Newly diagnosed from Scotland

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was eating something I thought was ultra safe, and eating plenty of it.........I was wrong.
I'd love to know what that food was. When I began my low carb efforts I mistakenly thought that nuts, especially walnuts, were pretty much carb free. At the end of each meal if I still felt hungry I would fill up on handfuls of walnuts. By the time I realised my mistake, I had sickened myself of walnuts forever! I still have several packets that I can't bring myself either to eat or throw away.

Ian-J

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It was Ryvita Rye Cakes.......which i am eating as a substitute for biscuits.......and with a bit of cheese on them I was eating LOADS a day.
I now just have two per day.

My HbA1c results are in = 44

A happy chappy again!

Ian.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It was Ryvita Rye Cakes.......which i am eating as a substitute for biscuits.......and with a bit of cheese on them I was eating LOADS a day.
I now just have two per day.

My HbA1c results are in = 44

A happy chappy again!

Ian.
Those are about 66g carbs per 100g so yeah, that'd do it if you eat a lot. But Appears each cake is about 4.3g carbs so keeping to 2 shouldn't be so bad

Very incidious are carbs,which is why carb counting is important for some of us

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd love to know what that food was. When I began my low carb efforts I mistakenly thought that nuts, especially walnuts, were pretty much carb free. At the end of each meal if I still felt hungry I would fill up on handfuls of walnuts. By the time I realised my mistake, I had sickened myself of walnuts forever! I still have several packets that I can't bring myself either to eat or throw away.
Walnuts aren’t so bad carb wise, not the lowest but about 7g per 100g taking off fibre. But they are high packed in calories and fat etc. Also very easy to eat in significant amounts I found so I tend to avoid them now. Was the issues you seeing blood level related?

I know it’s often said to count carbs not calories but there is a balance I think, you can’t eat loads of cheese (say) and expect low carb to still give weight loss

Ian-J

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Was the issues you seeing blood level related?

If you mean my eyesight problem, well I will find out tomorrow at the hospital. Like I said, I have a history of blood clots before I ever got diabetes, and at my last eye screening over a year ago I was showing the very beginnings of Diabetic Retinopathy. In saying that, I am on the Nhs LENS medical trial which is trying to halt that happening through a new drug.

Out of interest, here's my full results from my blood test:-

HbA1c = 44 mmol/mol (6.2%)
Blood Pressure = 132/79 mmHg
Total Cholesterol = 3.5 mmol/L
HDL Cholesterol = 1.50 mmol/L
LDL Cholesterol = 1.7 mmol/L
Triglycerides = 0.6 mmol/L
Creatinine = 91.0 umol/L
eGFR = >60 ml/min

Ian.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you mean my eyesight problem, well I will find out tomorrow at the hospital. Like I said, I have a history of blood clots before I ever got diabetes, and at my last eye screening over a year ago I was showing the very beginnings of Diabetic Retinopathy. In saying that, I am on the Nhs LENS medical trial which is trying to halt that happening through a new drug.

Out of interest, here's my full results from my blood test:-

HbA1c = 44 mmol/mol (6.2%)
Blood Pressure = 132/79 mmHg
Total Cholesterol = 3.5 mmol/L
HDL Cholesterol = 1.50 mmol/L
LDL Cholesterol = 1.7 mmol/L
Triglycerides = 0.6 mmol/L
Creatinine = 91.0 umol/L
eGFR = >60 ml/min

Ian.
It was about the walnuts for the poster who said they were a problem, bad choice of words made it unclear, so apologies

but regardless, hope all goes well for your hospital appointment

Ian-J

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Diabetic nurse phoned yesterday to discuss results and says I am her model patient as most folks are stuck in the high 50's (HbA1c) and don't take it all seriously enough which frustrates the nurses etc. We had a good chat about that because I look at it from the point of view that lives and well being are at risk!

My BMI is 20 so at the bottom end of normal range. Liver, kidneys etc all functioning fine.

Now I just have to keep this up!

Ian.

brianj007uk

Hi, Newly diagnosed two weeks ago and still in the 'Oh C£$p' stage. From North coast of Scotland (Although, unfortunately not Scottish). Not heard anything since my diagnoses, but appreciate that COVID-19 is playing a part in that.
How did you deal with the diagnoses and the following few weeks ?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Newly diagnosed two weeks ago and still in the 'Oh C£$p' stage. From North coast of Scotland (Although, unfortunately not Scottish). Not heard anything since my diagnoses, but appreciate that COVID-19 is playing a part in that.
How did you deal with the diagnoses and the following few weeks ?

Hi @brianj007uk and welcome

You may be better off starting your own thread to get some more tailored support - and you’d likely get more input too. I can move your post to do that, if you’d like, or just feel free to start a thread yourself.