you!
A GP or nurse advising type 2s to eat carbohydrates is not going to see anything positive in their future, but a lot of people seem to be doing very well by doing what is supposed to be bad for us - eating meat and fish, picking our carbs because the colours are pretty and just ignoring the bland tasting starchy or sugary ones.

Reactions: Owlie123

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Owlie123 Try not to worry or to panic. T2 takes many years to develop. Nothing bad is going to happen quickly. It is going to take a lifetime of management . Along the way will be mistakes, falls off the wagon, leaps off the wagon, restarts and new information.
There's a lot of learning ahead and lots of new studies and research yet to be discovered.
Just aim to do what you can manage to fit into your daily lifestyle that becomes as natural and normal as you need it to be.
Many on this forum have been managing their diabetes "well enough" for a number of years. For some of us underlying damage may have already been done, but we did not know and aren't guilty. We will simply cope, as best we can, most of us with the aim of having the minimum of medication necessary.
You've found a good place to start your journey. Just dont rush ahead too fast and too far and expect perfection. That isn't diabetes' narrative. It is both a roller coaster and a marathon and a learning curve all at once. Try to pace yourself, it isn't a sprint that can be won and completed.
You've found a good place for support. It s nice when people take up the baton and pass it on in time. I have a feeling you will be one of those.
Welcome to the fold.

(Aka how many mixed metaphors in one posting!)

Reactions: Owlie123

Owlie123

A GP or nurse advising type 2s to eat carbohydrates is not going to see anything positive in their future, but a lot of people seem to be doing very well by doing what is supposed to be bad for us - eating meat and fish, picking our carbs because the colours are pretty and just ignoring the bland tasting starchy or sugary ones.
It was a very depressing meeting to be honest, to be told x y and z would happen further on down the line was quite upsetting.

Owlie123

@Owlie123 Try not to worry or to panic. T2 takes many years to develop. Nothing bad is going to happen quickly. It is going to take a lifetime of management . Along the way will be mistakes, falls off the wagon, leaps off the wagon, restarts and new information.
There's a lot of learning ahead and lots of new studies and research yet to be discovered.
Just aim to do what you can manage to fit into your daily lifestyle that becomes as natural and normal as you need it to be.
Many on this forum have been managing their diabetes "well enough" for a number of years. For some of us underlying damage may have already been done, but we did not know and aren't guilty. We will simply cope, as best we can, most of us with the aim of having the minimum of medication necessary.
You've found a good place to start your journey. Just dont rush ahead too fast and too far and expect perfection. That isn't diabetes' narrative. It is both a roller coaster and a marathon and a learning curve all at once. Try to pace yourself, it isn't a sprint that can be won and completed.
You've found a good place for support. It s nice when people take up the baton and pass it on in time. I have a feeling you will be one of those.
Welcome to the fold.

(Aka how many mixed metaphors in one posting!)
Thanks so much for your kind words! I feel so much better after joining this group and getting such positive responses. So many people have taken the time to try and help and it is very much appreciated! Just need to be positive, research and get organised with my food, yes if I can help anyone I will. You have to love a mixed metaphor!

MrsDoodle72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise. But I'd better change that.
Now lost 4.7kg. Starting to feel much better. TArget still 15kg. Doc given me beta blockers for the heart tachy. Looking in mirror, only have one double chin instead of 3....

Using Exante shakes, loads of green vegetables, and some solid food (mainly organic salmon and some cheese).

Paul A G

Hi, I have just been diagnosed with type 2, my blood test was 54 and I am overweight. I will be honest it wasn’t a shock as diagnosed with prediabetes a few years ago and well, did nothing about it. Other half started researching and read everything about reversing it, saw documentary by Michael Moseley. Bought the book as a starting point for healthy eating and off we went. Was over 17 stones and 3 weeks later 15 stone 5. We were positive and were taking a proactive attitude ...until the diabetes nurse rang. Let’s just say she had never heard of this healthy lifestyle plan and jumped to the conclusion I was just on low calorie packet shakes, I’m not. Was quite adamant it doesn’t really work etc.

We have our first face to face meeting coming up and I’m not looking forward to it. I was trying to put a brave face on and kept thinking I was doing well, this has totally floored me and I don’t want to go. I want the chance to try and reverse it but it doesn’t sound like I will get the chance to.

my reason for posting is to ask what information I should be getting and what answers I need to enable me to tackle this properly. Hands up I have screwed up but surely I must be able to help myself somehow?

thanks for any advice given
I was diagnosed at the end of July as type 2 following a blood test for an unrelated issue. My HbA1c was 69. My BMI was 29.7 just verging on obese.

The diabetic nurse wanted to get me started on metformin immediately. I politely declined the offer of medication and agreed to review the situation in 3 months after I had the chance to alter my diet and lose some weight. She was highly dubious that it would have any significant effect. In fact once I'd "taken her off her script", so to speak, she couldn't get me out of the door fast enough.

I went back for my review at the beginning of November. My weight was down by 18kg and my BMI down from 29.7 to 23.7. My HbA1c? Well that was down to from 69 to 42.

I would also highly recommend Professor Roy Taylor’s book “Life Without Diabetes” I found it really helpful.

If you are planning to buy a Blood Glucose meter then it's worth looking at the diabeticsupply.co.uk website. If you register and confirm that you are a diabetic then you get the meter and supplies VAT free. I use a GlucoRX Nexus.

At the end of the day it's your body, be sensible but don't let them bully you, or rush you into decisions that you are not comfortable with.

Reactions: JustLucky