Newly Diagnosed

*sparky*

Hi Everyone,
I am 22 and was diagnosed with Type 1 a month ago. Have found it really overwhelming with all the information and read lots of horror stories on the internet so thought it was time I started reading some sensible advice! Am on Basul Bolus with long acting lantus and fast acting novo rapid- I hope this is all making sense! Not really sure what I'm meant to be doing, am eating normally just lots of carbs because I had lost a lot of weight? Have found Christmas pretty hard as been avoiding eating chocolate and sweets as my blood sugars are still pretty high. Phew anyway sorry if this is boring, wasn't really sure what to say!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi sparky.
Welcome to the forum. Have a good look around especially the T1 forum area.

Carbohydrates are the things that convert directly to glucose, so you may have a bit of difficulty if you eat lots of carbs in keeping your Bg levels down ? Obviously as a T1 you can cover the carbs with Insulin. You really need to decide which is a priority....reduced Bg levels or weight gain via carbs and Insulin.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya and a warm welcome,
im too a type one on the same insulins as you,
have a good look around the forum and ask anything you want :D

*sparky*

Thank you for making me feel so welcome, and for all the advice. I am a bit confused because I was told not to worry about eating too many carbs at the moment, but now I'm worried about putting on weight- will the insulin make me fat? Guess I will just keep showing my diary to the nurses and see what they say!

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya sparky, insulin doesnt make u fat,
when i was first diagnosed i was on novomix and ate carbs at every meal in a highish dose, my bloods were high and low constantly so begged to go basal bolus, i havent looked back since, lowered my carbs and bloods and insulin :D
if we can be of any more help let us know
amanda