Newly diagnosed - consistent high readings

Mungobean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I’m Willow. I am newly diagnosed with T2 and have just been given insulin today. I have a jejunostomy and rely on that for nutrition. Now I have a blood glucose monitor I am paranoid about my high readings. I started off at 12mmol before any feed and this afternoon it got to 20mmol and then just carried on up to 25. So now I am paranoid about it - I feel as though I need to keep checking, but because I am constantly feeding, it’s just going up and up and I feel quite light headed. The diabetic nurse was lovely this morning but I still feel kind of alone and concerned - is it going to keep on going up, as long as I am feeding and at what point should I be concerned?

thank you

DisFanJen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok, those numbers are high but it's all about getting the balance right. I don't know much about a jejunostomy apart from what I just googled, does it constantly feed or do you still take nutrition at specific times.

Also, you say you've been given insulin, what types and doses? These are the things that will need tweaking to get those numbers back into what are considered normal levels.

I won't give any specific advise about that as I've only been on insulin for a while myself, and it's a different process for everyone, but I will say that I was at silly numbers when I went into hospital with a DKA and after less then 6 months am now off of bolas insulin and only take basal insulin and am maintaining my numbers in the 5s & 6s.

So the advice I will give is check your numbers yes, but don't panic about it yet, it's a process and will take time to dial in. Keep close contact with your care team and they will help you adjust your medication until those numbers are where you want them, but be proactive about it. I found that I had to push to get on the best regime for me and not just be dropped on what was cheapest\easiest for the NHS.

Mungobean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, thanks for the reply. I feed for around 12 hours per day, continuously, starting when I get up. I have been given a basal insulin - abasaglar - and I have been started at 8 units.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hi, I’m Willow. I am newly diagnosed with T2 and have just been given insulin today. I have a jejunostomy and rely on that for nutrition. Now I have a blood glucose monitor I am paranoid about my high readings. I started off at 12mmol before any feed and this afternoon it got to 20mmol and then just carried on up to 25. So now I am paranoid about it - I feel as though I need to keep checking, but because I am constantly feeding, it’s just going up and up and I feel quite light headed. The diabetic nurse was lovely this morning but I still feel kind of alone and concerned - is it going to keep on going up, as long as I am feeding and at what point should I be concerned?

thank you
Welcome to the forum. You are newly diagnosed and put straight on insulin which is unusual? What tests have they completed to diagnose you as T2? Insulin will get your blood sugars down, but they will be taking it slow so your eye-sight isn't affected too much. You will feel better when your blood sugars are back in the normal range.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
The diabetic nurse was lovely this morning but I still feel kind of alone and concerned - is it going to keep on going up, as long as I am feeding and at what point should I be concerned?

Your diabetic nurse should be adjusting those doses so that your levels gradually come down. Everyone needs different amounts of insulin and as @ert said they will be taking it slowly because fast changes can damage your eyesight. They much prefer to start at a low dose and increase it rather than risk too much insulin.

As long as you are in frequent contact with your nurse I personally wouldn't be too concerned.

Tagging @Erin and @luceeloo who are both T2s on insulin and may be able to give you some advice and/or moral support.

Reactions: NaijaChick

Mungobean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Gone straight onto insulin due to the feed. My nutrition team have said I don’t need to change my feed or fluids at the moment (my I. Fluid has glucose in it too). Basically they are pumping me full of sugar every day - not surprising I’ve got problems. They’ve done no tests apart from the HC1A, which was apparently over 50 a year ago too, but they forgot to tell me!