Newly diagnosed

Annieshar

I found out a week ago I have type 2 diabetes. I wasn't told what my levels were until I asked the receptionist at the surgery today. She told me it was 51.
I really don't know what this means. I'm confused about what my next steps should be and feel that I've been left to work out a diet for myself. I see confusing and contradictory advice and just don't know where to start. Can anyone help?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found out a week ago I have type 2 diabetes. I wasn't told what my levels were until I asked the receptionist at the surgery today. She told me it was 51.
I really don't know what this means. I'm confused about what my next steps should be and feel that I've been left to work out a diet for myself. I see confusing and contradictory advice and just don't know where to start. Can anyone help?
If your Hba1c is 51 then you are only just into diabetes territory.
I would expect that a few swaps and reductions in high carb foods would soon reduce your levels.
We can cope with protein and fat just fine, so don't be concerned about lowering them - you might find a blood glucose tester will help to show you how much and of what you should be eating, but don't be misled by advice to eat brown carbs rather than white ones - they are still carbs.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
The 51 is your HbA1C which is from a blood test. It shows how much glucose (sugar) was in your blood averaged over the last 3 months.
Pre-diabetes starts at an HbA1C of 42, Type 2 Diabetes is when the HbA1C is 48 or above, so your are not far away from the minimum - meaning that just cutting down on sugar and refined flour, tropical fruit, pasta, rice may be all that you need to do.

Mine was 53 when diagnosed and I got it back in the normal range very quickly without medication or calorie counting or any additional exercise. Jut by eating what was actually good for my body rather than what the NHS and government says is good for the general population. We Type 2 diabetics are very sensitive to carbohydrates in our food (even whole grains turn into sugars when we eat them) and natural sugars are no better than added sugar.
A Low Carb way of eating, cutting the carbs instead of cutting calories, should do the trick for you. It has even for ones whose starting HbA1C was twice as high as yours!

Annieshar

The 51 is your HbA1C which is from a blood test. It shows how much glucose (sugar) was in your blood averaged over the last 3 months.
Pre-diabetes starts at an HbA1C of 42, Type 2 Diabetes is when the HbA1C is 48 or above, so your are not far away from the minimum - meaning that just cutting down on sugar and refined flour, tropical fruit, pasta, rice may be all that you need to do.

Mine was 53 when diagnosed and I got it back in the normal range very quickly without medication or calorie counting or any additional exercise. Jut by eating what was actually good for my body rather than what the NHS and government says is good for the general population. We Type 2 diabetics are very sensitive to carbohydrates in our food (even whole grains turn into sugars when we eat them) and natural sugars are no better than added sugar.
A Low Carb way of eating, cutting the carbs instead of cutting calories, should do the trick for you. It has even for ones whose starting HbA1C was twice as high as yours!

Thank you for your reply. I've went out and bought whole grain bread, pasta etc and increased my fruit intake but this sounds like the wrong approach? Cutting out the carbs is the key?

Annieshar

If your Hba1c is 51 then you are only just into diabetes territory.
I would expect that a few swaps and reductions in high carb foods would soon reduce your levels.
We can cope with protein and fat just fine, so don't be concerned about lowering them - you might find a blood glucose tester will help to show you how much and of what you should be eating, but don't be misled by advice to eat brown carbs rather than white ones - they are still carbs.

Annieshar

Thank you. I think I've fallen into the brown carb mistake by thinking I could simply swap to whole grain. I'd be best to just cut out the carbs?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

KidDougi

Thank you for your reply. I've went out and bought whole grain bread, pasta etc and increased my fruit intake but this sounds like the wrong approach? Cutting out the carbs is the key?

My feeling is to cut out all the processes carbs, ie processed sugar, but simply reduce all the natural ones. The reason is that the natural one come with fibre which makes them slow releasing.
Also I have allowed my fat intake to increase. Again if they come from the healthier sources you will be okay. Just be a little more cautious as they tend to have a greater calorie value. And increase you protein as much as you can; beans are good for this if you don’t want too much meat.

Annieshar

My feeling is to cut out all the processes carbs, ie processed sugar, but simply reduce all the natural ones. The reason is that the natural one come with fibre which makes them slow releasing.
Also I have allowed my fat intake to increase. Again if they come from the healthier sources you will be okay. Just be a little more cautious as they tend to have a greater calorie value. And increase you protein as much as you can; beans are good for this if you don’t want too much meat.

Annieshar

Thank you. I took the advice of switching to wholegrain, increasing fruit/veg intake and going for low fat. I clearly need to look at this again.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you. I took the advice of switching to wholegrain, increasing fruit/veg intake and going for low fat. I clearly need to look at this again.
Yes; there is a lot of different information out there, but wholegrain and fruit are not good. The basic gist is that T2 or prediabetics can't process sugar- so sugar is bad for us, and fruit is full of sugar. Carbohydrates are converted into sugar in our bodies, so we get the same bad effect, just later in the day. It's best to just look at carbohydrate and forget sugar as being a separate thing- sugar is simply a carb. The reason I'm putting it like this is that a lot of people (myself included at first) would look at something like the traffic light labels on UK food and see something as being 'green- low sugar, therefore good'. Often, this couldn't be further from the truth; something listed as low-sugar could be very high carb indeed.

Luckily it's not that complicated if you simply look at carbs per 100g and avoid high carb options to the best of your ability.
If you get a blood glucose monitor and test before and after you eat, you will soon see what raises your levels and what doesn't.
Generally, green leafy vegetables, meat, cheese, fish, eggs, cauliflower, broccoli are all very good.
Root vegetables can be more carby. Beans and pulses tend to be quite carby.
Grains and anything made of grains tends to be quite bad.
Fruit isn't great- berries being ok and bananas being terrible.
Butter is fine, cream is good, milk is quite bad, skimmed milk is terrible.

Your numbers make it look like your diabetes is mild, early and controllable, if not reversible. If you take control of this, you could actually find yourself feeling healthier than you have for years.
There are some good 'starter packs' here that I'll link for you below:

A good blog from one of our well-respected forum members
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/

This is information that I found very useful when first diagnosed some years ago, posted by Daisy

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 600,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
Low Carb Program - http://www.diabetes.co.uk/lowcarb/ for Type 2 diabetics/

Last edited:
Reactions: KidDougi

Trevor vP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi, and welcome to the forum, A very important part of diabetes control a lot of people, doctors and studies all agree with is exercise for Diabetes control especially T2 that is insulin resistance. If you not already doing your at least recommend by NHS 150 Mins a week,just start slowly by walking.

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/?tabname=how-much-exercise

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Thank you. I think I've fallen into the brown carb mistake by thinking I could simply swap to whole grain. I'd be best to just cut out the carbs?
I too am new. My A1c was 50 and I have been put on metformin but I’m hoping to not need that. I am very fussy with what I eat; I have bought Burgen bread on the advice of a diabetic colleague. This has 11g per slice of carb. But I’m not perfect at the mo - my fasting 6.4ish and 2hrs after meals 6 or 7 and this is with metformin and trying my best to cut carbs. Good luck. Xxxx.

Reactions: Annieshar

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I too am new. My A1c was 50 and I have been put on metformin but I’m hoping to not need that. I am very fussy with what I eat; I have bought Burgen bread on the advice of a diabetic colleague. This has 11g per slice of carb. But I’m not perfect at the mo - my fasting 6.4ish and 2hrs after meals 6 or 7 and this is with metformin and trying my best to cut carbs. Good luck. Xxxx.

If Burgen Bread is still too high in carbs for you then if you are able to bake, you can make your own low carb/keto bread. Just google keto bread for recipes.
They tend to have only 2gms of carbs per slice, though they will taste different because they are based upon either Almond Flour or Coconut Flour..

Personally I don't eat any bread at all these days, but many in this forum do.

Reactions: SuNuman

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
If Burgen Bread is still too high in carbs for you then if you are able to bake, you can make your own low carb/keto bread. Just google keto bread for recipes.
They tend to have only 2gms of carbs per slice, though they will taste different because they are based upon either Almond Flour or Coconut Flour..

Personally I don't eat any bread at all these days, but many in this forum do.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Thanks. I am trying not to but what do I eat at work for lunch, to fill me up? I will look up that bread and try my best at making it. X