Newly diagnosed, need help

Ninja Froodie

Hi,

So I have had some blood tests, and was called in to doctors today to discuss. He said I have diabetes, that my bloods were 27.9 when they did the tests and my HbA1c was 148, which he said was highest he’s ever seen.he said he’s not sure wether I’m 1 or 2, So I’ve been referred to diabetes team and prescribed glizcade, given a monitor and some strips and needles and told I’ll hear from them once diabetes team have been in touch. So I’ve been using this monitor to test blood sugar levels and it’s constantly saying “HI”. I don’t feel unwell, just want to know if anyone has had this and it hasn’t gone away

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The medication you have been prescribed is to try to force your pancreas to release insulin - if it is not working then reducing the amount of carbohydrate you eat might be a good idea, simply to take the strain off your body. Hopefully you should then see some reduction in blood glucose.
All carbohydrate turns to simple sugars, which have to be taken out of your blood in some way - can you tell us what your normal diet is and maybe suggestions for changed to get you over the next few days can be made.
I will tag @daisy1 for the information sheet message for you - hopefully we can be of some help in these early days.

Ninja Froodie

He thanks for the reply, I’m not really sure about many things, as I have been diagnosed today and he didn’t go into much, he just said I need to check my blood sugar regularly. I don’t realky have a bad diet, I probably have more sugar Han I’m supposed to in the form of drinks, however food wise I do eat a balanced diet. Most of the food I eat is cooked from fresh, we don’t eat much processed foot, obviously again I do have a sweet tooth and like my chocolate and sweets, but haven’t really eaten them today and won’t be doing so until it’s under control. Sorry if I seem an idiot with it all, it’s just new to me and Don’t really understand how it all works

Thanks

Jake

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
Mine was 34 I think when I was diagnosed, no clue about the HbA1c, and like you I thought there was obviously nothing wrong with me until I was forced to stay at the hospital for a week while getting stable.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Ninja Froodie

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful and interesting. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With those readings I feel you should be testing for ketones. Did the GP give you any strips? With readings that high and ketones I was directed to A and E. It was type 1 at 54. My advice would be do not leave things if there are no improvements in the next 24 hours.

Reactions: Leeannea

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The meter reading Hi is a serious warning so do dramatically reduce any form of carbs. I would buy some Ketostix to check your ketones. What is your BMI? If you are slim then suspect T1. If overweight T2 is more likely. Don't worry about drinking tea, coffee or milk although milk does have some Lactose - a sugar. Get used to 85% dark chocolate which is much lower carb than the sickly sugary stuff. Sweets would be a No-No.

Ninja Froodie

Thank you all so much for your great advise, it’s all a bit overwhelming. I don’t have any ketosticks, but I do remember my doctor saying I had no ketones when I did my tests yesterday. I’ve taken numerous readings throughout the day, once it was 33, all the others were HI, including just now. I will see what they are like in the morning and think about ringing my gp if need be.

Ninja Froodie

So I’ve woke up this morning my bloods are 22. I know they are still way too high but I know they will come down once medication etc kicks in

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
I noticed that you are saying that you don't have too many sweets. That's good but you need to reduce all forms of carbohydrates as well. That includes the four slices of bread. Look at your food labels and you will see that things like bread, rice and spuds are not good things to eat with a bg in the 30s. Have a good long read of Daisy1's info sheet. As a guide, I'm personally only consuming 20g of carbs per meal. For some here, even that's considered high.

Hope it works out for you,
Glenn

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Also, get the T1 or T2 question sorted asap. Don't be fobbed off. The treatments and protocols are way different.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
The Glic will do a little bit but it's what goes in you guts that makes the biggest difference. You can't drug your way around an inappropriate diet. Your diet may have been good for a non diabetic but now the goalposts have moved.

Ninja Froodie

Thanks for the great advice! I had a look in the cupboards and fridge and soon realised everything I have is high in carbs, so to the supermarket to explore. I have managed today with only around 30g of carbs, which I usually have well in O the hundreds I don’t even wanna guess haha. Anyway, my bloods this evening are 19 which is great as they were 30 mid morning. I plan on having zero carbs tomorrow to see what kind of impact it has on my bloods, maybe once my bloods are stabilised I may have a small amount of carbs a day but for now I need to stay away

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is good news - a lot of people do manage to keep their BG levels normal or almost so by eating low carb - you might go a bit wobbly on none - and if you are taking the medication, more than a bit wobbly, so do be careful not to go too low.
I am 18 months from diagnosis and eat about 40gm of carbs maximum but I got my BG levels down to normal on 50 gm of carbs per day - I am now trying to lose body fat.

Ninja Froodie

Well, I’ve cut down my carbs, and still today my bloods are between 19-22 which is a great reduction, but still too high. I’m thinking maybe I’m type 1