Type 1 Nhs diabetes negligence

Alicja

Hi all . I have recently been discharged from hospital and , happy to say, I’m well and in one piece but there was an incident during my stay on the ward. I have been put on a sliding scale for a period of time awaiting endoscopy and unable to eat for a day. In the mean time I fell asleep early afternoon and was supposed to have my bm checked hourly. I suddenly woke up feeling need for toilet , nth else, and soon collapsed back on the bed and lost consciousness. It turned up my bm hasn’t been monitored regularly and sliding scales ran out of glucose which meant I was asleep having insulin only constantly infused with no glucose to cover. An incident form has not been produced until one of doctors realised what was going on the day after ! With my poor sense for low bgs I’m not sure I would have made it alive if my badder didn’t wake me up.What procedure should I go for apart from hospital internal investigation being carried out atm? Hope it doesn’t happen to anyone ever again in that hospital. It should be a safe place for all patients to be . Any ideas or experience like mine?

Dark Horse

This sounds like it would meet the definition of a 'Serious Incident' as outlined in the NHS document, Serious Incident Framework, found on this page:- https://improvement.nhs.uk/resources/serious-incident-framework/

If so, there should be an investigation with a root cause analysis to find out why it happened and measures put in place to stop it from happening again anywhere else in the NHS. The NHS has a 'duty of candour' so when the facts have been established, they should explain to you why it happened.

Reactions: Alicja

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Very sad for you. I have always said that I would always refuse Sliding Scale as there is really no need for it and it's fairly common for nurses not having a clue on it's use or not monitoring it adequately. I would certainly make an issue of it as it's use should only be in exceptional circumstances.

karen diana

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi sorry to hear about your hospital stay, I also had a dreadful time in hospital last feb I had pancreatic cancer and had my spleen and half my pancreas removed, they very really checked my bloods, so much so they asked me how much insulin I took repeating my self several times I only take metfomin, my sister in law was taking my reading after two days of having sugar levels in the high 20 early 30 she spoke to the doctor who said she wasn’t aware I was a diabetic. I was the put on a sliding scale and after 7 days in hospital was then given insulin, I am now a t3 c diabetic. And have adjusted my insulin to suit my , with my sister in law help good luck

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
at that level of neglect nurses are struck off. missing one test thou bad can be excused to fail to do any no defence. the no glucose is even worse. you need to make a formal complaint. be warily of internal investigations unless they want shut of a particular nurse it can be covered up. wards dont run out of glucose drips they just could not be bothered to find some. a hospital always has them in.