Newly pregnant

eeb123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

So, it would seem I am pregnant - really early days so trying not to get carried away and still can't quite believe it!

However, I was just wondering what the process is once you've found out? I'm Type 1 diabetic, have phoned my Diabetes dept and just waiting to hear back from them and didn't know in your experiences what happens next...!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congratulations @eeb123 :)

I got an appointment for the pregnancy clinic very quickly. Are you taking the high dose folic acid? You might also be given low dose aspirin.

I found the pregnancy clinic very supportive :)

Reactions: eeb123

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @eeb123 Just wanted to say congratulations - that's fabulous news :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi everyone,

So, it would seem I am pregnant - really early days so trying not to get carried away and still can't quite believe it!

However, I was just wondering what the process is once you've found out? I'm Type 1 diabetic, have phoned my Diabetes dept and just waiting to hear back from them and didn't know in your experiences what happens next...!

Congratulations @eeb123 , that is wonderful news, so exciting but a little scary too. I had my daughter at the age of 42 1/2 years and she is nearly 17 now, so that was my best diabetes moment ever. Good luck X

Last edited:
Reactions: eeb123 and azure

saruhbeau

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya congratulations!

Do you know how far gone you are?

I found out I am pregnant just over a week ago, I am 16 weeks.

I first told my dsn on the phone. She told me to make an eye screening appointment straight away.

I went to my GP as soon as I knew, who prescribed 5mg folic acid and made a referral to the obstetrics consultant.

Made an appointment with regular mI'd wife at my surgery who did my first booking appointment, and a referral for dating scan. Scan was booked for the following week. I was told to make another midwife appointment after the scan for 11wks. I had my eye screening done this week too.

Had my scan this week, and found out I am 16 weeks so a lot further than I thought. I had a phone call from the diabetic midwife at the hospital to make an urgent appointment which I had today. Told to cancel the other midwife appointment as I won't be seeing midwife at GP surgery again.

Today the diabetic midwife has referred me to the dietician, made me an urgent diabetes clinic appointment next week, and booked me to see the obstetrics consultant and to see her again in 3 weeks.

I've had bloods/urine tests and blood pressure. All the usual and today the midwife got fragmin blood thinning injections prescribed for me. You might not need that, blood clots run in my family. I think most people are given low dose aspirin after 12 weeks.

Lastly I had my 20 week scan booked in for 4 weeks, and it will be with a consultant to check the scan in detail. Although all anomaly checks were done this week and baby looks fine.

In my area I will be seen every 4 weeks until later in pregnancy then it will be fortnightly. Be ready for lots of appointments and blood tests etc!

I've been told to aim for no higher than 5.3 waking and 7.8 post meal. Not sure if you're MDI or pump but either way I have been testing and correcting a lot. And you may find you have a lot of hypos in 1st trimester and then insulin requirements go up in 2nd. I'm finding it hard with the hypos still.

Good luck with everything!

eeb123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow thank you all so much for your replies- it's so hard in the early days when you aren't telling anyone so all the questions just go in to Google, which can be a minefield!
I can't be certain of dates at the moment but I think I am about 4 weeks, so still early days. I'm hugely worried that something is going to happen but just need to be rational and take each day as it comes. I'm having lots of troubles with hypos too, then having a battle with a cycle of going higher and correcting and bringing it lower and so it goes on.
Luckily we've been planning and I am taking the high dose folic acid and my DSN is aware, so that is one less thing to worry about I suppose!
Xx

saruhbeau

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I understand that fear, I think it's natural to worry especially before you have had the scan and know dates. You're doing all the right things by taking folic acid beforehand and doing your best to keep control of blood sugars. The week or so I had to wait for my dating scan really dragged as until then I couldn't let myself believe I was pregnant.

Have you had your booking appointment yet? I know its too soon for a scan but hopefully when you get a scan date you can look forward to that. It was a huge shock to find out I was 16 weeks at my first scan!

Congratulations again and let us know how your get on :)