News Item

dot

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8359959.stm

Nice to see some publicity regarding Type 1 on a mainsteam website as so much tends to be type 2 orientated.

I wonder though if it really has such a big impact on other type 1 families. In truth my son's diagnosis hasn't made a huge difference to what we do, we just have to be a little more aware and be prepared.

I can't help wondering though, it says in the item that it take this child 4 days to get over doing a cross country run - I can't quite get my head round that one.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
the press always like to pick on the most "interesting" things they can. Perhaps it does take this child 4 days to get over a cross country run, however if she took it in her stride as many children probably do, where would be the story?
It all depends on her level of fitness. Steve Redgrave rowed in the olympics as an insulin dependent diabetic[although probably a T2]
I am a 62 year old T2 and went on a cross country walk with a couple of younger friends last week. A the end of the walk[only4miles], theyw were puffed and I wasn't. the following day they reported aches and pains and stiffness. I didn't have those, but then i'm pretty fit.
there's no reason why a diabetic ,even a T1, shouldn't be fit.
Hana

dot

That is my point really - it makes out that the reason she takes 4 days to get over a cross country run is because she is diabetic.

It would probably take me that long but I'm not diabetic. My son is and he would be fine. I'm just not sure that it is good to make out that this condition will automatically have a huge impact on people's lives. Its true that it does have an impact, but it need not be a negative one.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
As I said
Where would be the news if all of us take this thing in our stride?
I'm just off to walk 2 miles to my friend's house for coffee and a natter.
Hana
PS if it doesn't rain, I'll walk back too. I live on top of a hill, she at the bottom. It takes me about 40 minutes each way.