NHS Couch to 5K

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has any one tried the NHS to 5K podcasts?

I'm at the "perfect" weight for my height, I would just like to be a bit fitter. I walk my dog every day so I'm thinking with the podcasts I could try and change that walk into a run. I just need the motivation!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Go for it Hale. Perfect weight is great, but doesn't always mean perfect fitness ( not saying you're not lol ). Walking is a great exercise but I am a big believer in pushing yourself a little. With walking, you're probably only working at 60% max HR, if that. You need to vary your intensity, maybe up to 75-80% now and then. Keeps the body guessing and performs different functions. As for the app, not used it but if it gets you jogging ( or even walking very fast ) it has to be beneficial. Good luck and let us know how you get on !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm definitely not fit. I can walk for hours, but putting the slightest cardio and you would swear I was dying!

I think the idea of the podcast is to ease you into running 5k, starting with 1 minute running at a time. I'm just a bit lazy so need motivation haha

rehill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Yes, I used it to prepare for a 5K run last year. It was very good and got me well prepared for the actual run. I ran 5K in 32 minutes.

So. I'd highly recommend it. The music is well suited to running and the coach gives you updates every now and again on how you are doing.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Whats podcast?

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's basically just an audio thing, I'm not really sure how to describe a podcast!

rehill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
brett said:
Whats podcast?

It's an audio recording that you listen to on an iPod (hence podcast) or other MP3 player. You can download the episodes from Apple's iTunes or the NHS Direct website.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
rehill said:
brett said:
Whats podcast?

It's an audio recording that you listen to on an iPod (hence podcast) or other MP3 player. You can download the episodes from Apple's iTunes or the NHS Direct website.

Far more articulate than me!

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
I'd recommend cycling rather than running. It's much easier on the joints and as its less stressful on the body you can keep it up for longer, hence more benefit.
Cyclists are renowned for having good cardiovascular fitness and longer active lives than other sporting groups.
I run too, so I'm not biased in this. I just know what works best (for me).

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I already cycle at the weekends :) my thinking with running is that I can take my dog with me, substitute the usual afternoon walk for a run! Will start on Monday, see how far I take it