Newly diagnosed T2

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In my opinion nutrients and carbs are two different things. There are essential nutrients but there is no such thing as an essential carb.
Yes, but the trouble with carbs is that they get in everywhere. How to benefit from the nutrients without consuming the carbs?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Yes, but the trouble with carbs is that they get in everywhere. How to benefit from the nutrients without consuming the carbs?

I do not know the carb value of moss but would be very surprised if it were high.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do not know the carb value of moss but would be very surprised if it were high.
Me too, but a diet that includes moss cannot strictly be considered zero carb. You have been warned! And if anyone is really eating only fish, fowl, flesh and fats are you not concerned about the threat of scurvy?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Me too, but a diet that includes moss cannot strictly be considered zero carb. You have been warned! And if anyone is really eating only fish, fowl, flesh and fats are you not concerned about the threat of scurvy?

My own level of carbs rests at about 30g per day. I am choosy about which carbs I eat and as I eat green leafy veg then scurvy is no risk. VitC is not exclusively confined to citrus fruit. If I choose to lower my carb level further then I would consider supplements but as yet I am unconcerned.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My own level of carbs rests at about 30g per day. I am choosy about which carbs I eat and as I eat green leafy veg then scurvy is no risk. VitC is not exclusively confined to citrus fruit. If I choose to lower my carb level further then I would consider supplements but as yet I am unconcerned.
IMO 30g daily is a lot higher than zero. I am labouring this point, but I do feel it is misleading to talk about zero carbs when one actually means low carbs. Especially for people new to all this who might either be frightened away by the idea of zero carbs or embrace with enthusiasm a regime far stricter than they need.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
IMO 30g daily is a lot higher than zero. I am labouring this point, but I do feel it is misleading to talk about zero carbs when one actually means low carbs. Especially for people new to all this who might either be frightened away by the idea of zero carbs or embrace with enthusiasm a regime far stricter than they need.

Although I have not said I eat zero carbs I am of the opinion that people who aim for zero carbs do so after deliberating carefully about their choices. In my opinion it would be foolish to restrict anyones choices be they newly diagnosed or not. As the number of people who aim for zero carb is low then it stands to reason that there are far more people giving advice to the newly dx lower their carb intake (I myself, when asked, have advised people that <130g is considered lower carb but that they should, if they choose to lower that number, do it gradually until they are comfortable with their bg levels. This seems to be advice that I see repeated.

Reactions: Sue192

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I mean zero carbs. Or very close to it. No need to be frightened by the idea. Carbs are not essential to the human diet.

Lauriem1967

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Great job getting your blood sugar readings down to 17, the more you lower the carbs the faster you’ll see results.

Try counting your carbs, LCHF recommends staying under 30 carbs per day, dr.Eric Westman suggests 20 carbs per day.

But please research the plan on YouTube. There are some really good documentaries and ted talks about the success of the LCHF plan.

You should see a drastic reduction in your blood sugar.

Dr. Eric Westman says You don’t need carbs to survive, your liver will make sugar for you if you need it.

Metformin or Glucophage are meds that stop your liver from making sugar.

Insulin helps your body use the sugar properly in the cells.

Good luck, let us know what happens if you try the LCHF plan.

Laurie