Newly Diagnosed

bilbo51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
not playing golf
Hi I was diagnosed with type 2 a few months ago and as I play a lot of golf ( weather permitting ) I seemed to had lost weight , but around Christmas I started to put weight back on and started to get very itchy on my hands then my legs and then my feet . It seemed to be like hives as if it was some form of reaction to something .So I took Piriton and things eased a little . but since then the itching has come back , always comes around evening time and by the time I go to bed my whole body is itching . lately there is no sign of hives but the itching is at sometimes unbearable . yes I do arise regularly at night to go to the wee man's room. but I don't feel tried I don't or haven't felt dizzy or anything like that . My diet seems to be quiet good ,loads of veg no sugar like most a good steak but mostly pork or chicken , I don't drink a part from the occasional pint and I mean occasional .My concerns are if the itching has anything to do with Diabetes and no I haven't been to the doctor. Please can some one give me a few hinters ...Thanks

Tron2112

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello, Last week I phoned the nurse for results of blood tests taken by my GP as was told the numbers "point to" diabetes. The reason I had the test was because of an intense rash that spread in patches over my arms, upper thighs, under and over breasts, belly and lower back. I was treated for eczema then hives but itch got worse and worse. In desperation I tried daktarin powder on it and that had a positive effect. I told the dr and he prescribed clotrimazole cream which is working great at reducing the itch and redness. Drs don't expect to see fungal infections that spread outside of dark moist skin areas. Yours may have a different cause but it sounded familiar so I thought I would share my experience.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

bilbo51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
not playing golf
Hi Tron2112 Thanks for the quick reply . I will of course make an appointment with my GP .I'm glad to hear that your treatment is helping to ease the itchiness. maybe its related to something else ..so doctors here I come

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm not aware that itching is common with diabetes; it's not a familiar symptom.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you test your glucose levels at all? Often when levels are high it makes you itch.

Hope you get it sorted soon.
Angie

bilbo51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
not playing golf
Hi angieG
no I have never done it at all and wouldn't know how . thanks for the advice

Nik442

Hi, i suffered from itching too. i think my GP said it was likely to be from being dehydrated as i was peeing so much.

Nik

Tron2112

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Diabetics are more susceptible to fungal infections which usually strike the genitals or skin folds - they need dark moist areas in which to grow. It's rare but occasionally these infections can spread to larger "dry" areas but that is what happened to me.

Dr was surprised but when he realised it was fungal he ordered a load of blood tests including HBA1c. The nurse mentioned "8" which I think was the fasting blood sugar. I will see the Dr on Tuesday to find out what I will need to do to manage this condition.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

bilbo51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
not playing golf
Thanks everyone
you have all been most helpful though as I'm a coffee freak Nik442 and drink quiet a few cups or mugs should I say I really don't think that I might be dehydrated , also have just checked my self Tron and nothing on my genitals or any skin folds .. though hope all goes well for you