NEWS: More weight loss operations for diabetes

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Crazy that they will waste money on this yet prevent most T2's test strips !!!!!
But we don't need them. The metformin takes care of it all! :rolleyes:Yes the magic pill which allows us all to carry on stuffing our faces with cream cakes! :banghead:And in any case, you can't go hypo on it :hilarious: And we're all too fat and it's all our fault that we've got diabetes anyway! ;)

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Daily Mail and Daily Express love a bit of a Diabetes headline.
I'm surprised that they haven't blamed the immigrants! They usually do! Oh, and the unemployed too! :rolleyes:

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Listening to Baroness Young on Radio 4 this am. She was talking about lifestyle choices and implying that was the cause of diabetes type 2.

My fault then.
No doubt she went on to state where she got her medical qualifications, too.........:hilarious:
But then again..... Maybe not! o_O

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
But of course. Not only Baroness Young but also the interviewer implied that T2s are either too stupid to understand that they should just cut calories and do more exercise or too weak-willed to do it; and the danger now, apparently, is that diabetics will deliberately choose to be obese couch potatoes secure in the knowledge that the NHS will rescue us with bariatric surgery! Gosh yes, I'm sure everybody has read with envy how much fun this surgery is and would make lifestyle choices based on the chance of getting it free!

Kate
Booking my bed now!!!!!!:facepalm:

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have just attended an X-pert course, it was useful in a much as knowing how diabetes affects your body and how your liver and pancreas work together etc, but when it came to the dietary advice, I was appalled, they were advising everyone that they could have a treacle pudding, rice pudding, pie and custard etc for desert, as long as they cut out potatoes in their main meal and they could replace a meal with as much fruit as they liked and if someone tells you they have tested and have a high reading, they have either not washed their hands properly or they haven't tested correctly (Fruit does not raise bg) that a diabetics diet should be the same as hers just smaller portions and that nothing was forbidden.

I strongly disagreed with the dietician dietary advice and was told by the dietician that because I followed the LCHF diet, I wouldn't be able to keep the weight off that I had lost, I would put it all back on again and wouldn't advise the others to try it, She told me that I was definitely an exception to the rule and the way to go was 50% carbs at each meal (eat well plate) She also told me that I would probably be on insulin much sooner than everyone else on the course. I advised her that there were at least another 107,000 people on this website alone that were all an exception to the rule in that case, and strangely enough a lot were diet only (I have reduced one tablet and hopefully will get rid of the other at the next HbA1c test in August) and a lot were able to reduce their insulin by following a LCHF diet, so could she explain why I should stuff my face with carbs that could kill me and risk nasty complications later in life if I lived that long lol. She refused to comment.

She also told everyone on the course not to test, that it was not necessary and that most meters we unreliable and would only cause people to be anxious and worried because they didn't understand the readings. I ask her why they didn't educate people, as surely having a stable bg level was far better than waiting for the next HbA1c test when you could be walking around with high levels and not know (she had already told us that symptoms don't appear unless you are 10mmol/l or more). Again no comment.

Sorry for the rant, but when I heard the news this morning about surgery for obese diabetics I just saw red, at the end of the day the NHS are responsible for a lot of the problems they are facing due to their lack of knowledge and unwillingness to accept that they are wrong, it's all well and good offering surgery, it might temporarily solve the obese problem, but it won't solve the problem of surgery for complications. When will they realise that if they gave the right dietary information and test strips to start with they wouldn't be in this situation and would save millions on all types of diabetic related surgery.

Rant over

Take care everyone

Marilyn
Utterly appalling! Especially as people will follow her **** advice! Not surprised you were angry! I have just read the post and it made me fuming! :mad:

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I said I have 40g of nuts, the person sitting next to me piped up "well in the X-pert book it says you can only have 25g oops sorry your on a different diet than everyone else"

Marilyn
My immediate response would have been:
An "x" is a has been and a spurt is a drip under pressure!
Better to be different rather than stupid! :banghead:

Reactions: 4 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Err no but that is exactly what writters who write diet books for profit like Gary Taubes and Barry Groves do, Ancel Keys was a scientist who didnt cherry pick anything and all his research was peer reviewed.

I apologise for the doctorate statement that was of course the notorious (not a doctor) Barry Groves not Gary Taubes at all so please forgive me as these scurrilous diet gurus all merge into one after 6 years of good control whilst eating carbs with most meals. There is little between them all these money driven diet gurus, out to make money from insecure, overweight and or diabetic people who are struggling to control their weight and bg levels and susceptible to this sort of disgusting rubbish.

Oddly I see hardly any low carbers who were posting here when I joined who are still active posters, why do you think that might be? Smoke and mirrors perhaps.

Thats it from me folks.

I would urge everyone to do their own research before setting out on any diet that they will need to be on for the rest of their lives, and if anyone knows of such a diet please share it because I dont believe one exists other than eating less food. There and Ive told you that for free, no need to buy a book at all.
I'm glad your diet works for you but I become very ill if I eat your diet! Bs in double figures! However, LCHF works for me and my bs has come down massively. I love this way of life and am hoping to maintain it for the rest of my life!
I don't believe that one diet fits all and wish people luck with whatever they do to achieve better health.

Reactions: 6 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Looking at the title of the thread, does anyone else apart from me think that bariatric surgery being made the treatment of choice for T2 who are overweight is a form of assault?
Controversial statement maybe, but it is being touted to people as an easy option. Gastric bypass surgery removes the future possibility of eating like the general population eat, at any time after the surgery. You need to take digestive enzymes, and cannot have a drink at the same time as your (miniscule) meal. I know of people who have had this surgery who have suffered psychological and physical problems after, even though their weight returns to 'normal', as do their blood glucose readings. They were not prepared for the drastic change to their body, body image, and other peoples' perceptions of them.

I was offered bariatric surgery, almost bullied into having it, but refused and found an alternative way to reduce weight, after slavishly following the healthy eating, lots of carbs at every meal route as advised. Which as most of us acknowledge does not work.

If the new suggestion of BMI30+ being the threshold weight for this surgery to become eligible on NHS, then there will possibly be a rush of people keen to have it. These will be people who will probably not considered the negative aspects of such major surgery, and will be like 'lambs to the slaughter'.

The £15k cost of each operation could be better spent on realistic education programmes and it could be a lot cheaper if health professionals were directed to this site for diabetes education in the first instance, and encouraged their patients to do the same.

Reactions: 11 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Looking at the title of the thread, does anyone else apart from me think that bariatric surgery being made the treatment of choice for T2 who are overweight is a form of assault?
Controversial statement maybe, but it is being touted to people as an easy option. Gastric bypass surgery removes the future possibility of eating like the general population eat, at any time after the surgery. You need to take digestive enzymes, and cannot have a drink at the same time as your (miniscule) meal. I know of people who have had this surgery who have suffered psychological and physical problems after, even though their weight returns to 'normal', as do their blood glucose readings. They were not prepared for the drastic change to their body, body image, and other peoples' perceptions of them.

I was offered bariatric surgery, almost bullied into having it, but refused and found an alternative way to reduce weight, after slavishly following the healthy eating, lots of carbs at every meal route as advised. Which as most of us acknowledge does not work.

If the new suggestion of BMI30+ being the threshold weight for this surgery to become eligible on NHS, then there will possibly be a rush of people keen to have it. These will be people who will probably not considered the negative aspects of such major surgery, and will be like 'lambs to the slaughter'.

The £15k cost of each operation could be better spent on realistic education programmes and it could be a lot cheaper if health professionals were directed to this site for diabetes education in the first instance, and encouraged their patients to do the same.
I'm probably going to get shot down in flames but I agree with you Pipp! HCP s seem hellbent on advising patients that the eat well plate is the only way forward and even when we sit there in their "education" classes as living proof that low carb works, we are written off as nutters who are the exception to the rule. I also lost weight following a low fat diet , heavy on carbs pre diabetes days but put every pound back on. I have lost much more on LCHF. I think it's possible to lose weight using both diets but you have to chose one or the other and stick to it for life or you end up fat again. I don't think it's possible to eat carbs and fat together for lots of people. My hubbie tried for years to lose the paunch he gained in his early 30s by eating low fat and doing loads of exercise but LCHF shifted the additional 2 stone in 4 months and his stomach is as flat as a pancake. I still do not understand why we are encouraged to eat food which raises out bs when we are on tablets to bring it down. I feel very sorry for those who follow their doc/DNS advice and end up fatter and in many cases on insulin because "diabetes is a progressive disease!"
Furthermore, LCHF does not raise my bs and it enables me to have more freedom in what I eat. Everyone who has dinner with us, loves our food! Of course I still miss crusty bread from time to time or cake and occasionally I have a small piece of cake or the odd creme caramel but the bread is out because it has a far worse effect on my bs and I don't want to become ill and fatter again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 9 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Who will shoot you down, @Scandichic ?
What you say makes absolute sense.
Ah, I get it. Health professionals churning out the advice to have carbs with every meal could defend their stance aggressively. I wonder, has anyone from this forum started a campaign to re-educate the health professionals? I know some individuals have, but might we have more effect with a collective organised challenge?

Reactions: 5 people

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I'm glad your diet works for you but I become very ill if I eat your diet! Bs in double figures!

Really? And what exactly is "my diet"?

The fact is no one here knows what anyone else is eating its an internet forum and you dont know me or what I eat just as I dont know you or anyone else for that matter, I can tell you that I dont increase the amount of fat I eat is that what makes your bg levels rise perhaps?

I doubt it, other than that I watch the amount of carbs I eat and only eat the amounts that I know will not push my bg levels up, is that what causes you so many problems?

I eat to my meter what is it that you do that makes your bg levels rise when you eat "my diet" what ever that is.

It just seems strange to me that very low-low carbers always seem to end up posting that they are more sensitive to carbs when what is really happening is that they are really more insulin resistant, probably, I believe due to the extra fat in their diet.

Now Im not telling you or anyone else that that is a fact its what I believe and of cause it could account for why so many vl low carbers post that their cholesterol has gone up when most low carbers say that it has the opposite effect. Its all very strange isnt it?

Like you knowing what I eat.....

Last edited by a moderator:

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm surprised that they haven't blamed the immigrants! They usually do! Oh, and the unemployed too!
No, this one's down to single mothers who, having heedlessly popped out babies in order to get a free council flat now loll about on benefits all day eating cream cakes to qualify for the next freebie - gastric band surgery!

Kate

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Really? And what exactly is "my diet"?

The fact is no one here knows what anyone else is eating its an internet forum and you dont know me or what I eat just as I dont know you or anyone else for that matter, I can tell you that I dont increase the amount of fat I eat is that what makes your bg levels rise perhaps?

I doubt it, other than that I watch the amount of carbs I eat and only eat the amounts that I know will not push my bg levels up, is that what causes you so many problems?

I eat to my meter what is it that you do that makes your bg levels rise when you eat "my diet" what ever that is.

It just seems strange to me that very low-low carbers always seem to end up posting that they are more sensitive to carbs when what is really happening is that they are really more insulin resistant, probably, I believe due to the extra fat in their diet.

Now Im not telling you or anyone else that that is a fact its what I believe and of cause it could account for why so many vl low carbers post that their cholesterol has gone up when most low carbers say that it has the opposite effect. Its all very strange isnt it?

Like you knowing what I eat.....

Sid ,
I found parts of your post unnecessary and aggressive. It is entirely up to you what you eat and I have never said otherwise. You have said that you eat carbs with every meal so presumably this is your diet. My understanding from this post and others which you have written is that you do eat some starchy carbs. As I have clearly stated on many occasions, LCHF works for me but not everyone. I would always recommend it to anyone as it seems to work for most people. If someone follows low GI or any other diet and it works for them then that pleases me as I would like everyone to be as well as they can be.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No, this one's down to single mothers who, having heedlessly popped out babies in order to get a free council flat now loll about on benefits all day eating cream cakes to qualify for the next freebie - gastric band surgery!

Kate
:hilarious: Oh yes, I'd forgotten the single mothers!
My dad reads this paper, which is surprising as he is an intelligent individual who doesn't vote for Ukip. I have tried to persuade him that he ought to buy a proper paper like the times or the observer but to no avail! Lol :D

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Im going into hiding after this post!!!! but, I think there are a large proportion of obese people who would loose alot of weight by eating a sensible diet. I mean diet in the sense of a permanent eating plan, including complex carbs. Not fast food,cakes,chocs etc. this isn't aimed at any type of diabetic but the population as a whole. Anyone seen biggest loser uk/usa/australia, secret eaters (who say they eat healthy and believe it) and the like, with participants eating a structured diet (and some even diabetic coming of meds. And not forgetting jarred~ the subway guy, lost a ton of weight eating healthy subs, (though I don't think diabetic). Fact is, people are more busy, less active, poorer all leading to bad choices and fast food. Now, although i believe this would work for non ds, and those where weight is the only factor to being diabetic , I am aware for many diagnosed this would not help. This is because strips and meters are not given to the majority to find out how many/which carbs their diet can tolerate/need for them. Then there are some who, whatever weight could of lost insulin production as well as being insulin resistant. Tests are not carried out to distinguish.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 8 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Im going into hiding after this post!!!! but, I think there are a large proportion of obese people who would loose alot of weight by eating a sensible diet. I mean diet in the sense of a permanent eating plan, including complex carbs. Not fast food,cakes,chocs etc. this isn't aimed at any type of diabetic but the population as a whole. Anyone seen biggest loser uk/usa/australia, secret eaters (who say they eat healthy and believe it) and the like, with participants eating a structured diet (and some even diabetic coming of meds. And not forgetting jarred~ the subway guy, lost a ton of weight eating healthy subs, (though I don't think diabetic). Fact is, people are more busy, less active, poorer all leading to bad choices and fast food. Now, although i believe this would work for non ds, and those where weight is the only factor to being diabetic , I am aware for many diagnosed this would not help. This is because strips and meters are not given to the majority to find out how many/which carbs their diet can tolerate/need for them. Then there are some who, whatever weight could of lost insulin production as well as being insulin resistant. Tests are not carried out to distinguish.

Why? Seems perfectly reasonable to me! I put on 6 stone over 23 years. Up until I was diagnosed, I didn't plan meals and we would often grab the first thing which came to hand or was available at the corner shop or takeout. Looking back at things, although we ate some very healthy stuff, we ate mostly ****. Now meals are planned, we cook from scratch, we eat LCHF and everyone is a **** sight healthier for it. We make time for brekkie every day whereas I never had time before. I only wish I had discovered LCHF before I started piling on the pounds! We have saved loads of money too!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

A good and constructive post brett :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Why? Seems perfectly reasonable to me! I put on 6 stone over 23 years. Up until I was diagnosed, I didn't plan meals and we would often grab the first thing which came to hand or was available at the corner shop or takeout. Looking back at things, although we ate some very healthy stuff, we ate mostly ****. Now meals are planned, we cook from scratch, we eat LCHF and everyone is a **** sight healthier for it. We make time for brekkie every day whereas I never had time before. I only wish I had discovered LCHF before I started piling on the pounds! We have saved loads of money too!

Good on you for posting this Scandichic, it's about turning things around for the individual and choosing a healthier lifestyle that suits them ( and also includes their family too) :)

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Oddly I see hardly any low carbers who were posting here when I joined who are still active posters, why do you think that might be? Smoke and mirrors perhaps.

That's because my brothers and sisters have less patience than me Sid Bonkers.

If you are going to dismiss Taubes but recommend Keys surely it follows that you should read both of them? Or how can you know?

Dillinger

Reactions: 5 people