Newly Diagnosed Type 2

des991

A1C of 55 is in the diabetic range but not crazy high. From what I have read, things like nerve damage as a byproduct of diabetes happen after years of uncontrolled diabetes. 55 which higher than non-diabetic range is probably not enough to have caused nerve damage. I would also not necessarily assume that ED is a result of your diabetes, if you are 55 it is likely that you probably have not been diabetic for very long. That testosterone thing sounds related and hopefully treatment for that improves your situation.

So would it be very uncommon for a thin/in shape person to be T2 and not T1?
If there is any possibility should the doctor not have me asap in there starting on insulin?

While a lot of T2s tend to be overweight at the time of the diagnosis, it is not particularly unheard of for fit and in shape people to be T2. The stat I believe read was 15-20% of T2s at diagnosis were normal or underweight. For example Patrick Peterson the Arizona Cardinals player who is in great shape was diagnosed with T2 a couple of years ago. Doctors will do additional tests esp in younger people to get more confidence on whether it is T1 or T2. If you have access to your test results, do you see a C-Peptide test on it? Often docs will do that to make sure you are not T1 (mine did). If not you should request that, your doctor should have done some additional tests to rule out T1 considering your age and BMI.

In the mean time don't stress too much, odds are you are probably not T1 as T1s have extremely high sugar levels without insulin treatment (although as someone mentioned earlier it could be honeymoon period). In the meantime, get yourself a glucose meter and some test strips. Even if you have to pay for it out of pocket while you get your insurance sorted out, it is worth the $50-$60 investment. There are some cheap ones available- ReliOn sold by Walmart is one of the cheapest ones if you are in the US and measure your sugar levels semi regularly and ensure they are not too out of wack.

The meter will also help you understand your questions regarding which foods don't sit well with you. Also you may be able to avoid taking Metformin or get off of it. My numbers upon diagnosis were similar to your 7.5-7.6% A1c which would translate to 59-60 in the units you are using, however within a couple of weeks of my diagnosis with diet changes (before my prescription for metformin went through my pharmacy) my meter showed my blood glucose in the normal range consistently and my doc suggested not to start the medication. Sounds like you are on the right path with your diet changes but again, get the meter and measure to see what does and doesn't work for you and how much different things are impacting you.

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks Jo - I do think its pretty scary that the GP has sent me through public waiting list of 6-9 months, when it could be possible I could be dead in that time period if my liver etc are in bad way? im going to ring up tomorrow and just offer to pay the private price to see endocrinologist. there was nothing even said to me about liver scan - I was hoping any problems with that came up in original bloods from GP.
Depends on what they test for. They're not going to check everything when they're "just" testing your HbA1c. Liver issues aren't going to be looked at. What you want are liver function, kidney function, cholesterol, HbA1c, C-peptide and GAD tests. Those last two just in case you're a T1 rather than a T2. (And they don't do ém often because of the expense) An ultrasound is usually done if the bloodwork indicates a liver issue. Remember, a GP isn't an expert on diabetes, so a lot of docs assume if you get diabetes later in life, you're a T2 per definition. But T1 can happen at any age. Likewise, you don't have to be overweight to be a T2. So I do think since you're a-typical, it's worth it to have additional testing done, and soon. Also, get your own glucose meter. You want to know where you're at, and whether changes in diet affect your bloodsugars enough. (If they don't, T1 is more likely). As for ED and the way you were treated for it.... I've been told all my life by various doctors and gyno's, my problems in the sack were due to youth trauma, so I went to physical and mental therapy, even hypnotherapy, was offered muscle relaxants which gave me migraines (counter productive, that) and guess what? In my late 30's I find out I just have small reproductive organs. And a cyst to go with it, which makes me more male, hormonally, than female. (Want some of my testosterone? I've got plenty!). But hey, no wonder it hurts! It literally is a physical issue that isn't going to be helped with any amount of therapy and relaxation methods, and it most certainly is not between my ears. And there I was, always feeling like I was a faillure and a dissapointment to my partners, for decades... Assumptions and generalisations are a thing. It happens all the time. So you're not alone there. I just hope dealing with your bloodsugars will help in that regard.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
The grip strength measurer? just by holding it widens arteries or the strength training does.
Strength training is said to have the opposite effect, but you would be balancing this with your football (cardio) which widens. The hand grips lower blood pressure by widening the arteries. Something like squeeze for 2 mins, relax for 2 mins x 3. Here are some links:

https://resperate.health/hypertension/top-secret-weapon-destroys-high-blood-pressure/
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...n-squeezing-ball-help-cut-blood-pressure.html