NHS funding for Dexcom 5 sensors

andynjane

Hi. New to this forum so forgive me if question already asked.
My 12yr old son has had type 1 for last 4 years and is very poorly managed. Swings from highs to lows on daily basis. Over 30+ finger pricks every day. We are looking to self fund the Dexcom G5 to assist him with everyday diabetes management and make it easier for us and him. We know what the initial outlay is but was wondering if we could get the sensors on the NHS. We currently use accuchek mobile cartridges at a rate of one cartridge every couple of days and there are 50 tests on each cartridge.
Advice of any sort would be appreciated.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you had a look at the Abbot Freestyle Libre? (no chance of getting that on the NHS at the mo but may work out cheaper than a G5 if you are self funding) Sorry can't answer whether the NHS would fund a G5.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Haven't NICE just agreed that the Libre can now be on the NHS for children or have I got that completely wrong?

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
last I heard, it has now been licensed (?) to be used on children 4yrs or older - when it first came out it was only for adults.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Must remember to put my brain in gear more often................

iHs

@andynjane

Insulin pumps are now being given to children fairly easily as children come first in the list of priorities. Although pumps will not do away with bg testing, the basal rates on a pump can be adjusted more easily than using pens and tend to give easier control of bg in the long run. Also, the cgm developers are now trying to make their technology incorporate into the pumps programming As for the cgm Technology being funded by the NHS, this will probably only happen if more data gets revealed and even then, the price would need to reduce or some other compromise would need to take place.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Why are you looking at G5 I would recommend G4 its much cheaper and from what I've heard more reliable.

again you can pair this with a pump, Could you give some indication of his treatment so maybe we can help?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haven't NICE just agreed that the Libre can now be on the NHS for children or have I got that completely wrong?

June - my belief is it has recently been approved for use on children, whereas before that date the approval was for adult use only. Sadly, approval for provision by NHS prescription still remains some way off for both adults and children.

When I read the paediatric announcement, I initially got a bit over excited myself. :(

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@andynjane I'd second the pump suggestion above, if your son doesn't already have one, that is. The ability to fine tune the basal and have temporary basal rates for exercise, illness, etc, is fantastic.

Have you spoken to your son's DSN about the Dexcom? They may be able to advise you about what's available and what options you would have. Also, have you asked if they have any your son could borrow so that you can get a better idea of what's happening with his blood sugar, and also see how he gets on with the Dexcom.

fletchlives

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi. New to this forum so forgive me if question already asked.
My 12yr old son has had type 1 for last 4 years and is very poorly managed. Swings from highs to lows on daily basis. Over 30+ finger pricks every day. We are looking to self fund the Dexcom G5 to assist him with everyday diabetes management and make it easier for us and him. We know what the initial outlay is but was wondering if we could get the sensors on the NHS. We currently use accuchek mobile cartridges at a rate of one cartridge every couple of days and there are 50 tests on each cartridge.
Advice of any sort would be appreciated.
Hi, I recently bought a Dexcom 4 for use with my two year old type 1 as it was a nightmare getting any sleep, rapid drops and us been unable to tell or for him to tell us if he felt low or high, early days for us with him but the Dexcom is a god send expensive I know but honestly the best thing we have ever bought. The Dexcom 4 is very accurate and sets an alarm off for highs and lows etc and sends out an update to the the receiver every 5 minutes, The Big difference between the Decom 4 and 5 are the 5 sends its to your mobile etc but the transmitter etc does not last as long which is why we went for the Dexcom 4 which lasts longer and we don't need by the second updates,
Second part is the sensor's where they quote 7 days and at £50.00 each its expensive, I spent a lot of time researching this and even though its early days for us so far we are getting 3 weeks out of each one, use skin tac under the transmiter and tacoderm over the top, If I can get to 4 weeks I will be more than happy. 100% believe every t1 should have one of these for free, you get to see whats going on all the time and how it changes whilst just playing outside. Hope this helps a little it's just the cost or everyone would have one.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It quite clearly states the 640 has not been approved but the veo has yet the veo isn't made anymore. Even more daft their remarks about Dexcom it's known to be more reliable than the enlites.

Not sure if that is a criticism of me or of NICE! But either way it's probably warranted at I did only look at this quite superficially when it was released - I quickly discounted it for me because my clinc doesn't offer vibe & low suspend seems like shutting the door after the horse has bolted - I just had in my head as something that might be worth having a look at re likelihood of getting a CGM funded. Sorry for any confusion :oops: