1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Newly diagnosed and need help

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Owlie123, Nov 13, 2021.

1. Owlie123

Owlie123 · Member

The book was written in 2017 all by Michael Moseley, will have a look at keto thank you!

2. Rowgirl

Rowgirl LADA · Well-Known Member

Hi, it sounds like you've made great progress so far, well done. I got diagnosed T2 in March, it's been a difficult few months. I thought I could sort it out myself but struggled. It wasn't until I came onto this site that I realised a balanced died for non diabetic isn't a balanced diet for me to maintain good blood sugars. After my hba1c rising from 50 to 67, I've basically cut out a lot of carbs, no bread, pasta, pastry, potatoes etc. Carb levels of below 5g per 100g has brought down my blood sugars. At times this has been overwhelming, but coming onto this site and reading that i'm not alone. My gp is very sweet but it's been the diabetic nurse who deals with diabetics at my surgery. Again she is very nice, but just says a balanced diet and exercise. But it's much more than that. I've got a monitor, and it is helping to find out what to avoid. Good luck.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. BoringBrian

BoringBrian Type 2 · Member

Hello Owlie,
    Can I suggest you watch some Dennis Pollock Beat Diabetes videos on YouTube. He explains it better than I can, plus lots of inspirational stories of people taking control of of their health.
    I found that eating 2 meals a day suited me, and within a six hour window. It’s something you can gradually build up to if you want to give it a go.
    Just try to avoid snacking to give your liver and pancreas a rest, and always read the carbohydrates label on anything you buy.
    I can also recommend Sarah Hallberg TED talk video and any by Dr Jason Fung.
    Lastly google Dr David Unwin and download his charts on equivalent teaspoons of sugar.
    I hope what I said makes sense and can help you.
    Best wishes

4. Owlie123

Owlie123 · Member

Thank you for sharing and for your advice!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Owlie123

Owlie123 · Member

That is brilliant thank you so much! Going to start looking at this list now!

6. Owlie123

Owlie123 · Member

Can anyone recommend a book that lists what is good to eat because I get confused with the different carbs and what fruit you eat.

Also, once you get your Hba1c back to normal sugar wise, can you then go to a balanced diet or do you have to stick to a low carb diet forever?

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to reply with invaluable advice!

7. MoorT2

MoorT2 · Well-Known Member

I'm interested to know this too.

I think the reality is once you are diabetic you are for life. So we are always going to have to be careful. Being a 'healthy weight' and exercise can help improve body's ability to process blood sugar but I don't think it ever gets back to "normal".

I'd love to be corrected on that though.

• Informative Informative x 1
    #27 MoorT2, Nov 14, 2021 at 1:28 PM
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
  8. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I have made up my own list of things to eat just jotting them down in a note book.
    Mixtures usually come packaged so they have details in the nutrition list.
    One thing to be aware of if you look up information on the internet is that in the US they include the fibre in the carb count, which is odd as it is pretty much indigestible, but they spell it 'fiber' so it is possible to tell.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jonathan183

jonathan183 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Peoples ability to tolerate higher carbohydrate content varies between people. This will also be affected by how much damage has been done by the high blood glucose levels.

Carbs can be addictive so you will need to consider that if you decide to significantly increase carbs once you have achieved your targets. I'd suggest after you achieve your targets you could increase carbs a little to increase the range of foods you are able to eat but would stay away from highly processed carbs and sugar ... but its only my suggestion ;)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. A commonly recommended one is the CodeFree on Amazon as it has low cost test strips. All the meters meet the same standards of accuracy so go for the ones with the lowest cost strips. Note these are VAT free if you are a diabetic.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

You will find you need to control the carbs as part of an ongoing lifestyle. The traditional Western diet isn't balanced for health which is why so many are obese. We no longer exercise or live in cold homes as we once did so carbs need to be kept down. As long as your BS remains OK and your BMI is good then that amount of carbs is OK.

12. Tannith

Tannith · BANNED

The low calorie diet or T2 diabetes very much does work if you start it early enough in the progress of your diabetes ie in the first 4 to 6 years approx. So much so that the NHS has adopted a version of it. Your nurse should absolutely know about that. It isn't easy, but as substantial weight loss will work using any diet, you might like to try what has been dubbed the Newcastle style approach which is a gentler version of the famous Newcsastle diet. This worked for me.
    https://diabetesmyway.nhs.uk/preventing-diabetes/nhs-low-calorie-diet-programme/

13. Tannith

Tannith · BANNED

Reversing Type 2 Diabetes and ongoing remission
    • Public Information
    • Background
    • DiRECT
    • Life Without Diabetes
    • Scientific Information

The information on this page is for doctors and scientists. It includes slides on various aspects of the reversal of Type 2 diabetes as well as published papers.

• Newcastle research has established that type 2 diabetes is caused by excess fat in liver and pancreas.
    • If this fat is removed in the first ~6 years of diabetes, functional beta cell mass gradually returns to a completely normal level over 12 months in most people.
    • The immediate loss of fat from the pancreas following weight loss is from a labile pool, and this is observed only in those with type 2 diabetes and not non-diabetic people.
    • The small, irregular pancreas typical of type 2 diabetes returns towards normal volume, and returns to completely normal shape over 2 years of remission.
    • Provided weight loss is maintained, beta cell function does not decline over the following years.
    • The UK consensus definition of remission of type 2 diabetes [link to https://doi.org/10.15277/bjd.2019.221] is an HbA1c <48mmol/mol (<6.5%) off all diabetes medication, achieved by weight loss and maintained for 6 month
    https://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal/#scientificinformation

• Informative Informative x 2
    #33 Tannith, Nov 14, 2021 at 7:43 PM
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
  14. klogs17

klogs17 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Owlie123 I’ve mostly relied on the DietDoctor website/Instagram, it is so useful for finding good recipes. It also has handy carb diagrams for fruits, vegetables and nuts. I’m only 2.5 months into this journey and understand that it is info overload from all directions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Owlie123

Owlie123 · Member

Hi, fantastic thanks so much for taking the time to get those links and info, going to have a look now!

16. Owlie123

Owlie123 · Member

Wow! I just hope I am within this time frame, thank you so much for the links!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Owlie123

Owlie123 · Member

Thank you so much for the information!

18. Owlie123

Owlie123 · Member

Great thank you!

19. Owlie123

Owlie123 · Member

Thank you!

20. Owlie123

Owlie123 · Member

Hi, thank you for this. Researched it, Practice knew nothing about it but there is a programme but it states you can’t go on it if you already have a diagnosis, which makes no sense especially as the adverts show a patient with type 2 reversing it, so not expecting to be accepted! Was told to expect heart disease, strokes etc as the disease progresses and now other half is terrified. Hard to be positive today, well done to you!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook