Newly Diagnosed T1

Darion89

I found out about 6 weeks ago that I had type 1 diabetes after having a funny turn at home which resulted in an ambulance being called out and having a blood sugar reading of 32+. I've always been reasonably healthy, never having to visit doctors or hospital so it's come as a huge shock to the system to find myself in hospital for a couple of days when it was first diagnosed, then following on all the little things like prescriptions and booking appointments, all of which I have no idea and luckily have a good support network with family and partner etc who are more up to speed with these things.
Have just managed to start back at the gym this week as was advised to not bother while my sugars were so high as this would result in a feeling of tiredness and slugish, which I was experiencing before going in to hospital without realising why. It's also such a lifestyle change at home and work, and am happy that the more I read on here I'm not the only person who loses my temper with it all on a regular basis!
My sugars are now at a good level although I still get the shakes and dizzyness etc when I drop below 10, this is apparently normal while my body adjusts the levels coming down, and I'm just starting to learn about carb counting which is giving me something to focus on instead of worrying when my next hypo will be! While this is all new still ill be happy to help anyone else who's in the same boat, I'm the only person I know with T1 so would be good to get another person's perspective.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome on the forum! Sounds like you've made a very good start with getting a grip on your diabetes :)
Please ask about anything you want to know, and of course answer all the questions from other members where you can. I hope things will become your 'new normal' pretty soon.

Reactions: Juicyj and Darion89

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Darion89 . Welcome to the forum . You probably won't meet many T1's in everyday life, it's not like we have any extra features that give us away. Luckily you will find plenty of us here. Some newbies like yourself right through to people with 50yrs + under their belts. Ask any questions you want , there's a lot to learn, none of us are complete experts.
You sound a very positive guy. Being positive is a great attribute to have when living with diabetes.

Reactions: Juicyj and Darion89

Darion89

Thanks b
Hi @Darion89 . Welcome to the forum . You probably won't meet many T1's in everyday life, it's not like we have any extra features that give us away. Luckily you will find plenty of us here. Some newbies like yourself right through to people with 50yrs + under their belts. Ask any questions you want , there's a lot to learn, none of us are complete experts.
You sound a very positive guy. Being positive is a great attribute to have when living with diabetes.

Darion89

Thanks both for your responses, it's really good to be able to talk to other people like I said in my thread, and your right therower unfortunately

Reactions: Antje77

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi and welcome to the forum @Darion89 :)

There's a lot to take in from diagnosis, so take it easy on yourself, one day at a time, and learn as much as you can, knowledge is essential, 'think like a pancreas' is a good book to read, and feel free to shout with anything we can help with, lots of experience in here.

Reactions: Darion89

Darion89

Thanks both for your responses, it's really good to be able to talk to other people like I said in my thread, and your right therower unfortunately as far as I can tell there are no stand out features! And to be honest being positive isn't easy everyday but with a young family it's either be positive for them and myself or let all the stupid things annoy me and bring us all down

Darion89

Thanks juicyJ. Yeah I've learned not to blame myself too much, it wasn't easy to begin with and I definitely struggled, I've been inundated with books to read so I'm trying to pick the best ones but will for sure check that one out. Thanks again for the response!
Hi and welcome to the forum @Darion89[/US
[QUOTE="Juicyj, post: 1807364, member: 53162"]Hi and welcome to the forum [USER=477557]@Darion89
:)

There's a lot to take in from diagnosis, so take it easy on yourself, one day at a time, and learn as much as you can, knowledge is essential, 'think like a pancreas' is a good book to read, and feel free to shout with anything we can help with, lots of experience in here.

][/USER][/QUOTE]

Reactions: Juicyj

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
as far as I can tell there are no stand out features!
Well, there are of course the bulging pockets from meters, insulin pens and sweets, and the occasional outline of a sensor or insulin pump under clothes, especially in summer, but you're right, there definitely isn't a fool-proof way to recognize 'one of us'.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Darion89 theres a lot of reasoning that goes with diagnosis, so why me, what did I do wrong etc, all of this is normal, I even thought after my diagnosis that I could somehow revive my dying pancreas, that thought didn't last long, doh ! It certainly does provoke a lot of thinking that's why being super kind to yourself and remembering that it's not your fault is so important, having something to focus on such as your family is great as staying well for them is a huge incentive.

Darion89

Please tell me you don't blame yourself a little either, @Darion89 . How would you in any way be responsible for a confused immune-system?
At first I did to be honest because I just didnt know what was going on, the signs had been there for well over a year I just didn't take any notice of them. I know there was nothing I coupd've done it's just one of those things I guess and have to remind myself it could have been a lot worse.

Darion89

Hi @Darion89 theres a lot of reasoning that goes with diagnosis, so why me, what did I do wrong etc, all of this is normal, I even thought after my diagnosis that I could somehow revive my dying pancreas, that thought didn't last long, doh ! It certainly does provoke a lot of thinking that's why being super kind to yourself and remembering that it's not your fault is so important, having something to focus on such as your family is great as staying well for them is a huge incentive.

Darion89

You are right and that is what I keep thinking when I get fed up with injecting before eating when I just want to eat and the times I don't draw enough blood and it takes 4 or 5 attempts, I have to do it for myself and family.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
the times I don't draw enough blood and it takes 4 or 5 attempts
Don't squeeze your fingertip but start at the palm of your hand and squeeze up along your finger, rather like milking a goat.

boboblck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey, @Darion89.

I am in same boat as you although a couple of months ahead as diagnosed in Feb (aged 28!). Feel and experiencing what you have described above. It’s nice to have this forum to discuss this massive life change. It’s been a rough few months!
I too had symptoms for about a year and when finally ended up in A and E I remember being told I had type 1 and feeling so guilty-like I let my body down somehow. The only thing I could have done was go to the doctor sooner but it was inevitable anyway I suppose. Great you have a good support network and a family to motivate you. I’m going to read read read too.

Good luck and keep updating! :)

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Welcome to the club. It will take a while, but once everything settles down life will return to normal and D won't get in the way. There are 100's of thousands around the world as proof, that it's no big deal once everything settles down. At this point in time you should feel anxious, angry, frightened and sorry for yourself. After a few months you will discover D is no big deal and just a minor inconvenience. However you will have occasional down day, that is where this forum is great.

Darion89

Hey, @Darion89.

I am in same boat as you although a couple of months ahead as diagnosed in Feb (aged 28!). Feel and experiencing what you have described above. It’s nice to have this forum to discuss this massive life change. It’s been a rough few months!
I too had symptoms for about a year and when finally ended up in A and E I remember being told I had type 1 and feeling so guilty-like I let my body down somehow. The only thing I could have done was go to the doctor sooner but it was inevitable anyway I suppose. Great you have a good support network and a family to motivate you. I’m going to read read read too.

Good luck and keep updating! :)
Yeah it's something that I don't necessarily connect to older people but can't help think why me? I'm rarely ill so to be told that I've got got type 1 because I've fallen ill and my body has attack my pancreas is crazy to hear!

I fully understand how tough it's been for you, I was told now important the first stages of this was, how that when I left hospital I would be in constant contact with someone, or at the doctor's etc, unfortunately it didn't happen and I was left to my own devices until 2 weeks ago, things are much better now in that aspect I've visited my diabetic nurse twice and a dietician who has helped understand about what I'm eating affects me.
One of my major problems is I'm always hungry, I've had to quit smoking as a result of all this so don't know if it's the no smoking or diabetes, I wondered if it happened to everyone, in-between meals especially?
How have you found eating out, I've only done it once but in a cafe where I know all the staff and can sit at the table and inject without too much bother, it is however still something I'm not comfortable with.

Thanks for the response, it's good to hear someone my age range has experienced the same things as me!

Darion89

Welcome to the club. It will take a while, but once everything settles down life will return to normal and D won't get in the way. There are 100's of thousands around the world as proof, that it's no big deal once everything settles down. At this point in time you should feel anxious, angry, frightened and sorry for yourself. After a few months you will discover D is no big deal and just a minor inconvenience. However you will have occasional down day, that is where this forum is great.
Thanks for the response, that's what I'm hoping to achieve, a sense of normality, because at the moment even though I'm getting more used to it all it is still very strange and hard to adjust to.

I guess speaking to more people on this forum will help with that.

And yes it's good to finally have a place to go where people are in the same situation and have been where I am in my diabetes so can advise what's best.