1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Newly diagnosed type 2

Discussion in 'Fasting' started by Sammie1*, May 18, 2017.

1. Sammie1*

Sammie1* Type 2 · Newbie

What is the best way to go about fasting?

• Like Like x 1
  2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

As in how to do it or how to ease yourself in?
    First cut as many carbs from your diet as possible and maybe try skipping one meal a day. I found breakfast the easiest to skip.
    If you get used to life with very few carbs and enough fats to keep you satiated then fasting becomes a lot easier.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. betty_boo

betty_boo Type 2 · Newbie

I don't understand what is fasting and why do it?

4. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Fasting is.. not eating.
    By not eating we give our bodies (liver and pancreas especially) a break from processing the food that we load into them all day long.
    If you eat breakfast lunch and dinner along with in between snacks then your body is perpetually producing insulin to deal with your intake. If you have Type 2 and therefore insulin resistance this is a bad thing (I am simplifying here).
    By not eating we allow some of the sugar circulating in our blood stream to be used as energy without pouring more in. Eventually we will use most of the sugar and turn to burning fat which is why we loose weight on a Low Carb diet.
    Fasting when combined with a low carb high fat diet is a strong aid to reducing blood sugar levels, loosing weight and controlling Type 2.

5. kokhongw

kokhongw I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Graphs from (http://www.ejinme.com/article/S0953-6205(09)00098-3/fulltext)

For the years before diagnosis and up to 10 years AFTER diagnosis, T2D is a condition of both increased, excessive Insulin response AND increasing glucose levels, not insulin deficiency. The focus of mainstream medical and low fat dietary intervention is aimed at reducing glucose levels only. Not normalizing both insulin AND glucose levels. Because the treatment target levels of glucose will almost always remains higher than normal non-diabetic range for fear of hypoglycemic events.

Fasting is an effective way to safely reduce BOTH insulin and glucose level to a NORMAL healthier level...
    [​IMG]
    http://roguehealthandfitness.com/sweet-spot-intermittent-fasting/

A good starting point to explore the topic of fasting furhter is to visit Dr Jason Fung's blog who has remarkable clinical experience with his fasting protocols.
    https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/

• Like Like x 1
    #5 kokhongw, Jun 10, 2017 at 11:26 PM
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  6. Art Of Flowers

Art Of Flowers I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

7. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Reading a few blogs, lot of short fasts (16hr to 48hr) seem to have more benefit then one long fast.

Maybe we should for 40 days a year not eat while the sun is out.........

8. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

As you are newly diagnosed, I would urge you not to fast until you have lowered your blood glucose levels to normal and kept them there for a while.
    Just the reduction in blood glucose from whatever high it has reached can be a bit of a shock - I got lost in my own bedroom trying to walk from the door to the bed in the dark. It is called a false hypo as BG levels are usually not all that low, it is just your brain panicking at the sudden loss of the sugary bath it had been enjoying.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook