Newly diagnosed, not sure what type and fed up already!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,
I hope I'm posting in the right bit. Just to fill in some background, I had been feeling thirsty and weeing a lot etc, went to the Drs, he did a BS test and it was 16 with ketones over 4. He went into a panic and I went off to the hospital, they kept me in overnight and on release the Diabetic Consultant said he was certain I was a type 1 because of my 'profile' which is 56 years old, half West Indian, well within BMI regs, a reasonable diet and a not very fast runner with a Mum who was diabetic (although who knows what type!).

The Diabetic nurse says type 2 in her opinion as 4 years ago I was in the pre diabetes range which even back then seemed to puzzle them as to why, again because I didn't fit their exact profile for a 'type 2', they seem to think all type 2's should be exactly the same.

I am waiting for my first clinic appointment which hopefully will point them in the right direction to determine the type. The Consultant did take blood samples before they started me on insulin which was;

4 units of novarapid for each meal and 8 units of Lantus taken in the evening. After a few days they took me off the lunchtime dose because of lows. I have been carb counting (not going low carb) and matching each of the novarapid with the carbs, estimating that 1 unit equates to roughly 10 to 15 carbs. My readings pre meals have been on average 4 to 6 and after meals on average 6 to 7. However, this is week 3 and despite keeping my meals virtually the same (veg, wholegrains, fish, beans etc, some fruit and text book diet all measured out) my readings keep dropping below 3, some are low 3's, one was in the 2s and now most readings are in the low 4s. I'm guessing this is down to the insulin so I have dropped the breakfast and evening down to between 2 and 4 dependent upon readings. How much lower can I drop them, down to 1 or 2??

I am getting in touch with my diabetes nurse tomorrow to discuss but I am puzzled. I have read about the honeymoon period too.

I have no question as such but am wondering whether anyone has any comments?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

I can't comment on your insulin dose as I know very little about it. It is almost certain it is your insulin causing your lows. Please be careful and test regularly. Under 4 is normally regarded as a hypo, although some people feel OK below that.

However, I can suggest you could be either a T1 (LADA) on a honeymoon period, or a T2 with too much medication. I assume the blood tests taken by the Consultant were the C-Peptide and GAD tests. These are the tests to determine if you are more likely to be LADA. Not all T2s are overweight by any means, and many newcomers here report they have lead healthy lives with a healthy diet.. Genetics can be a big factor as can other things.

I hope someone will be along to help with your insulin doses, and hopefully your nurse will be able to help tomorrow. :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome :)

It sounds like you have a good understanding of your current situation, and are just waiting for those results.

I agree with Bluetit, be careful of those lows. Hopefully when you call your nurse she will tell you to reduce your insulin, and keep testing.

Well done. It looks like you have hit the ground running! :D

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome :)

It sounds like you have a good understanding of your current situation, and are just waiting for those results.

I agree with Bluetit, be careful of those lows. Hopefully when you call your nurse she will tell you to reduce your insulin, and keep testing.

Well done. It looks like you have hit the ground running! :D

Thank you both for your prompt replies. I was lucky in that the Diabetic Consultant happened to be in the hospital and took extra blood for the C Peptide and GAD tests which he said had to be done before starting on any insulin. I am currently checking up to 12 plus times a day (before and after every meal and before bed), then before and after exercise and before and sometimes during driving. My poor fingers! Exercise is tricky but I am eating extra carbs (up to 15 grams) before and after but my readings still drop significantly then and at other odd times in between my pre and post meal readings. Such a lot to to learn.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Sounds like the consultant and yourself are doing all the right things. Probably T1 in the honeymoon period as you say; the tests will help confirm.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Maybe limit the exercise for a week or two while you learn how to control the insulin also try to eat the same number of grams of carbs and protein at each meal.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That could be a Type 1 honeymoon period causing the lows. You're doing the right thing testing lots.

If you keep going low after meals, maybe your insulin to carbs ration needs adjusting. Do you have a half unit pen?

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hi there,
I hope I'm posting in the right bit. Just to fill in some background, I had been feeling thirsty and weeing a lot etc, went to the Drs, he did a BS test and it was 16 with ketones over 4. He went into a panic and I went off to the hospital, they kept me in overnight and on release the Diabetic Consultant said he was certain I was a type 1 because of my 'profile' which is 56 years old, half West Indian, well within BMI regs, a reasonable diet and a not very fast runner with a Mum who was diabetic (although who knows what type!).

The Diabetic nurse says type 2 in her opinion as 4 years ago I was in the pre diabetes range which even back then seemed to puzzle them as to why, again because I didn't fit their exact profile for a 'type 2', they seem to think all type 2's should be exactly the same.

I am waiting for my first clinic appointment which hopefully will point them in the right direction to determine the type. The Consultant did take blood samples before they started me on insulin which was;

4 units of novarapid for each meal and 8 units of Lantus taken in the evening. After a few days they took me off the lunchtime dose because of lows. I have been carb counting (not going low carb) and matching each of the novarapid with the carbs, estimating that 1 unit equates to roughly 10 to 15 carbs. My readings pre meals have been on average 4 to 6 and after meals on average 6 to 7. However, this is week 3 and despite keeping my meals virtually the same (veg, wholegrains, fish, beans etc, some fruit and text book diet all measured out) my readings keep dropping below 3, some are low 3's, one was in the 2s and now most readings are in the low 4s. I'm guessing this is down to the insulin so I have dropped the breakfast and evening down to between 2 and 4 dependent upon readings. How much lower can I drop them, down to 1 or 2??

I am getting in touch with my diabetes nurse tomorrow to discuss but I am puzzled. I have read about the honeymoon period too.

I have no question as such but am wondering whether anyone has any comments?
Welcome to the forum @KLK. This is a little confusing as they class you as T2 yet you have ketones as high as 4! Fingers crossed with your diabetes nurse appointment. Let us know what happens.