Newly diagnosed, feeling grim

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Keeping a log and testing regularly (like wot I do) can make one over sensitive and nerdy. I do try to be relaxed about my meals and their effects, and I no longer stress if I hit the occasional bum note. Like yesterday, I ate a strudel with cream expecting a spike, but surprised that it was double the anticipated response. Found out that my vegetarian-centric daughter had not bought the one I usually use, because it is not specifically vegan, but one of her specials instead, The double cream turned out to be Elmlea which is plant based. So my thinking that strudel is a once in a while treat now has to be more specific it seems. But my levels rose 10 points, then fell 11 points in the following few hours. No added insulin, so I am definitely T2 with my own OGAD test.

The secret to success is to use the meter and food log as a guide and what you need to start thinking about is trying to see trends happening. Do not rely on spot readings, wait to see the patterns develop then make decisions.

Have you had that GP call yet?

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Thanks for the tip Oldvatr. I just had the GP call, he's sent a script for Metformin modified release to my pharmacy (I've had heartburn since starting). Plus a blood test for cholestrol, thyroid and kidney function. Diabetes nurse caling me In 10 days. She may have bloods by then. Thank goodness I found this safe haven. I think I need to do something relaxing now. I haven't fancied anything sweet, the strudel sounded delicious. B x

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the tip Oldvatr. I just had the GP call, he's sent a script for Metformin modified release to my pharmacy (I've had heartburn since starting). Plus a blood test for cholestrol, thyroid and kidney function. Diabetes nurse caling me In 10 days. She may have bloods by then. Thank goodness I found this safe haven. I think I need to do something relaxing now. I haven't fancied anything sweet, the strudel sounded delicious. B x

Hi Bex, do you have the means to test yourself for ketones? In your shoes, if my numbers were more than, 10-12, I'd want to keep an eye on whether ketones were around.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Hi Bex, do you have the means to test yourself for ketones? In your shoes, if my numbers were more than, 10-12, I'd want to keep an eye on whether ketones were around.
Thanks, I'm on hold trying to talk to GP again, my field of clear vision is reducing. Should I be worried? This morning while in bed I could see cleary to my feet. Now I can only see cleary to my knees. In fact Im finding looking at the screen uncomfortable.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Managed to talk to a diabetes nurse on a helpline. Not worrying about this (the vidion getting increasingly blurry) now. I will attempt to chill now (might be impossible in this heat). Thanks for all the words of experience and kindness.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Don't be a stranger @Bex72 .
Hi again,

I asked GP by email to refer me to Task Diabetic Services (receptionist said zi should email . He arranged an option for me to attend day assessment unit at hospital (I am not keen to rush back there). I am having blood tests at hospital in the morning for HbA1c, cholesterol and the good old thyroid.

I'll be talking to GP tomorrow again about a Task referral (I am told this is what happens in my region).

I will be purchasing a Ketones monitor as I'd rather have this to hand if needed.

My pharmacist has been incredibly kind and accessible.

Fingers crossed that the metformin helps.

Thanks for your support.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I will be purchasing a Ketones monitor as I'd rather have this to hand if needed.

Most chemists/pharmacies stock ketone testing urine strips. These would at least warn you whether you are running high and need to phone 111 again.

Good luck.

Reactions: Bex72

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Most chemists/pharmacies stock ketone testing urine strips. These would at least warn you whether you are running high and need to phone 111 again.

Good luck.
Thanks for your tip, tgat is a much better idea. Hubby has oredered some.