Newly diagnosed

kellie lees

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My husbands been newly diagnosed he had one night in hospital and then was sent home. We've been told he won't see a consultant until two months time? Is this normal to wait this long?

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My husbands been newly diagnosed he had one night in hospital and then was sent home. We've been told he won't see a consultant until two months time? Is this normal to wait this long?

Hi Kellie, I was diagnosed in October and didn't see a consultant until a few weeks ago for the first time. Does your husband have any appointments coming up with a DSN before the consultant?

Reactions: Prem51

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. He should at least be seeing the nurse before the consultant unless he's been given a lot of advice so far. Is he on insulin? Is it one or two types? Has he been advised to keep the carbs down? Has he been warned about hypos and telling the DVLA if he is on insulin; also testing whilst driving? Let us know more and we can help further

kellie lees

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He has an appointment with the dietician and I think then he will book with the DSN!! We've seen the GP but the GP didn't give us any advice on how to manage it. We are struggling with hypos and levels and yet we aren't seeing a consultant doctor until march, is it ok to wait this long?

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have contact details for the clinic his DSN works from? I had a few appointments in the weeks after diagnosis and being discharged with my DSN and a dietitian but if I had a question or thought something needed adjusting I was able to get in touch and they would come back to me with answers to my questions.

I had to reduce my long acting insulin a couple of times this way a month or so afterwards when I was advised I was moving into the honeymoon phase.

I found the consultant appointment came about the right time really as I had started to get my head around things and found a routine so I was able to ask questions that I probably wouldn't have thought of just after diagnosis.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @kellie lees Welcome to the forum.

As long as he is seeing his DSN for a follow up then is is fine to wait to see his consultant. His main contact and support is through the DSN, they will guide him on insulin and doses and keep an eye on him.

kellie lees

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I suppose it makes sense that by the time we see the consultant we will know a little more and be able to have identified patterns and stuff! I'm just concerned we can't get things stabilised and then we will go to see a consultant and they'll change everything!!

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Im 17 and been diagnosed 5 months. Im still in paediatric so this may be why. I spent a week in hospital and when i came out was seen weekly by my DSN and consultant for 6 weeks. It was then pushed back to 2 weeks, 3 weeks, 1 month and now every 2 months.

kellie lees

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's good you've been seen so much, my husbands 30 so maybe they think he can get on with it but it's just knowing what's right and making the right adjustments!!!

Reactions: Amy993

Northernboy72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi kellie lees, my daughter is T1 diabetic for a year now and has adapted to the new challenge . The injections do not bother her and she eats pretty much what she wants with in reason . We have a 3 month appointments at the local hospital but pretty much are self taught on the diet side . You will be fine Xx

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @ kellie lees

Yes, two months for a consultant is actually quite quick; I think it was more than that when I saw my first one. In the interim, make full use of your DSN who is there to help guide you and answer any questions. She will also help you with any treatments required.

In the meantime, keep a diary as to what your husband eats and how he feels afterwards. Has he been given a meter? If so, then keep these results in the diary too.
If you can build up a regular diary, you will soon see if there is a pattern, which is the first stage in treating the condition.