Newly diagnosed

Pandy53

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cottage cheese
Hi there

I recently diagnosed with T2 and feeling quite overwhelmed. I’m supposed to have a call centre ring me but they haven’t yet and I’ve just been trying to learn things as I go along.
I’m titrating up to 4 Metformin tablets a day , just up to 2 at the moment and told to book another blood test at the end of October then with the diabetic nurse.

It’s all very upsetting, I’m overweight and feel I have a mountain to climb

Thanks
Pandy53

• Hug
Reactions: jjraak

Lobsang Tsultim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, it is overwhelming at first! But it soon becomes the new normal, and we adjust. Are you taking any other measures besides the tablets? Many of us type 2s have had good results by adjusting our food to take in fewer carbohydrates whilst ensuring our fat and protein intakes are sufficient, so we don't get hungry. It's likely that rather than you being overweight has caused diabetes, eating too many carbohydrates has led to insulin resistance which leads to being overweight and then diabetes. Take a look at the Freshwell Low Carb Project for some help and advice on menus.

Another measure that many of us have found useful is the purchase of a glucose meter. This allows us to track our reactions to particular foods and meals. We all differ slightly in our responses, so having a meter allows us to test our personal boundaries: some get good results by keeping under 100g of carbs per day, while others need to keep under 30g. Some can have traditional porridge for breakfast with no problems, while others became hyperglycemic merely by smelling it ;):)

Pandy53

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cottage cheese
Hi lobsang

Thanks so much. I tried low carb very strictly at first but made me feel worse, but I’ve only just started meds so early days

Now I’m doing lowing carb ie half a slice of toast with eggs at breakfast meal or couple of potatoes with dinner. I have cut out added sugar, Im obviously very carb sensitive though. I was diagnosed at 73mmol/L
All the best
Thanks

• Informative
Reactions: valann and jjraak

EllisB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi lobsang

Thanks so much. I tried low carb very strictly at first but made me feel worse, but I’ve only just started meds so early days

Now I’m doing lowing carb ie half a slice of toast with eggs at breakfast meal or couple of potatoes with dinner. I have cut out added sugar, Im obviously very carb sensitive though. I was diagnosed at 73mmol/L
All the best
Thanks
I have been feeling grotty for a few days while I have been reducing my carbs and starting to bring my BG down. I read that the body can get addicted to carbs. The Atkins diet recognises this and introduces some high quality carbs. That wears off after a while. I am feeling a bit better today, possibly lower BG, but may also be down to the withdrawal wearing off.

Stick with it, many members swear by low carb.

Reactions: valann and jjraak

Pandy53

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cottage cheese
Thanks I will keep trying, I’m sure it’s the best thing to do.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks I will keep trying, I’m sure it’s the best thing to do.
Sometimes a sudden reduction in carbs can cause flu like symptoms, known as keto flu. It only lasts a few days. I just think of it as all the sugar moaning at being made to leave my body, which helps.
If you were to give up alcohol or smoking you would get similar withdrawal symptoms. It's OK to feel a bit bad, your body is going through huge changes, but stick with it. Life on the other side is great!

Lobsang Tsultim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the keto flu reaction is quite common if you drop your carbs suddenly - cutting down more gradually might be easier for some. For me, I had to use the drastic, all or nothing approach. I did feel rough for a few days but found having a vegetable stock drink helped. I’ve read some feel better by increasing their salt intake while getting used to the change. Use your meter to see how the changes are working.

I started off by aiming for a post-meal increase less than or equal to 2, two hours after starting to eat. I quickly worked out what allowed that, and what caused larger spikes. Some things surprised me - one onion was enough to give an increase higher than 3; a mushroom omelette with three eggs didn’t affect my level at all. Steak and creamy leeks actually dropped my sugar to below the pre meal reading.

I also found I soon wasn’t as hungry as before and my portion sizes have got smaller. It’s not uncommon for me to skip a meal completely simply because I’m not hungry now. But if I’m hungry, then I allow myself a snack: some nuts or a piece of cheese, spoonful of nut butter etc. I’m not focused on losing weight, just on keeping my bloods good and not feeling hungry. Weight loss is just a pleasant side effect.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there

I recently diagnosed with T2 and feeling quite overwhelmed. I’m supposed to have a call centre ring me but they haven’t yet and I’ve just been trying to learn things as I go along.
I’m titrating up to 4 Metformin tablets a day , just up to 2 at the moment and told to book another blood test at the end of October then with the diabetic nurse.

Thanks
Pandy53
@Pandy53

So sorry to hear you've now joined our merry band .
But it is THE best forum no one ever wants to join

I think most of us have sat in that "overwhelmed" seat right after diagnosis (DX)

I know i did, and 4 years later still here, and doing much better on a lower carb diet .

So there is plenty of hope, as you'll find with each new reply.

BUT...It's an awful lot to take in , so take your time learning what helps with differing goods, etc.

Never considered I was 'overweight' before I was DX, but I was.

My immediate aim was reducing all the new risks that now confronted me.

If I could go back to that younger me, I'd remind myself it took me many years to get sick,
So taking a little time to get better, seems a small price to pay for better health outlook long term.
So relax a little, younger me

As mentioned, a happy coincidence was the weight loss.

Missus was one slways on one of those "Monday" diets..
Absolutely horrified at how much I ate on a low carb diet...
And in tears that I lost 3 stone doing it ..:hilarious:.

Not guaranteed, but check under many posters signatures for reassurance, it can & does happen.
A lot of members will add their HBA1c (blood test BG Level ).
And many add, their impressive weight loss.

The takeaway point is:
Take your time to get this right

It's not a DIET , it's a lifestyle choice..and one you have to be happy living with.

So take time to check what certain foods do to YOU.
Make mistakes & learn from them.
Cut out or cut back the bad.
Increase the good...simple.
But takes time to learn.

find alternatives that are healthier & that YOU like.
(I miss potatoes, so i load up with extra veg..leeks where ones I never used, now part of my weekly meal plan )

I found this visual guide invaluable on my early days here.

And deffo get a meter.
Indispensable for finding out how foods affect YOU.

Good luck on your journey .

valann

Hi there

Thanks
Pandy53
Hi Pandy53,

Welcome to the forums :)

Lot's of good advice above, something this forum is really good at and we all understand those overwhelming feelings.

Yes we have a mountain to climb but at least we're all climbing together which makes a huge difference. If you are overweight why not join us in our Friday Weigh section, again we support each other every step of the way. :)

• Agree

Pandy53

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cottage cheese
Sometimes a sudden reduction in carbs can cause flu like symptoms, known as keto flu. It only lasts a few days. I just think of it as all the sugar moaning at being made to leave my body, which helps.
If you were to give up alcohol or smoking you would get similar withdrawal symptoms. It's OK to feel a bit bad, your body is going through huge changes, but stick with it. Life on the other side is great!
I tried for 2 weeks and still felt awful,

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If the off feeling continued for 2 weeks, you were almost certainly electrolitically low. Needing salt, potassium and magnesium.
My mother in law recently went through several weeks being very poorly, not eating very nauseous. achy no energy. as she is basically housebound, partial amputee, nearly blind. type 2 for about 30 years, now with very good control via insulin. very overweight, very doctor phobic.
We eventually managed to persuade her to allow a diabetic nurse to visit.
The end result was lack of salt, within 12 hours all the symptoms had gone! feeling back to normal, appetite back, more energy and depression gone as not worrying that she would end up in hospital.

Pandy53

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cottage cheese
Thanks so much. Trouble is I’m on 3 hypertensive tablets as well so adding more salt probably isn’t an option for me. Just struggling with the whole diet thing, it’s causing a lot of anxiety

JimmyScotland

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many. I can put up with lots of negativity in all forms, it just makes me more determined to succeed when I meet a brick wall lol.
Hi there

Thanks
Pandy53
James from Glasgow Scotland. T2 since 2014 one year after my triple bypass lol. I got this beat because I learned through research over the past years since my diagnosis in 2014.
Just cut out carbohydrates and you'll feel better. Now retired I keep fit by gardening and doing lots of DIY depending on the weather.
On sunny days outside and rainy days indoors. Simple thinking works for me. I miss breakfast out and just have tea, coffee, or water to fill my stomach when I know I will not be doing any light to heavy activities and this in turn keeps my BS low also no extra weight put on. I just realized one morning that I was on auto to eat breakfast even when I knew I would not be doing anything to burn carbs etc. So, why eat if you're not doing manual work? It helped me lose weight over the weeks and months and friends and family kept remarking how fantastic I was looking. I didn't even notice I was losing this weight because I just cut out carbohydrates because I know they are a diabetic's worst enemy. I am such a fussy eater too, but I had no problems changing my diet as it felt pretty natural not to eat carb foods which amazed me. I even eventually stopped taking my Metformin in the morning because I only took fluids to keep me full. I would have breakfast and a single pill when I knew I was going to be doing things and so 8 years on it's " so far so good ". I test my BS level once or twice a day to see what certain foods are doing to my BS (Blood sugar ).

Reactions: valann

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mother in law was on blood pressure meds, at same time as salt advised, blood pressure meds stopped, may be temporary until settled. eating low carb also strips salt out of your system, so salt needed to replace what is lost. Whilst eating low carb you may have gone low on the blood pressure.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On the low carb forum I read of several accidents happening - one quite serious - due to low carb reducing the need for blood pressure lowering medication.
Do be cautious if you start to feel dizzy on standing up or going up stairs.

valann

Thanks so much. Trouble is I’m on 3 hypertensive tablets as well so adding more salt probably isn’t an option for me. Just struggling with the whole diet thing, it’s causing a lot of anxiety
I also take blood pressure tablets (along with many others) and have been told that I should still add a little salt daily to keep from going too low. I think for me that was good advise as I'm also following the low carb diet and my blood pressure has not suffered from it, I do have a blood pressure monitor so keep an eye on it regularly. If you are unsure why not give your DN or doctor a phone call and explain how you are feeling and would it be ok to take a little salt?

Anxiety can also push BG numbers up so try to control that a little, so much easier said than done I know but try. ;)