NHS diabetes prevention program - worth it?

Lizzy274

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Has anyone done this? Is it worth it or are they just likely to tell me stuff I already know?

I'm not diabetic but I'm at high risk and have had raised readings, hence being offered the place.

Any information and opinions welcome. I don't want to commit and take a place on it if it's going to be useless.

Thanks!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It depends on what you know.

Personally, any information is always useful for me.

Reactions: Bellatom

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Personally I would go ,even if you learn just one thing from it ,it will be worth it,and when you have been you can come back and tell us what you learnt and help our other friends who are offered a place in their location,go for it :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would go too, it may be useful, it may not, but you won't know unless you go.

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
It depends. If my TV were broke and all the pubs where shut and none of my bikes needed cleaning and the cat litter tray had been done and I had run out of needles to stick in my eyes then yes I would go.

Reactions: jonbvn

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with Douglas, Wiseowl and zand. Info is good. Sharing info is even better.
But in all honesty, I would feel exactly like psignathus, and resent every second.

:hilarious:

I would also be wondering, am I taking up a place that would be better given to someone else? OR am I saving some other poor sap from being indoctrinated into the Eatwell Plate?

Who knows?

Maybe @Lizzy274 can come back and give us the answer...?

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it worth it or are they just likely to tell me stuff I already know?
As has been mentioned above, we don't know what you know and, of course, you don't know what you don't know. The question I would be asking myself, in your position, would be,
Am I the sort of person who can read around a subject, research it, evaluate information and draw it together into something meaningful for me? Am I going to be frightened by words or terms that aren't familiar, or will I simply look them up and take them on board.
If the answer is yes, you probably don't need to attend what is almost certain to be a very slowly paced, mixed ability training session.
However, if you like the reassurance of someone explaining things to you and would rather take things slowly, a training session may be for you.
Also, be aware that some of these training sessions can be full of out dated information, such as "eat lots of carbs with every meal" and, by the way, would you like another biscuit.
Sally

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Can you really find every answer to your life on google?
I like to meet real people, that have actually done it, and meet them face to face.
That way you get an honest opinion of your 'answers', rather than simply trawling through until you find ones that are meaningful to you, and quietly dismiss the rest.
Discussion is the most honest way to learn.

I think if you can approach it with an open mind, you'll get a lot out of it.
If you go to prove they don't agree with your internet research, you may not get a good experience.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The problem with these courses is that they are, by definition, the people who haven't done it.
Sally

That's because you do your own courses, online.

I did mine in a room full of other diabetics.
With three nurses who met diabetics every day.

As I said, to benefit from a learning course, it needs an open mind, otherwise you are better off on your laptop and you will always find your support, and no discussion to trouble you.
We should all learn in the way that suits up though, everyone has different needs.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

As I said, to benefit from a learning course, it needs an open mind, otherwise you are better off on your laptop and you will always find your support, and no discussion to trouble you.
We should all learn in the way that suits up though, everyone has different needs.
And did those nurses really recommend the Newcastle Diet to you?
If so you were an extraordinarily lucky man..
No one at my surgery was even aware of Roy Taylor let alone his findings..so it's a lottery.. I learnt much more from here than anywhere and next time I see anyone from the NHS about my condition I will recommend they do the same..read the success stories on this forum and open their minds..

Reactions: psignathus

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
And did those nurses really recommend the Newcastle Diet to you?
If so you were an extraordinarily lucky man..
No one at my surgery was even aware of Roy Taylor let alone his findings..so it's a lottery.. I learnt much more from here than anywhere and next time I see anyone from the NHS about my condition I will recommend they do the same..read the success stories on this forum and open their minds..

Yes, as I say, an open mind is always good.
Sometimes you find out you don't know everything.
And I quite often learn as much simply by seeing others make mistakes, so I don't, as by finding the right way.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, as I say, an open mind is always good.
Sometimes you find out you don't know everything.
And I quite often learn as much simply by seeing others make mistakes, so I don't, as by finding the right way.
You have avoided answering about the ND..did the nurses recommend it to you?

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2

This forum and subsequently LCHF & IF together with plenty of exercise have halved my Hba1c and a led to a weight loss of 25%. There are now far too many similar cases on here to be written off as purely anecdotal evidence.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
This forum and subsequently LCHF & IF together with plenty of exercise have halved my Hba1c and a led to a weight loss of 25%. There are now far too many similar cases on here to be written off as purely anecdotal evidence.

There are many ways to go, hence the reason to get out and meet people who do accept there are other ways.
If that suits you, that's good.
I worked with my HCP's took their advice, and found my way, to actually reverse my diabetes, not diet control it.

But in doing so I also accepted I didn't know everything about diabetes, (still don't) and that others may know more. (or less). So I keep learning

I obviously make no secret of the fact I prefer not to low carb, for example, today I'm expecting my daughter home, I'm making banana bread, as it's her favourite, and yet, I do like to be able to have a slice or two with her still, so my method suits me better.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can I be blunt. Most of these NHS courses take too long and include a lot of bad information such as the (in)famous Eatwell Guide. All the information anyone needs is on this website to help reduce the risk of diabetes or manage it.

Reactions: tina_marie

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Is it sensible to refuse a chance any chance that may help you avoid diabetes. because diabetes is something I would have gone to great lengths to avoid if I had only known.

Go to it and then come back here and run it past us you can get great guidance here as to what may be pertenant or useful.

Lizzy274

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Quite a debate here!

I've decided to give it a go. I'll go with an open mind and hopefully I will learn something.

I'll report back in due course but as the program is 9 months, it won't be for a while. If it's rubbish, I'll offer feedback via my gp and hopefully save others from it!