Type 1 Newly diagnosed taking Fiasp

Maz_1

I started taking Fiasp w/ a 24hr about 3-4 weeks ago - this is my first go on the basal bolus regime. The first few days I followed what the nurse said in regards to trying 1 unit/ 20g carbs (as I might be in honeymoon period). This wasn't working at all so I decided to try 1 unit/15g. Still I was sooo high after eating foods that had very low carbs in it eg. Plain salmon fillet w/ steamed broccoli, asparagus, courgette. I spiked to about 12/13 with 1 unit of insulin for this. I tried lowering to 1 unit/10g and still this wasn't enough! I'm young slim and healthy (apart from the chronic illness lol).

Question is, does it take some time for the body to get used to using this form of insulin or could I potentially be insulin resistant? Or could it even be the type of rapid acting insulin just not taking well? Should I try something different like novorapid? Or wait it out for a bit and see how it goes? Getting a bit worried as I've gained 4kg in 3 weeks on a pretty low carb diet :/

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I'm using Fiasp and am new to this malarkey also. The spikes after a meal are normal and something my diabetic nurse encourages, as it's what your BG is 4 hours after using the Fiasp, whether they returned to where they started, which is important to see if you injected the correct amount. Good luck on your journey.

Reactions: Kim Possible

Maz_1

@helensaramay
- I think my basal is pretty on point as it's steady throughout the night.
- When I say spike, I mean rise and stay there.
- unsure about the diet, I just wanted to try to reduce my insulin intake but I was unaware protein was a factor...
- yes I lost some weight so this would make sense..

I think I'm just panicking and need to take my time with all of this. Thanks for your help! :)

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I started taking Fiasp w/ a 24hr about 3-4 weeks ago - this is my first go on the basal bolus regime. The first few days I followed what the nurse said in regards to trying 1 unit/ 20g carbs (as I might be in honeymoon period). This wasn't working at all so I decided to try 1 unit/15g. Still I was sooo high after eating foods that had very low carbs in it eg. Plain salmon fillet w/ steamed broccoli, asparagus, courgette. I spiked to about 12/13 with 1 unit of insulin for this. I tried lowering to 1 unit/10g and still this wasn't enough! I'm young slim and healthy (apart from the chronic illness lol).

Question is, does it take some time for the body to get used to using this form of insulin or could I potentially be insulin resistant? Or could it even be the type of rapid acting insulin just not taking well? Should I try something different like novorapid? Or wait it out for a bit and see how it goes? Getting a bit worried as I've gained 4kg in 3 weeks on a pretty low carb diet :/
Hiya, I can’t comment on Fiasp insulin as I am on Humalog... however I can sympathise with the weight gain.... I lost a stone in about 3 weeks after being diagnosed as diabetic and when I went on insulin I put that back on and I am currently about 4 pounds heavier than I was in the beginning. The weight gain has slowed down a lot now so hopefully the same will happy for you :).