Newly diagnosed started insulin today

A.n.g.i.e

Hi everyone, well I was recently diagnosed diabetic on 16th this month after blood test. I was sent home with gliclazide tbs and a monitor to do 4 times a day. My readings were ranging from 15.0 to the highest of 21.0, tabs didn't really help so we tried upping the dosage again not much help lowest reading I had was 11.2. So today I started on insulin a long acting and 3 shots of fast acting before my meals. Can anyone give me advise or helpful tips please its all overwhelming at the moment. Thanks

Reactions: Trevor vP

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @A.n.g.i.e and welcome to the forums.

Most of the UK forumites are asleep now so you may not get many answers for a while but as a New Zealand member I just want to wish you well and give you some moral support at what I'm sure is a very confusing time.

First things first, I'm going to move your thread to the "newly diagnosed" forum, as it's currently sitting in the insulin pump forum, which won't get as many views from T2s on insulin or T1s on injections.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hallo again @A.n.g.i.e , hopefully you'll get a few more views in this forum.

I just wanted to ask, do you have a diagnosis as to which type of diabetes you have yet? (Probably T1/T2 though there are other kinds).

If you are T1 then you are stuck with insulin, I'm afraid, and though there's a steep learning curve it's not the end of the world. If you are T2 then there are more options, in particular reducing the carbs in your diet may allow you to reduce or eventually come off the insulin.

Basically, T1s don't produce enough insulin (eventually none at all) so they need to inject to replace the insulin their body should be producing. T2s have a problem with using the insulin that their bodies produce (typically over produce at least at initial diagnosis) they are insulin resistant. So the issue for T2s is that their bodies don't tolerate carbs well, the issue for T1s is that they need to match their insulin to the carbs they eat.

It sounds like you have been put on a basal/bolus regime : basal is a 24 hour insulin that carries you through when you aren't eating (eg at night) and the short acting bolus acts to process the carbs in your meals (and sometimes as a correction dose to lower your blood sugar if it's too high).

Now your team will help you work out how much insulin you need : some people need 10 units a day, others need 100s, so there's no one size fits all there.

You don't need to get the hang of this all in one go: diabetes is a marathon not a sprint, hopefully your diabetic team will be keeping in very close contact with you.

Stopping the wall of text for now, lots of virtual hugs, will be able to give more targeted advice if you can tell us which type of diabetes you have (though your team may not know yet).

Lots of virtual hugs, feel free to have a browse the forum and join in and ask questions wherever you like.

Reactions: Fenn

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, what type have you been diagnosed with are you overweight or slim? Have you been advised to keep the carbs down in your diet; you should have been? After things settle you should be taught carb-counting which is where you adjust your Bolus insulin to suit the carbs in the meal.

A.n.g.i.e

I just wanted to ask, do you have a diagnosis as to which type of diabetes you have yet? (Probably T1/T2 though there are other kinds).

If you are T1 then you are stuck with insulin, I'm afraid, and though there's a steep learning curve it's not the end of the world. If you are T2 then there are more options, in particular reducing the carbs in your diet may allow you to reduce or eventually come off the insulin.

Basically, T1s don't produce enough insulin (eventually none at all) so they need to inject to replace the insulin their body should be producing. T2s have a problem with using the insulin that their bodies produce (typically over produce at least at initial diagnosis) they are insulin resistant. So the issue for T2s is that their bodies don't tolerate carbs well, the issue for T1s is that they need to match their insulin to the carbs they eat.

It sounds like you have been put on a basal/bolus regime : basal is a 24 hour insulin that carries you through when you aren't eating (eg at night) and the short acting bolus acts to process the carbs in your meals (and sometimes as a correction dose to lower your blood sugar if it's too high).

Now your team will help you work out how much insulin you need : some people need 10 units a day, others need 100s, so there's no one size fits all there.

You don't need to get the hang of this all in one go: diabetes is a marathon not a sprint, hopefully your diabetic team will be keeping in very close contact with you.

Stopping the wall of text for now, lots of virtual hugs, will be able to give more targeted advice if you can tell us which type of diabetes you have (though your team may not know yet).

Lots of virtual hugs, feel free to have a browse the forum and join in and ask questions wherever you like.

A.n.g.i.e

Hi I am t2 14st and no not been taught carb counting yet think main thing first is to get blood levels down into single figures first. I am currently on 14 of the long acting and 5 of the fast acting. Did well yesterday and got it down to 8 shame it won't stay there lol. Its all kind of mind blowing at the moment think I am still in shock. I will get used to it in time I am sure. I am glad places like this are available to chat with people in the same situation. Thank you look forward to learning from all your advice help and tips.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Thanks for letting us know your weight. The likelihood as a T2 is that you have insulin resistance. If you can keep the carbs in your diet down you should come into a good BMI/weight range. If so, you would probably need to reduce the insulin dose and it's even possible it could be stopped but see how you go. When you are ready the carb-counting will enable you to have more flexibility in what you eat and better control.

LadyMB

Hi everyone, well I was recently diagnosed diabetic on 16th this month after blood test. I was sent home with gliclazide tbs and a monitor to do 4 times a day. My readings were ranging from 15.0 to the highest of 21.0, tabs didn't really help so we tried upping the dosage again not much help lowest reading I had was 11.2. So today I started on insulin a long acting and 3 shots of fast acting before my meals. Can anyone give me advise or helpful tips please its all overwhelming at the moment. Thanks

LadyMB

Hi , I’m feeling much the same - it seems so much to understand and I’m overwhelmed by it . Fingers crossed you get some practical advice xxx

Reactions: Hakr22

62Karen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have foot in both types right now until covid allows more tests! I had diabetic ketoacidosis with sepsis and few other things in my blood stream. I came out of hospital just as covid went full steam, I was on metformin then gliclazide and then insulin. I’m currently only on insulin mix 50 and waiting to go back to consultant at some point. Important thing is just go with the flow, I read everything and found some YouTube videos useful too.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Hi , I’m feeling much the same - it seems so much to understand and I’m overwhelmed by it . Fingers crossed you get some practical advice xxx
It will b ok don’t worry. It’s just very new to you at the moment. X