1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

NHS prescription charges

Discussion in 'Benefits' started by Tel14, May 17, 2020.

1. Tel14

Tel14 · Member

Hi all,
    I am in the process of being diagnosed with diabetes- still awaiting tests to confirm if type II or LADA. Currently taking Gliclazide 80mg twice daily.

Prior to all this kicking off a couple of weeks ago, I had an NHS pre-payment card for my prescription as a take a couple of other medications.
    My understanding is that if you are diabetic you get your prescriptions for free? My questions are...
    1. Is this true- my internet research seems to suggest so
    2. Is it only your diabetic meds you don’t get charged for, or does everything on your prescription (diabetes related or not) become free of charge?

I ask because if it is free then I need to look in to cancelling my monthly pre-payment card fee.

Many thanks as always!

2. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Diabetes Melitus qualifies you for a Medical Exemption Certificate which can be used for all prescriptions once you have it.

• Like Like x 1
    #2 urbanracer, May 17, 2020 at 11:57 AM
    Last edited: May 17, 2020
  3. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Just phone up the NHS Business Services Authority to cancel your current prepayment card and then apply for the Medical Exemption card, you need a form from your GP. Here’s more info:
    https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/help-with-health-costs/get-help-with-prescription-costs/
    It does cover all meds so long as you remain on diabetic meds. If you have to pay for prescriptions in the mean time explain to the pharmacy that you’re waiting for your new card. You can get fined if you claim free prescriptions without a card, but they can issue a receipt and you can claim back the cost once you receive your new card.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Tel14

Tel14 · Member

Great, thanks for taking time to reply, much appreciated!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tel14

Tel14 · Member

Great, thanks for taking time to reply, much appreciated!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Bildad

Bildad Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

It actually covers all your meds to the end date of the
    card even if you come off diabetes meds.
    I came off my diabetes meds last year and rang to tell them to see if I needed to send the card back or just destroy it. I was told that it remained valid until the end date. Good news!

7. CelalDari

CelalDari · Guest

You qualify for a medical exemption certificate if your diabetes is not managed by just diet alone which means you have to take tablets and/or insulin. You can request the form from your GP, it is a quick process just asking for simple details such as your qualifying medical condition, NHS number and basic personal details. Your GP will access your medical records and confirm your illness then send the form to the appropriate place (although they may ask you to send it).

You should receive your medical exemption certificate through the post. I am sure it will take a few weeks probably maximum 3 weeks or so. I’m still waiting on mine but it has only been a week and a half or so.

You become exempt from all prescription charges so anything prescribed by a doctor will be absolutely free whether that is insulin, anti-diabetic tablets or something as simple as an antibiotic like Amoxcillin. Obviously over-the-counter medication still comes out of your pocket.

You should ideally fill the form in as soon as possible. You should cancel your monthly pre-payment card and pay as you go for any medication until you receive your certificate.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook