Lily 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thank you, I have purchased a water bottle and will be drinking 3 a day it holds a litre, I started the metformin yesterday dinner and have been ok but I’ve only took 1 so far so to early to tell, but with just the one yesterday my morning bg was 7 not 9-10 and my post meal was 5.5 not in the 7’s. can you still put this into remission if you use medication to begin with? Thank you again for all the advice, my nurse did recommend this site to.

MoB1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Starting medication does not mean that you will always need it. Many use diet alone to successfully control their diabetes into remission but it's not always easy starting a restrictive diet regime when you've been used to eating anything you like. That's why doctors more often than not prescribe Metformin to new T2 patients to help them as they make the necessary dietary and lifestyle changes.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was put onto Metformin and a statin - oh was I in a bad way, and on just one tablet of each.
When I stopped taking them I could go out of the house and do things rather than staying close to the bathroom or washing clothes and bedding, or the floor. I find it really easy to do without tablets - and to stick to the diet.
I only have to think 'Metformin' and all temptation to stray from low carb is gone in an instant.

Lily 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Sorry to hear that about the tablets, I really wanted to do diet control but she said I need to protect my organs while I loose weight and lower my blood sugar.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
@Lily 2 I take 1g of slow release metformin a day. So far no ill effects from it since Oct 2015. I know others have problems but you may be one of the lucky ones. Metformin type drugs moderate the release of stored glucose from your liver. Remember you still have to watch your carb intake as this drug cannot compensate for what you decide to eat. If you are overweight, losing it gradually was one of the most important things that helped me. Think of it as if you lose 10% of your body weight what little good insulin you have left goes further.
Glenn

Reactions: MoB1953