Newly diagnosed

martin2410

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,
Ive just been conformed as having type 2 diabetes and started on Metformin tablets. As a lorry driver, I could really use as much info as I can get. Im not seeing a nurse untill another week, so as you can imagine, Im full of questions and nobody to answer them. The main question being, do I need to inform my motor insurance and will i need to pay extra? Ive spoke to DVLA and they said they dont need to know officially but will update my record anyway.
So, if yopu know something I might need to know but will probably forget to ask about, I would really appreciate any info you have,
Thanks a lot people.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Daisy will post some general info for you probably tomorrow but as far as driving is concerned, most insurers don't put the premiums up if you are just on metformin. You still need to tell them though. Some of the very cheap online quotes that people get have everything stripped out and they do look for excuses to start clawing money back, but normally insurers are only concerned when the DVLC start placing restrictions on your driving. Someone else will probably be better informed but that tends to be when you start to need insulin injections.

Although you have lots of questions and there is a lot to take in, you can do it at your own pace. Months go by between appointments and visits. The best thing you can do is read a little about foods. Daisy will have some info in her post along with some links.

martin2410

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks yorksman.
1 question that I've just remembered is what does metformin do? I've noticed that since being on it, if I don't eat at the right time, I feel quite strange, a bit shaky, can't see properly. Is this a hypo? I never seemed to go like that before I started on the metformin. So does it lower the blood glucose level? Should I carry sweets or a chocolate bar for this occurrence?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Martin and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the basic information which Yorksman mentioned which we give to new members. Ask all the questions you need to and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
martin2410 said:
I feel quite strange, a bit shaky, can't see properly. Is this a hypo? I never seemed to go like that before I started on the metformin. So does it lower the blood glucose level? Should I carry sweets or a chocolate bar for this occurrence?

I don't know as I don't take medication. I simply don't know if Metformin can lower your blood glucose enough to cause that. Your symptoms may be side effects. Certainly you should contact your doctor or pharmacist. Proper pharmacists like to be asked these things because they get very bored dispensing all the time, yet this is what they are trained for.

In th meantime post a new question with a title like Does Metformin cause shakes and blurry vision and you should get lots of responses.

leah86

Hoya I am type 1 and on insulin but I had to inform both dvla and insurance company they don't put up any of your premiums which made my day cos don't think I could afford anymore regarding feeling hypo I would ring the dn and ask their advise they are usually more than happy to help you over the phone x

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Aha, there you are, glad you found us. Lots of info here, do please take heed of the advice given re carbs as well as sugar because they are the hidden danger. Are you taking the metformin with food? It shouldn't give you hypos, elsewhere I recommended you get a meter and self test to learn about your levels.

Ali