Newly diagnosed from Scotland

Ian-J

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi all,

Ian from Scotland here, Diabetic newbie. It's been 2 weeks since my bombshell diagnosis. Age = 51, Weight = 78kg.

Went to the doc about a urinating problem and whilst there I got my blood tested and the reading was 24. More blood tests following and it was confirmed I am Type 2 (and with an enlarged prostate).

So I am two weeks in, still waiting to attend my first Diabetic Clinic at the local surgery. All a bit of a shock to the system.....but there it is!

I think I've probably had Diabetes for a good few years, my feet (toes mostly) and fingers tingle most of the time, albeit it does go up and down a bit. It's usually non-existent when I awake in the morning and then comes and goes over the course of the day. Funny thing is I don't think I noticed the tingling before I was diagnosed, but of course now it's on my mind the whole time!

I have my own monitor and my levels range from 5 to 18 depending on when I take the reading. At the moment it's 2 or 3 times a day and I'm trying to gauge how the numbers are effected before/after meals etc.

I have a history of other medical issues, one of which is retinal vein occlusions which go back 10+ years. The eye clinic at the time never mentioned Diabetes (after a series of blood tests) so I guess I was negative back then. However, what with retinal problems being an issue with Diabetics I am of course quite scared for the future........but I am determined to control all this.

Phew!

Ian.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: SueJB and Liam1955

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am tagging @daisy1 who will be along soon with lots of information foe new members .. Its great you have s bs meter .. test just before you eat and then 2 hours after .. this way you can see what foods affect your blood sugar.
I have been lucky and kicked my T2 into remission by sticking to 20g of carbs a day and swapping all my low fat foods for high fat ones .. I did this for about a year, then realised that nothing was spiking my blood sugars ... I had been in remission for quite a while before I realised .. so its worth a try.

Reactions: Liam1955

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Yes, keeping the carbs down is the single most important thing you can do. Can you let us know whether you consider yourself overweight; also whether you have lost weight recently without trying. BTW ref enlarged prostate I had a very successful HoLep (Holmium Laser) operation 3 years ago. If you want to know more let me know and I can send you a personal message.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi @Ian-J and welcome to the forum :)

You might want to sign up for http://www.mydiabetesmyway.scot.nhs.uk/

It is a site for Scottish people with diabetes which stores all our test results so is quite useful. The site has a lot of dodgy advice about diet and progression in my opinion, but is handy for allowing you to see your results before your nurse does.

Ian-J

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi,

Thanks for all the quick replies!......I'm looking forward to participating in the forum long term. I'm also on a Dry Eyes forum so know the benefit full well of an active, supporting and caring online community.

I'm not overweight at all......I was as skinny as a rake growing up, and filled out a wee bit into my 30's......a very slight bloated stomach these days due to lack of exersize and eating badly.......which as gone done a bit over the last couple weeks as I cut out all biscuits and rubbish that I ate! Lost a couple pounds as a result which folks have noticed.

I'm on pills for the prostate, but stopped them after a week as I got the feeling they were making my tingling hands/feet worse......and lo & behold I found some other non-diabetic folks online who complained the same issue. Awaiting next visit to the doc to report.

I use an App on my Ipad to record my blood sugar levels, and will be printing them off for the doc. Good advice about the before/after meals.....will def give that a go.

Lots to learn & do......

Ian.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Welcome, Ian-J. Sounds like you have made a flying start already!

Reactions: Freema

Ian-J

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi all,

Visit to optician today, a few hemorrhage's on the retina in my right eye compared to the photo's taken 2 years ago. Optician says quite normal for a new diabetic but is sending the pics etc to my doc for when I go to my first diabetic clinic in a week or so.

I have had retinal occusions in both eyes many years ago, and I did ask if they were historical, but the photos from 2 years ago confirm they are new.......I got to have a look.

I had gone to the optician today to get my eyes checked due to my prescription changing over the past few weeks quite drastically in terms of presbyopia........wasn't expecting the new hemorrhage's!

Sheesh!

Ian.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Ian-J!

Where about in Scotland are you?

Once you start to get your BG control tighter and better managed, you'll more than likely find an improvement with any diabetic eye related issues that you're having. Although diabetic related eye damage cannot technically be reversed, it certainly can be stemmed - which is good news for you:)

Ian-J

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Stonehaven, 15mls south of Aberdeen.

The optician told me the small hemorrhage's can sometimes be re-absorbed by the body. I guess depends if the retina has been damaged as to whether the effects are long lasting.

Ian.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Ian-J - Hello and Welcome to the Forum :).

Ian-J

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Update:

Attended first visit to the Diabetes clinic today..............
Nurse took blood in order to do a Type 1 specific test. Will be 6 weeks for the results.
Put me on Metaformin..
My HbA1c from the last blood test a couple weeks ago was 100.

Note: I had given blood a couple years ago, she checked the HbA1c from it and it was fine.......conclusion is I have only had diabetes for at most 2 years. This ties in with the retina photos that were taken by my optician 2 years ago also.

Ian.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum.

You are in the right place. :)

Do have a read up about the role of carbohydrate in the control of diabetes. The Metformin helps in a limited way, but mostly for people that are overweight. Diet is the key, and the reduction of carbs is the most important element. Also sustainability. Our diets are for life, not just a few months. Be careful of potatoes, rice, bread, pasta, cereals and things containing flour.

Test before you eat and again 2 hours after first bite, and take note of the difference. Keep a food diary and record your levels alongside. If a food (carb) is causing spikes above 2mmol/l after 2 hours, either eliminate it or try again with a smaller portion.

I should add that if you have no weight to lose, then reducing carbs is likely to cause weight loss, so you would need to increase your calories accordingly from fats and/or protein.

Ian-J

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Update:

So, just had my first 3month HbA1c test........now considering I was at 100 when first diagnosed I am ****-a-hoop and my new level of 46.

Daily metaformin and huge dietry changes were what did it.

Whoop whoop!

Ian.

annie-p

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Ian-J and very well done on your results! I live in Aberdeenshire too - about 35 miles north of Aberdeen.