Newly diagnosed!!

Theresa1999

In December of 2019 when covid-19 was only starting to be a problem. I was very ill for 2 weeks, the normal things: flu like symptoms, could breath or couldn’t taste or smell. But was able to get over it. And few days past I was sick so so so sick. I quit my job because I was getting sick everyday for two or three months but didn’t have the money to go the doctor. In may I was sent to the doctor I was told I had a stomach ulcer, few months later I started to get worse I could easily drink 6 litres of water a day, and peeing every 20-30 minutes. I honestly thought I was just dehydrated. Then I got a new job in Oct. Few days past was starting to feel so ill. Took the day off and I literally passed out for the whole day. My boyfriend came home and I remember drinking a Capri sun and the heartburn was unreal, couldn’t breath with it. Kept passing out so rang and ambulance. Was in a coma for a few hours. I was diagnosed with type one diabetes, DKA, celiac disease and lactose intolerance.

Currently finding it so hard I’ve a new job and my bloods are all over the place. My % was 114 when I was first diagnosed with type one diabetes and now it’s at 84%. Currently my eating has gotten very bad in 8 hours of a work day I get 20-30 minutes lunch depending on how busy lunch is. all the running around would send me into hypo in a second. Looking for advice thank you!!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Welcome to the forums and
I was diagnosed with type one diabetes, DKA, celiac disease and lactose intolerance.
I'm really sorry that you appear to have been landed with a heavy dose of autoimmune conditions, though luckily the DKA is something that normally only happens at first diagnosis. (It's caused by insufficient insulin and high blood sugar, so as long as you have access to insulin and test your bg, you should be able to avoid it.). It sounds like you are going to have to live with the rest, unfortunately, but T1 does genuinely get easier to manage with experience and the technology for managing it is improving all the time.

I guess the first question is where are you located (the country makes a difference as to what sort of care you can expect the medical professionals to give you) and what are your team doing to help you? Also, are your employers making any allowances for your need to test etc? And when you say you are eating badly, is that in the context of lactose, gluten or not being able to match your insulin to your carbs?

Sending you lots of virtual hugs. I hope things get better for you as soon as possible.

Reactions: Theresa1999

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Theresa1999 Welcome to the forum.

It's difficult getting the balance right when you're first diagnosed, and then to add a new job into the mix it's no wonder you're having a hard time.

What type of work are you doing and as Ellie has said, what allowances are your employers giving you to allow you to manage your condition in the workplace ? Also how are you monitoring your glucose levels ? So can you use the libre 2 ?

The easiest suggestion I have without knowing more is to stick to the same meals each day to give you a chance to see what insulin doses are working, keep a track too so you can see what works and what doesn't, I have to admit that although we can bolus for any carbs we eat, when I am having a rough ride I try to minimise my carbs until I can strike a balance with my control, my focus is to keep things stable so to avoid the lows which can cause a yo yo effect on my glucose levels, but of course avoid the highs too so I don't feel rubbish, so I just stick to protein on days like this, then carb out at night when at home and able to monitor more.

Also mentally try to go easy on yourself, it's a lot to deal with so don't beat yourself up if things aren't going right, your trying to manage a faulty onboard computer system, don't feel guilt with this, it's a complex condition so try to be kind to yourself.

Reactions: Theresa1999

Theresa1999

Welcome to the forums and

I'm really sorry that you appear to have been landed with a heavy dose of autoimmune conditions, though luckily the DKA is something that normally only happens at first diagnosis. (It's caused by insufficient insulin and high blood sugar, so as long as you have access to insulin and test your bg, you should be able to avoid it.). It sounds like you are going to have to live with the rest, unfortunately, but T1 does genuinely get easier to manage with experience and the technology for managing it is improving all the time.

I guess the first question is where are you located (the country makes a difference as to what sort of care you can expect the medical professionals to give you) and what are your team doing to help you? Also, are your employers making any allowances for your need to test etc? And when you say you are eating badly, is that in the context of lactose, gluten or not being able to match your insulin to your carbs?

Sending you lots of virtual hugs. I hope things get better for you as soon as possible.

I’m currently living in Ireland and my boss is unbelievable she’s amazing. Can I can check my bloods whenever I need to and sit down if I’m low she’s amazing. It’s just last year because I was so ill and had a bad time with food because it made me sick all the time and I didn’t know I was allergic to most things. So now I eat small portions but more of them. But since I’ve gotten my new job. I’m finding it had to find the time to eat. I don’t get hungry ( no stomach never rumbles or never any hunger pains) I just feel like I’ll get sick and that’s how I know I’m hungry. I can’t match my insulin to my carbs either and my diabetic team is zero help. I’ve felt like **** for a whole year before I knew about T1 and I got no help from my doctors, nothing at all. Not even a blood test.

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, oh no you have such a lot on your plate. Is there any way you can ask for a dietician to help? They work alongside the diabetic teams in hospital and I found them to be so helpful in the early days. He/she can help work out your carb ratios (if you are eligible for a Libre you can share your readings with them) and discuss meals and food issues. I’m egg and dairy intolerant and pretty slim so found food/gaining weight really tricky for a long time and I think it can take a good few months to get confident with eating/dosing and learning the timings of when to take insulin. Maybe make a food planner and get a notebook to jot down how you react to certain foods/carbs.
It must all seem so overwhelming for you just now, I’m over a year into this and still have days where I struggle but it does get easier and it may take time but you’ll get there xx